Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Venom with -55.5% drop - 35.7m | A Star is Born -34.7% - 28m | First Man disappointing with 16.5m | Goosebumps 2 16.225m | Bad Times for Bad Times At The El Royale with 7.225m

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Already excited for the future Blank Check First Man episode.

really feel chazelle blew his la la land blank check big time by doing this. i'll see it this weekend but i was for sure disappointed when it was announced this is what he was cashing in on. dude's ambition is to be millennial ron howard? c'mon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

really feel chazelle blew his la la land blank check big time by doing this. i'll see it this weekend but i was for sure disappointed when it was announced this is what he was cashing in on. dude's ambition is to be millennial ron howard? c'mon.

Griffin: "So he wins the Oscar and Universal gives him SIXTY MILLION to make a Neil Armstrong biopic."

David: "Yeah, it's pretty crazy."

Griffin: "Insane."

Ben: "Can I be honest? I fell asleep about twenty minutes in."

• Like 4

Also i don't believe people who say this is biopic by the numbers. It's a movie from fucking Damien Chazelle. He doesn't make ordinary films. And i read many pieces that said this is completely different space movie than anything we have seen so far. more realistic and gritty.

• Like 2

Looking at the timeline Chazelle was hired for this after Whiplash, not La la land.

Gosling signed in 2015:

https://deadline.com/2015/11/ryan-gosling-neil-armstrong-movie-first-man-damien-chazelle-1201636876/

With Chazelle already being the director attached, maybe they boosted the budget a little bit after all the La la land glory and that he got more liberties but I would imagine it was never cheap considering the story.

• Astonished 1

Just now, Damianport1 said:

Also i don't believe people who say this is biopic by the numbers. It's a movie from fucking Damien Chazelle. He doesn't make ordinary films. And i read many pieces that said this is completely different space movie than anything we have seen so far. more realistic and gritty.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. Don't know if it's anything revolutionary or different from other space movies, but it's certainly not by the numbers. From a visual standpoint alone it's pretty stellar and makes it worth seeing in the theater, and Chazelle really delivers with both Armstrong as a character, as well as his journey.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Hopefully Universal won't force First Man onto the home market by the time Oscar noms are announced so that it can have an IMAX re-release.

You already know the truth. It's gonna be on digital HD by Christmas.

2 hours ago, Nova said:

What are you talking about? I didn't compare First Man to biopics or the Titanic. I compared it to other space movies that people keep comparing it to. Which isn't a fair comparison for it since it is a biopic. The majority of biopics have relatively lower box office numbers than one would expect because people know what happens in the movie with the rare exceptions of films like Straight Out of Compton 

Also The Titanic wasn't a biopic. Sure in the titanic, everyone knows it sinks. but people didn't go to the theater to see the titanic sink. They went to see the story that happens between Jack and Rose and the journey they have as the boat sinks....something the audience didn't know about because they are fictional characters. 

I'm saying that knowing what happened during a big historical event won't stop people from seeing movies about said event, in fact that's probably WHY people will go to watch it, because they know the story and want to see it played out onscreen.

Also people totally went to see the boat sink, that's ridiculous.

Just now, antovolk said:

what do you guys think would have happened had they released FM during the summer like Dunkirk?

I always thought it should've opened there as a counterprogramming move (they could've easily put it on June 29 when the openers were Sicario 2 and Uncle Drew) but I suspect it still wouldn't have come close to approaching "blockbuster" numbers. Maybe a $20M+ opening plus great legs.