Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

I would personally be happy with 24 in 2 years. 9 was my concession to reality, I could accept 8 (and this may still happen, we’ll see) but 7 is under capacity relative to what we have consistently seen penciled  in for phase 4.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Val357 said:

I'm loving what is either @Let There Be Legion's refreshing honesty or trolling haha!

Oh Legion is definitely not trolling about this. He's said repeatedly he wants at least 6 MCU movies a year. I personally think more than 4 is overkill even to me as a hardcore fan, but Legion is on another level of dedication. 

• Like 2

The movies need time to breathe. They need time to be marketed on their own without overlap. If you start marketing like six or seven a year, they’re going to cannibalize on each other. I’m not saying that people aren’t going to watch all the content. I’m just saying that it doesn’t feel healthy to the company’s longevity. I think three series + three movies a year is perfect. You’re basically giving the fandom weekly content, but nothing’s overlapping

32 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

Oh Legion is definitely not trolling about this. He's said repeatedly he wants at least 6 MCU movies a year. I personally think more than 4 is overkill even to me as a hardcore fan, but Legion is on another level of dedication. 

Ok then he's being refreshingly honest. Genuineness is in short supply nowadays.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lion Roar said:

I don’t think I’ve said at least 6. I would say at least 4.5, with 6 being nice and -8 being where I start to actually be concerned about oversaturation kind of stuff.   

One thing that I think is easy to overlook is how many active subfranchises there are now. Back in phase 1 and 2 you could put out like 2 movies/yr, and a sequel for a certain character every 2 or 3 years, and because you only had like 3 subfranchises the math worked out totally chill for a mix of sequels and new entries.

Now in terms of active subfranchises we are about to have:

Thor (first solo 4quel, who knows if we get 5+)

Cap (a new trilogy?)

Avengers

Ant-Man (4+ possible)

DS

Spidey (4+ possible)

BP

CM

BW (assuming some Pughquels)
Shang-Chi

Eternals

Fantastic4

Blade

Deadpool (4+ possible)

Count ‘em. 14. That means if you want to keep things fresh by introducing new ones (and I think a lot of the “marvel is putting out too many movies” people would complain vociferously if they moved to a literal “only sequels” model) going at a pace of just 3.5 a year leaves you waiting 6 years for Shang-Chi 2. 6 years for Eternals 2. Mahershala Ali comes in for blade 2 in like 2030 and blade 3 in 2036 or some shit.    

There is a cold mathematical truth here that goes generally unconsidered imo. The choice is between 4.5+ per year and being glacially slow to give Simu Liu, Wakanda, and other beloved breakouts another turn to star (they can appear in other properties faster of course but that’s not really the same thing).

Edited by Let There Be Legion
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Val357 said:

Ok then he's being refreshingly honest. Genuineness is in short supply nowadays.

Refreshingly honest+often contrarian+usually right (YMMV with subjective stuff, but this is provable on more quantitative stuff) is like my whole brand 😛 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cap said:

They need time to be marketed on their own without overlap.

But y tho? Do we have any real evidence for this? Hollywood marketing campaigns seem excessively long regardless of spacing and the mcu practically markets itself in the 2020s.  

2 hours ago, Cap said:

I’m not saying that people aren’t going to watch all the content.

They shouldn’t! I mean, I do, but this isn’t a normal or necessarily healthy way for a busy GA member to interact with the MCU. It’s intended to be a buffet, not as eating contest.

If you had a year with DS+thor+BP+cm+blade+ant-man, and somebody only watched BP, Blade, and ant-man because those are the corners of the universe that appealed to their particular tastes, that’s not a case of “people only watched half our movies, that’s bad” it’s a case of “people were empowered with more choices, and they get to keep up with the subfranchises they like without 5 year waits, that’s good.”

2 hours ago, Cap said:

I think three series + three movies a year is perfect

Captain America Listening GIF by Spider-Man

We have 4 movies and 5 shows (37 eps) this year and have had way too many drought weeks. If we must settle for a slow 4/yr pace on movies, gotta have 5 shows+a special at absolute minimum.

