WrathOfHan

Box Office Theory's Top 50 Horror Movies (2018): THE REVEAL | The countdown is complete! Full list in the first post

29. It Follows (2015) (48.5 points)

MV5BMmU0MjBlYzYtZWY0MC00MjliLWI3ZmUtMzhl

Director and Screenwriter: David Robert Mitchell

Starring: Maika Monroe, Keir Gilchrist, Daniel Zovatto, Jake Weary, Olivia Luccardi, and Lili Sepe

Synopsis: A young woman is followed by an unknown supernatural force after a sexual encounter.

Box Office: 23.3M

97% on Rotten Tomatoes, 83 on Metacritic

Submissions Received: 8

Average Position: 16th

The best abstinence advertisement of all time? David Robert Mitchell’s It Follows is one of the most-acclaimed indie horror movies of the past few years for a good reason. In addition to the thematic debates on what exactly “It” means, the film contains so many strong sequences that rely on the atmosphere to provide the scares. The “It” of the film can only be seen by the protagonist Jay, and most of the characters cannot see where it comes from. This makes many of the film’s shots appear empty, yet the threat of the entity is always present. Thanks to Mitchell’s excellent direction, It Follows always keeps you on the edge of your seat as the fear of the unknown looms over you.

It Follows received lots of passion from users. No submission had it below 25th, and half of the votes were in top 15s.

giphy.gif

• Like 7

Gonna take a break for now, but here are the movies that received 3 points (and for the first two, 3.5 points):

248. The Hidden

249. Jacob’s Ladder

250. Alice

251. Alien: Resurrection

252. April Fools Day

253. The Autopsy of Jane Doe

254. The Babysitter

255. Bad Taste

256. Black Sabbath

257. Bride of Chucky

258. Carnival of Souls

259. The Crazies (2010)

260. Dead Ringers

261. Friday the 13th (2009)

262. Friday the 13th Part 3D

263. Final Destination 3

264. The Grudge (Japan)

265. Hausu

266. House of Wax (2005)

267. Jason X

268. Krampus

269. Lost Highway

270. I Still Know What You Did Last Summer

271. The Masque of Red Death (1964)

272. Night of the Creeps

273. Piranha 3D

274. Ravenous

275. Raw

276. Santa Sangre

277. The Serpent and the Rainbow

278. Son of Frankenstein

279. Sleepy Hollow

280. Tremors

281. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

282. Under the Skin

283. Upgrade

tumblr_nz5j7zeEAL1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Gonna take a break for now, but here are the movies that received 3 points (and for the first two, 3.5 points):

257. Bride of Chucky

261. Friday the 13th (2009)

263. Final Destination 3

266. House of Wax (2005)

267. Jason X

270. I Still Know What You Did Last Summer

273. Piranha 3D

Those were definitely from me lol 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

250. Alice

265. Hausu

280. Tremors

I'm guessing these are the ones that I put on the list. Alice and, to a lesser extent, Hausu I get, but I'm genuinely surprised no-one else apparently voted for Tremors.

• Like 1

28. The Omen (1976) (50 points)

MV5BZmNjZDcwNTMtMjQxMy00ZTY5LTg4M2YtYjA5

Director: Richard Donner

Screenwriter: David Seltzer

Starring: Gregory Peck, Lee Remick, David Warner, and Billie Whitelaw

Synopsis: Mysterious deaths surround an American ambassador. Could the child that he is raising actually be the Antichrist? The Devil's own son?

Box Office: 60.9M

86% on Rotten Tomatoes, 62 on Metacritic

Nominated for 2 Academy Awards, winning one for Best Original Score

Average Position: 17th

Top 5 Placements: 1

The Omen was one of the most popular horror movies in the 1970s. This was Richard Donner’s breakout film and landed him Superman two years later. Something The Omen is notable for is that it was one of the first mainstream films to heavily feature the Antichrist concept. Rosemary’s Baby toyed around with this idea seven years earlier, but that film portrays the Antichrist as the mere result of a cult tampering with a child. In The Omen, Damien is definitively the Antichrist, and chaos ensues. This is a film audiences loved back when it first released, and to this day, it is still extremely popular among horror fans.

The Omen got a nice boost on the countdown thanks to a second place submission. Additionally, 7/8 votes were 22nd or higher, showing off a fair amount of passion for this film.

the-omen.gif

• Like 9

27. The VVitch: A New-England Folktale (2016) (53 points)

MV5BMTUyNzkwMzAxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzc1

Director and Screenwriter: Robert Eggers

Starring: Anya Taylor-Joy, Ralph Ineson, Kate Dickie, Harvey Scrimshaw, Ellie Grainger, and Lucas Dawson

Synopsis: A family in 1630s New England is torn apart by the forces of witchcraft, black magic and possession.

