Eric Atreides

Three Thousand Years of Longing | August 26, 2022 | MGM | GEORGE MILLER'S NEXT MOVIE | Idris Elba and Tilda Swinton | Coming to Cannes!

44 minutes ago, Eric Crawley said:

Yes, this was crazy...but has nothing to do with the movie or the filmmaker!  Although I wouldn't be surprised if subconsciously George Miller's rebel spirit inspired a move like this to protest the Russian atrocities in Ukraine (which is what the protest was about, apparently)!  But yes, it was likely well-planned in order to get admitted through the various checkpoints!  

“There’s a commitment that they can’t change. MGM will release it at the end of August in 2,000 cinemas. There’s been no deal that MGM has made to stream the movie. At this moment, it will be a theatrical release. Seeing it in that cinema [the Palais], with that sound, that group of people, and knowing every little bit of work that we put into it, will be available to the audiences.”

George Miller Talks MGM, 'Three Thousand Years' and 'Furiosa' - Variety

• Like 4

Well, I just saw a bus advert for this so I guess they're making a token effort.

I'm continually amazed at how badly Elba picks his projects. Not that he shouldn't do stuff that interests him but boy, I bet he'd like to lead an actual hit at some point.

6 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Well, I just saw a bus advert for this so I guess they're making a token effort.

I'm continually amazed at how badly Elba picks his projects. Not that he shouldn't do stuff that interests him but boy, I bet he'd like to lead an actual hit at some point.

To be fair, he likely signed on for this just to work with Miller (an Oscar-nominated director). Hard to fault him there, even if it appears the collaboration didn't really work out.

Mentioned in the tracking thread that this feels like an obvious candidate for a sub-$15M total but even single digits wouldn't be at all surprising at this point. Minimal marketing (and a movie that just seems like a difficult sell) + meh reviews = late August dump incoming.