Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

On 1/19/2023 at 7:11 AM, SpiderByte said:

Bassett just got nominated for a BAFTA, which basically locks in her as frontrunner for the Oscar. Gonna be interesting takes when she takes the stage to win that...

You done jinxed it lol.

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Yeah I understimated how much the Academy would award JLC for just showing up to work and standing in front of a camera

4 nominees got robbed at once but hey at least JLC got an Oscar out of it.

Why are we talking about the Russo's in this thread. This is not Eternals ,DS2, Thor or Any Man situation. BPWK was a critical and Boxoffice hit. Also is becoming a streaming monster. 5 Academy awards Nominations including the MCU very first acting nod and a second Oscar win for Ruth Carter. The MCU has a lot of problems but Ryan Coogler definitely not one of them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Noctis said:

Angela Bassett lost to Jamie Lee Curtis who barely had any impact in the film? What is going on?

In a race without the frontrunner, actor from the Picture winner tends to coattail the movie. Happened with McDormand/Nomadland where the race was 4-way (4 actresses won 1 precursor each). In this case, it was 3-way race between JLC (SAG), Condon (BAFTA) and Bassett (Globe). Actress from the Picture winner won. 

Edited by Valonqar

I won't get into a debate about who should have won, but I think that the Oscar voters are less likely to automaticallly vote for  a deceased nominee or vote "Sympathy" oscars in general is a good thing.

Edited by dudalb

5 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

For so long people were trying their best to claim that it barely broke even lol.

It wasn't that. It's just that in comparison to the first one, it was quite the drop off. Given the movie didn't even have the main character from the first movie though, I'm not that surprised but still.