GRADE IT  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Widows is, more than anything else, ambitious. McQueen’s latest strives to appeal to the mainstream while continuing to engage with the tough topics his films always tackle. It succeeds at both, but keep in mind, this is more a Steve McQueen movie than anything else. This makes me think it may misfire with mainstream audiences, but I loved it. Tense sequences are punctuated with marvelously wry humor and the film has its eyes on many hot-button topics that weave together to make a sprawling epic of the Windy City. If anything, the film tackles too much; there’s quite a bit here that feels glossed over or not given the time to breath to fit in the two-hour runtime. One can easily tell this is adapted from a miniseries, and indeed, it may have been better staying in that format for an American adaptation. Still, there’s enough going here emotionally and character-wise that the overly complex story works nevertheless.

Davis puts forth another marvelous lead role, and Rodriguez and Debecki are the stand-outs, the former doing smart subtle acting and the latter giving a showy role a lot of unexpected dimension. Kaluuya steals the show in his scenes, but one will definitely wish his role was larger, as it really doesn’t amount to much time on screen. Indeed, that goes back to the main problem of the film: there is no one weak in this cast, but several characters get the short shrift on having fully convincing arcs just because of the short runtime.

However, is this really a problem for Widows? I’d say no. To want more of a movie is an asset, showing that the world and characters are fascinating enough to be longer than what’s given to us. Flynn and McQueen’s tale encompasses political corruption, gender politics, and racial complexities of today’s society, building it together into a spectacular fable. What this fable exactly means, I can’t gather after first watch, but I will gladly be returning to Widows when it enters wide-release. This is the good stuff, folks. A

(When I saw this, it was introduced by Steve McQueen, who introduced Gillian Flynn and the members of the cast in attendance: Brian Tyree Henry, Michelle Rodriguez, Liam Neeson, Cynthia Erivo, and Viola Davis. Definitely added to my hype for the movie, but yeah, this would’ve been tight regardless.)

• Like 1

Sorry Blank but why would you ask for this now?  I can appreciate that you have seen it, but this doesn't come out for another month here in NA.  I'll pin it but this should have been added much later.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dr Loomis baumer said:

Sorry Blank but why would you ask for this now?  I can appreciate that you have seen it, but this doesn't come out for another month here in NA.  I'll pin it but this should have been added much later.

Someone in the thread had asked for a review in the thread, so I was like, I can do it in RTM if you want. I didn't wanna keep posting in the BOD thread about detailed thoughts on the film so I asked for it here

If you want, you can unpin it for now and I can remind you to repin the week it comes out; I'll take responsibility for that

• Like 1

Naaa....it's okay...your review is a good one....I'll keep it up here.  :)

• Thanks 1

just repeating what i said in the other thread; really good but overstuffed for sure, every storyline feels like it needed just a little bit more room to breathe (like i'd like to have seen at least one post-heist scene with farrell or brian tyree henry even if that's Not The Point) though having too much to say is never that much of a negative really. mcqeen proves he can keep his arthouse style while making something mainstream and fun the heist sequence is top notch stuff.

the whole cast is great, debicki was my favourite. there was a moment after the "twist" where i thought the movie was actually gonna give carrie coon something to do, but nah. shame.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2