Box Office: 40.4M

91% on Rotten Tomatoes, 83 on Metacritic

16th on Box Office Theory’s Top 25 of 2016

Submissions Received: 9

Average Position: 19th

I have slowly been coming to the conclusion since its release that The Witch is in the top 3 horror films released over the past three years. It is a film that relishes so much in its environment, and even though there is only one “jumpscare” in the entire film (Black Phillip is bae), the movie’s sense of dread is enough to terrify you. Anya Taylor-Joy gives a breakout performance as Thomasin, a teenager who must deal with being looked down upon by her parents in her family’s time of peril. This makes The Witch a close, tight-knit drama in additional to the supernatural horror film it already is because you sympathize so much with Thomasin’s unfortunate position. This is a film that has an instantly recognizable air to it, and I do not think any other horror film has done what Robert Eggers did with The Witch. It truly is a modern day horror masterpiece.

The Witch received tons of love from users. There were two top ten placements (one of which was in the top 3), and most other users tended to stick it in the upper half of their lists. It shares the same number of points as our next film, but like other instances on the countdown, it had the advantage with one extra list.

black-phillip-up-to-no-good.gif

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

28. The Omen (1976) (50 points)

MV5BZmNjZDcwNTMtMjQxMy00ZTY5LTg4M2YtYjA5

Director: Richard Donner

Screenwriter: David Seltzer

Starring: Gregory Peck, Lee Remick, David Warner, and Billie Whitelaw

Synopsis: Mysterious deaths surround an American ambassador. Could the child that he is raising actually be the Antichrist? The Devil's own son?

Box Office: 60.9M

86% on Rotten Tomatoes, 62 on Metacritic

Nominated for 2 Academy Awards, winning one for Best Original Score

Average Position: 17th

The Omen was one of the most popular horror movies in the 1970s. This was Richard Donner’s breakout film and landed him Superman two years later. Something The Omen is notable for is that it was one of the first mainstream films to heavily feature the Antichrist concept. Rosemary’s Baby toyed around with this idea seven years earlier, but that film portrays the Antichrist as the mere result of a cult tampering with a child. In The Omen, Damien is definitively the Antichrist, and chaos ensues. This is a film audiences loved back when it first released, and to this day, it is still extremely popular among horror fans.

The Omen got a nice boost on the countdown thanks to a second place submission. Additionally, 7/8 votes were 22nd or higher, showing off a fair amount of passion for this film.

the-omen.gif

The Omen has one of the more infamous (iconic) deaths ever filmed

• Like 1

26. Night of the Living Dead (1966) (53 points)

MV5BMjRjZjE3OGUtYzIyYy00NGRkLTliYTUtYmI1

Director: George A. Romero

Screenwriters: John Russo and George A. Romero

Starring: Judith O’Dea, Duane Jones, Marilyn Eastman, Karl Hardman, Judith Ridley, and Keith Wayne

Synopsis: There is panic throughout the nation as the dead suddenly come back to life. The film follows a group of characters who barricade

themselves in an old farmhouse in an attempt to remain safe from these bloodthirsty, flesh-eating monsters.

Box Office: 30M

97% on Rotten Tomatoes, 88 on Metacritic

Submissions Received: 10

Average Position: 24th

Number One Placements: 1

George A. Romero might as well be considered the creator of the zombie craze. Night of the Living Dead was notable for turning zombies into flesh-eating creatures, and this type of zombie has become the primary characterization for the creature ever since the release of this film. Made independently on a miniscule budget with Romero handling cinematography and editing in addition to directing, Night of the Living Dead is a groundbreaking film that became a defining voice in independent cinema. Audiences came out in droves to see this film, and it adjusts to over 230M in 2018. For a film made and released without the backing of a major studio, that is already an impressive total, but when you add in the fact that independent filmmaking was rarely attempted back in the 60s, that makes the film’s success even more impressive (the next film on the countdown is a notable indie success as well). Night of the Living Dead is a staple of the horror genre and one of the most important films ever made.

Night of the Living Dead was a popular pick among users. Its position on the list is largely thanks to a first-place vote; had it not gotten that vote, it would have been down one spot and tied with The Omen point-wise. Half of the lists with this film on it submitted this in the bottom half.

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

25. The Blair Witch Project (1999) (53.5 points)

MV5BNzQ1NDBlNDItMDAyYS00YTI2LTgwMmYtMzAw

Directors and Screenwriters: Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez

Starring: Heather Donahue, Michael C. Williams, and Joshua Leonard

Synopsis: Three film students vanish after traveling into a Maryland forest to film a documentary on the local Blair Witch legend, leaving only their footage behind.

