Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Venom with -55.5% drop - 35.7m | A Star is Born -34.7% - 28m | First Man disappointing with 16.5m | Goosebumps 2 16.225m | Bad Times for Bad Times At The El Royale with 7.225m

Venom doesn't need any prayer cirlce but am starting one for it to hit 9-9.5m (a very achievable +112-124%) on Friday 🙏

9.5 (+124%)

15.0 (+58%)

9.5 (-37%)

= 34.0 (-58%)

Edited by a2k

12 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

First Man 68% Audience Score on RT 😀

That's because of annoying morons that are determined to hate it before they see it.

Only giving it a partial star b/c I really liked Gosling in Blade Runner 2049. I am so sick of Hollywood flipping the bird at America. Thought I could get passed it, hoping other aspects of t he film would distract me from the painfully obvious omissions of this historical AMERICAN achievement. 
Where's the flag?

no flag....no ticket purchase.

When I want to see a true story I want it to be factual otherwise it's just fiction. 

Horribly depressing film 

Cinematography was lacking 

There's nothing wrong with America and Americans being proud and excited to be the first to land on the moon. It's the whole "everyone gets a trophy" mentality that we are putting on our children. In real life some people are better at certain things than others, that's called reality. Save your money on this one! 

BOOOOOOOO no flag no stars

Let's see, a movie about the first American man to step face on the moon BUT THEY OMIT THE PLANTING OF THE AMERICAN FLAG. Hollywood politics at its absolute worst.

Not interested because Ryan Gosling attempts to rewrite history by NOT including the placing of an American Flag on the moon. If it was the "world" accomplishment why wasn't a UN flag actually used? Revisioned history is Not acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2

Feel like the buzz for First Man was never higher than when it was announced. The first trailer drop had a decent pop off, but for some reason the hype has just been gliding down as we got closer to launch date. I can't really figure out why. Maybe it was the dour look of the film or Goslings non emotion? I don't know, I am super hyped and seeing it tomorrow. But I had thought this was gonna do like 45m this weekend. That does't look to be the case.

This could be a me thing, but I honestly feel like the marketing killed First Man. The trailers for this were super generic and the only reason I was remotely interested was Chazelle. Seems like the same case for the GA. Of course, an opening in the 20s or even high teens would still be okay for this 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

This could be a me thing, but I honestly feel like the marketing killed First Man. The trailers for this were super generic and the only reason I was remotely interested was Chazelle. Seems like the same case for the GA. Of course, an opening in the 20s or even high teens would still be okay for this 

The story is boring. We know he made it to the moon. 2.5 hours of Ryan Blanding on a journey we all know while that girl from The Crown who'll never be a star says cringy 2018 buzz quotes like "ya'll are just a buch of dumb white boys, you have no idea what you're doing!" 

• Haha 2

The fact that First Man has the potential to go $20M+ is an achievement itself. The marketing was bland as fuck imo. Ryan Gosling has zero charisma...on or off the screen (okay he was good in The Nice Guys and Drive but bland in everything else he's done) But most importantly: everyone knows what happens. They land on the moon. A part of why space movies like Gravity, The Martian and Interstellar were so big is because the audience doesn't know what happens. That's part of the enjoyment of going to see these types of movies. The suspense of sitting in theaters and watching everything unfold to get to an ending that we don't know. With First Man, I already know the ending to the film and hell I know what happens in between too. 

First Man is history channel movie that's going to make $75-$100M domestic. An achievement if you ask me. 

Hemsworth will be the only one from the Big 3 to not leave the MCU.

First Man should have been a musical, or a sci-fi film, or both.

Who wants to see a 2,5h talky, convoluted  movie set in a freaking hotel ?

Venom better drop near 70% or else ...

Edited by The Futurist

17 minutes ago, Nova said:

The fact that First Man has the potential to go $20M+ is an achievement itself. The marketing was bland as fuck imo. Ryan Gosling has zero charisma...on or off the screen (okay he was good in The Nice Guys and Drive but bland in everything else he's done) But most importantly: everyone knows what happens. They land on the moon. A part of why space movies like Gravity, The Martian and Interstellar were so big is because the audience doesn't know what happens. That's part of the enjoyment of going to see these types of movies. The suspense of sitting in theaters and watching everything unfold to get to an ending that we don't know. With First Man, I already know the ending to the film and hell I know what happens in between too. 

First Man is history channel movie that's going to make $75-$100M domestic. An achievement if you ask me. 

I mean everyone knew the Titanic sank... I don't get that argument at all.

• Like 4

Just now, MOVIEGUY said:

The difference there is Titanic was mainly about two fictionalized characters whose fates we didn't know of. That can't be said of First Man (or most biopics for that matter).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Because the Titanic sinking and thousands of people dying looks way more epic than Ryan Gosling looking bored while trying to play an astronaute.

• Like 3

I definitely think an underforformance for First Man should be chalked up to relatively bland trailers, and movies like Star Is Born sucking up all the hype from the adult crowd. People knowing what happens at the end never really hurts biopics.

Also, my Astronomy prof brought up the movie quite a few times this morning. "He and the wife liked it last night"

26 minutes ago, Nova said:

It does have a $59M production budget (if you take the lowest number from Wiki - $70M if you don't)...it's gonna need $75M DOM, since I'm not expecting huge international numbers for an American focused movie...

Edited by TwoMisfits

18 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

What are you talking about? I didn't compare First Man to biopics or the Titanic. I compared it to other space movies that people keep comparing it to. Which isn't a fair comparison for it since it is a biopic. The majority of biopics have relatively lower box office numbers than one would expect because people know what happens in the movie with the rare exceptions of films like Straight Out of Compton 

Also The Titanic wasn't a biopic. Sure in the titanic, everyone knows it sinks. but people didn't go to the theater to see the titanic sink. They went to see the story that happens between Jack and Rose and the journey they have as the boat sinks....something the audience didn't know about because they are fictional characters. 

Edited by Nova