• Like 2

Yeah I think with the amount of sub franchises with MCU has it almost nessitates having 4 a year or you end up waiting 4 or 5 years between sequels which is not ideal. Especially if Marvel wants to keep introducing new characters and concepts which I'm all for. 

I agree in that I think despite there being an overall MCU fanbase who will show up to every movie and TV show the majority of casuals will just pick and choose which is fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Let There Be Legion said:

One thing that I think is easy to overlook is how many active subfranchises there are now. Back in phase 1 and 2 you could put out like 2 movies/yr, and a sequel for a certain character every 2 or 3 years, and because you only had like 3 subfranchises the math worked out totally chill for a mix of sequels and new entries.

This.

People tend to think MCU as one franchise ignoring the sub franchise. You know its been 5 years since we had Doctor Strange movie. 4 years since we had GoTG and Thor. Yes they are all Marvel but there is following and liking for those sub franchises in fanbase as well, though majority are ones who like them all.

This is why there is no fatigue felt. 

And sub franchises keep growing. Marvel is adding two Movie IPs this year to the list. Shang Chi and Eternals (10 HEROES)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

though majority are ones who like them all.

I’m sure marvel has good internal stats on this, but I would actually bet that majority of audience are pick and choosers, not watch everything type. I mean comparing BO of IW and Wasp it’s kind of inevitable.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

I’m sure marvel has good internal stats on this, but I would actually bet that majority of audience are pick and choosers, not watch everything type. I mean comparing BO of IW and Wasp it’s kind of inevitable.

I guess yeah, depend on movie urgency and scale too I guess?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Let There Be Legion said:

I don’t think I’ve said at least 6. I would say at least 4.5, with 6 being nice and -8 being where I start to actually be concerned about oversaturation kind of stuff.   

Now in terms of active subfranchises we are about to have:

Thor (first solo 4quel, who knows if we get 5+)

Cap (a new trilogy?)

Avengers

Ant-Man (4+ possible)

DS

Spidey (4+ possible)

BP

CM

BW (assuming some Pughquels)
Shang-Chi

Eternals

Fantastic4

Blade

Deadpool (4+ possible)

Count ‘em. 14. That means if you want to keep things fresh by introducing new ones (and I think a lot of the “marvel is putting out too many movies” people would complain vociferously if they moved to a literal “only sequels” model) going at a pace of just 3.5 a year leaves you waiting 6 years for Shang-Chi 2. 6 years for Eternals 2. Mahershala Ali comes in for blade 2 in like 2030 and blade 3 in 2036 or some shit.    

There is a cold mathematical truth here that goes generally unconsidered imo. The choice is between 4.5+ per year and being glacially slow to give Simu Liu, Wakanda, and other beloved breakouts another turn to star (they can appear in other properties faster of course but that’s not really the same thing).

You know, I was thinking about this awhile ago but it didn't really click (ie. as a problem to which the fix would be more movies per year). I was thinking about how long sequels are taking because of the amount of other films that are occupying so many release date slots. It really is a very real factor and not about "gimme more Marvel movies!!!". It's not a problem per se, it's just a new reality that Marvel Studios has presented itself with having built this unprecedented, rapidly growing film universe and narrative. They wanted to go down this road, but now they have to keep up with it.

As far as fatigue and the market, I think the market can handle it because Marvel has transcended all the traditional box office rules. We're dealing with a whole different product than normal movies now. George Lucas would talk about Saturday serials like Flash Gordon being one of his inspirations for Star Wars. I think this is becoming more like that. People will go to the theatres regularly to tune in to the latest chapter of the Marvel universe like they would turn on their favourite TV program every week, or pick up the latest comic issue every month.

• Like 1

One obvious solution to having too many subfranchises going is just to let things die after 3 like Iron man did. That is what I assumed the model would be in 2017 or so, but love and thunder+cap 4+assumed Spidey 4 starts to make trilogies look more like exception than rule, and if you're going to beaking 4-5 of everything that's when you sort of have no choice but to turn to lots per year.