Box Office: 248.6M

87% on Rotten Tomatoes, 81 on Metacritic

Submissions Received: 10

Average Position: 18th

Number One Placements: 1

Top 5 Placements: 2

As I mentioned with the last entry, we have another breakthrough indie horror film on the countdown. This time, it is The Blair Witch Project. By this point, independent cinema has skyrocketed. Indie studios like Miramax, Fox Searchlight, and Sony Pictures Classics were booming on the verge of the new millennium, and independent cinema was providing bold new ideas from filmmakers. The Blair Witch Project premiered at the Sundance Film Festival with immense buzz for its found footage style, and for the next 7 months, even more hype was building online. The film managed to achieve over a 4.5x from its wide opening weekend, and although it never managed to hit number one (another horror film somewhere on the countdown was one of the main reasons why), it had strong weekends throughout August. Audiences were intrigued by the film’s premise but had varying reactions; however, it was a true EVENT that people had to see. Today, reception is still mixed. Obviously you have a lot of people that love it as evident by its placement right in the middle of our countdown, but there are others who feel the film is not scary and just wanders around in circles (I am in the latter camp fwiw). Even with that in mind, The Blair Witch Project still revolutionized the genre and did something new, and that cannot be ignored.

The Blair Witch Project was a big passion pick. It received a number one vote along with three more top ten placements, and three of the other votes were in top twenty-fives. As I said, this is a love it or hate it film, and those who love it really love it.

tumblr_otkj4uBl9W1vxy2a1o1_500.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm really glad to see It Follows make the list.  It's one of the five best horror films of the last five years imo.  

NOTLD was number 23 on my list.  It's a game changer.

Sorry to ask this @WrathOfHan but I haven't seen Last house on the Left mentioned in any of the outside the countdown films yet.  Did I miss it?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Loomis baumer said:

I'm really glad to see It Follows make the list.  It's one of the five best horror films of the last five years imo.  

NOTLD was number 23 on my list.  It's a game changer.

Sorry to ask this @WrathOfHan but I haven't seen Last house on the Left mentioned in any of the outside the countdown films yet.  Did I miss it?  

It has not shown up yet.

• Like 1

Here are the movies that received 4 and 5 points: (199-203 received 5 points from two votes, 204-230 received 5 points from one vote, 231 received 4.5 points from one vote, and the rest were all 4 points from one vote):

199. Alien: Covenant

200. Evil Dead (2013)

201. The Fog

202. The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

203. It Comes at Night

204. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

205. Alone

206. Anatomie

207. The Bay

208. The Brood

209. Cherry Falls

210. The Cloverfield Paradox

211. The Day of the Triffids

212. The Devil’s Rejects

213. Dust Devil

214. Frankenstein Created Woman

215. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night

216. Goodnight Mommy

217. Halloween III: Season of the Witch

218. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

219. House of Wax (1952)

220. The Invitation

221. Manhunter

222. The Neon Demon

223. Ouija: Origin of Evil

224. Paranormal Activity 3

225. Pi

226. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

227. Videodrome

228. Village of the Damned

229. Wolf Creek

230. Wrong Turn 2

231. Faust

232. Alligator

233. Bay of Blood (1971)

234. The Beyond

235. The Borderlands

236. Coraline

237. The Entity

238. The Grudge (USA)

239. Kuroneko

240. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4

241. Predator

242. The Prophecy

243. Scream 3

244. Shadow of the Vampire

245. Tenebrae

246. Valentine

247. The Wicker Man (1973)

GsRu.gif

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I was the one who picked The Omen as my #2 and The Witch as my #3. I loved both of these movies. Omen for the antichrist concept and Witch for its atmosphere. Both of these are not your typical demon type horror movies and hardly have many jump scares but they both excel in atmosphere and world building. 

And yes that Black Phillip scene is scary as fuck and the satan scene with the document signing is even more scary. 

Glad to see both of these make it onto the list

• Like 2

Anya Taylor-Joy is a queen, and if anything, I'm glad The Witch exists so she can become a future superstar.

Blair Witch Project is also probably my favorite horror film (at least, from the little I've seen). Everything about it just clicks, and I can't see any other found footage film topping the effectiveness of that film. The ending especially is amazing and still creeps me out just thinking about it.

• Like 2

It Follows is one of the best horror movies of all time. The atmosphere and paranoia in that film are outstanding.

I adore Tremors, but I didn't include it because it's not really pure horror in my mind. Much more of a fun adventure.

Looks like I'm the only person who voted for The Devil's Rejects. The violence in that film is truly horrific. It bothered me. And I'm so jaded on this horror stuff that not many films can do that to me these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Aw man!

@WrathOfHan

just out of curiosity, was I the only person who had Valentine on their list? 

😂

Yes. We're starting to get into submissions that were on multiple lists, but everything receiving 4.5 points or below only appeared on a single list. 

• Thanks 1