Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Venom with -55.5% drop - 35.7m | A Star is Born -34.7% - 28m | First Man disappointing with 16.5m | Goosebumps 2 16.225m | Bad Times for Bad Times At The El Royale with 7.225m

1 minute ago, feasby007 said:

Guys... I have the option between El Royale and First Man to go watch tonight (in about an hour).

Both 141 mins, so time can't help me decide. Any opinions on which I should watch? Rotten Tomatoes had Critics swing towards FM and audiences towards BTatER

Thanks for any help :) 

What would you prefer more: Oscar-bait biopic or Tarantino-esque thriller? That should help with your choice.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Firepower said:

What would you prefer more: Oscar-bait biopic or Tarantino-esque thriller? That should help with your choice.

To be honest, I'd rather go watch Smallfoot (that also came out today in UK) :hahaha:

but sadly no evening showings of it at my theatre.

I think I'm gonna go with El Royale, not really feeling 141 minutes of biopic right now

This is going to be one of the most interesting weekends I've seen in a while, on all sorts of fronts. We have First Man and Bad Times at the El Royale, two debuts I'm eagerly awaiting to see. Then there's the two big holdovers, Venom and A Star is Born. Faith-based distributor GVN Releasing is putting out the courtroom drama Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer, which might be able to gross better than some of this year's other faith-based films out of completely nowhere. Then, there's some intriguing platform debuts, Beautiful BoyBigger, and The Oath. And I definitely want to see how Colette, Free Solo, and The Hate U Give are able to perform in their expansions.

Plus, there's some other weird, atypical releases in some of my town's theaters besides Gosnell and Colette. I don't understand how a weird Fifty Shades ripoff starring Vivica A. Fox, Kinky, was able to secure showtimes in a whopping two out of three of my town's theaters. Then, one of my theaters has the well-reviewed IFC release Black '47, a thriller set in Ireland during 1847. I'm not sure how that film got there, though in that film's case, that's not necessarily a bad thing. And I also have absolutely no idea why that same theater is still wanting to play two low grossers, Life Itself and Operation Finale. Weird.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 1

I find all statements about "bad actor" Gosling pretty funny.

Of course Ryan doesn't have high-level perfomance like Casey Affleck in the "Manchester by the Sea" or Michael Keaton in the "Spotlight" (I took this examples 'cause type of silent acting with subtle work with the character).

But he is decent actor.

"Bad acting"- this is a Channing Tatum area.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Still trying to figure out what was so special about Casey Affleck's performance. He was fine but nothing stellar in my opinion. I love Ryan Gosling. 

Affleck in Manchester by the Sea is one of the more deserving Best Actor wins in the last ten years. I'd even consider it the best among all of this decade's winners in that category.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1