SLAM!

Slam! Movie Reviews (my Year Four thread)

4 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Will it help if I'm not too familiar with the source material beyond the main character?

I mean to be honest outside of memes I don’t know about Jonny Jonny, but although it was a bad movie, it was an entertaining read.

• Like 2

Surprise, everyone!

Spoiler

The Female Man @Hiccup23

You put thought into the casting and made this your most expansive effort, so I decided that it would be worth giving this a shout-out!

Spoiler

The Guardian of the West @Spagspiria

Documentaries are the nonfiction of film, and they're definitely rising in popularity, so I'm really happy to see a CAYOM player go in-depth on an interesting subject! It's inspiring!

Spoiler

Kingdom of the Sun @YourMother the Edgelord

I found this one to break the suspension of disbelief with some of its weirder elements, but I'm glad you gave this live-action remake a go! To me, I felt like this was a better form of the type of adaption Beauty and the Beast (2017) was.

Spoiler

Tulpa @Rorschach

I'm actually studying psychology right now, and I think it's fascinating to have it implemented in such an interesting way. Charlie Heaton would totally slay a performance like this.

Spoiler

Blue and Gold @YourMother the Edgelord

This is the kind of DC project I think fans should be getting in real life. This was a very fun read, and the dual protagonists played off of each other quite well.

It's past 1:00 where I am so I'm gonna have to continue tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

Now, for some more Top 25 selections.

Spoiler

Sir Thymes Time @Blankments

I have it low on my list because I think it emulates existing films pretty closely (especially Wreck-it Ralph), but I really do think this is a creative achievement through and through. I wouldn't have thought of making popular songs into characters like that.  And I'd say the cast was interesting; Anna Kendrick is especially interesting as a casting choice for an antagonist role. Overall, I found this to be pretty good.

Spoiler

Citizen Welles @Alpha

As the type of moviegoer to see more good than bad in a film like Darkest Hour (that Winston Churchill best picture nominee from last year), it's fairly safe to assume that I would enjoy a project like this. The story behind Citizen Kane is a fascinating saga spanning many years, and it's very intriguing to see it brought to life on the page. This was very well cast, too.

Spoiler

Guys and Dolls @Blankments

It's really fascinating to see a musical revamped to fit in a modern setting -- that's one reason why A Star is Born (2018) has been doing as well as it has. Felicity Jones is a starlet and Jake Gyllenhaal is always a welcome sight to see. This was vivacious, and it put a smile on my face, so I applaud it!

Spoiler

Pillars of Eternity: The Hollow Vale @4815162342

This is as low on the list as it is because the heavy lore of the series really overwhelmed me, but it's as high on the list as it is because I can tell the lore was encapsulated on in a very passionate way, involving a lot of hard work. Now that I know what to expect with CAYOM queries, the next time I come across a Pillars of Eternity film, I'm gonna reread the past entries to gain a better understanding of what's going on.

Spoiler

American Dragon: Darkness Rising @Xillix

The first one was a good stepping stone for a CAYOM franchise, but this second one truly expanded on the franchise's potential! A very fun, underrated romp! If you decide to make a third one, I'll be looking forward to it.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Slambros said:

American Dragon: Darkness Rising @Xillix

The first one was a good stepping stone for a CAYOM franchise, but this second one truly expanded on the franchise's potential! A very fun, underrated romp! If you decide to make a third one, I'll be looking forward to it.

tumblr_n2ivhnrzjV1rgcqrbo1_500.gif

Edited by Rorschach

I'll do another set of five along with that.

Spoiler

Pokemon: Rise of the Rockets @4815162342

I'm fully confident that this is the type of Pokemon film that fans deserve. A set of films that goes through a region, examines the struggles of being a Pokemon trainer, and incorporates mature themes. Plus, the cast is great. Angourie Rice is a great choice, Art Parkinson is a great choice. I can't wait to see the adventure continue!

Spoiler

A Month at Belmond Lane @Spagspiria

I'm a really big fan of Wes Anderson even though I've only seen four of his films, so this was definitely aimed towards me! I do think that the small scale of the film causes the Anderson shtick to feel a little heavy handed imo, but for the most part, this is a fun ride through and through, with some fun actors to boot! And yeah for the idea to cast a person of color as the lead in an Anderson film! His films, while being a perfectly fine resume as it is, could use the diversity to spice things up!

Spoiler

The Dogs of Babel @Blankments

This is the kind of story I would pick up off the library shelves in elementary and middle school, and it makes me miss those simple times when I still read as much literature as I did. A very quiet and moving mystery, this film is definitely something I would see in theaters!

Spoiler

Amulet II: The Last Council @Alpha

I actually read this relatively obscure graphic novel series in middle school. Well, I tried to at least; the library only had volumes one, three, four, and five. But I digress; this is a very good adaption. The author clearly has a passion for the subject matter, and many of the important beats were presented articulately. Bravo!

Spoiler

The Amityville Nightmare: Part II @Xillix

So this might be a controversial choice to put on the list, as I haven't seen this selection on too many other lists, let alone this high. But I have to say, this really scared me silly. I know barely anyting about the Amityville franchise, but I am a Christian, and that helped me understand this that much more. I saw that this was an original story, and I think this was a very good story that made for a very scary read-through, and I thought that it built its way towards its climax fairly well.

I have class in less than fifteen minutes, so I have to stop here for now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Slambros said:

I'll do another set of five along with that.

Hide contents

Pokemon: Rise of the Rockets @4815162342

I'm fully confident that this is the type of Pokemon film that fans deserve. A set of films that goes through a region, examines the struggles of being a Pokemon trainer, and incorporates mature themes. Plus, the cast is great. Angourie Rice is a great choice, Art Parkinson is a great choice. I can't wait to see the adventure continue!

Hide contents

A Month at Belmond Lane @Spagspiria

I'm a really big fan of Wes Anderson even though I've only seen four of his films, so this was definitely aimed towards me! I do think that the small scale of the film causes the Anderson shtick to feel a little heavy handed imo, but for the most part, this is a fun ride through and through, with some fun actors to boot! And yeah for the idea to cast a person of color as the lead in an Anderson film! His films, while being a perfectly fine resume as it is, could use the diversity to spice things up!

Hide contents

The Dogs of Babel @Blankments

This is the kind of story I would pick up off the library shelves in elementary and middle school, and it makes me miss those simple times when I still read as much literature as I did. A very quiet and moving mystery, this film is definitely something I would see in theaters!

Hide contents

Amulet II: The Last Council @Alpha

I actually read this relatively obscure graphic novel series in middle school. Well, I tried to at least; the library only had volumes one, three, four, and five. But I digress; this is a very good adaption. The author clearly has a passion for the subject matter, and many of the important beats were presented articulately. Bravo!

Hide contents

The Amityville Nightmare: Part II @Xillix

So this might be a controversial choice to put on the list, as I haven't seen this selection on too many other lists, let alone this high. But I have to say, this really scared me silly. I know barely anyting about the Amityville franchise, but I am a Christian, and that helped me understand this that much more. I saw that this was an original story, and I think this was a very good story that made for a very scary read-through, and I thought that it built its way towards its climax fairly well.

I have class in less than fifteen minutes, so I have to stop here for now.

Will the rest arrive tonight?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xillix said:

Glad Amityville Nightmare II was so effective for you! I'm actually not religious at all so it's nice to know I hit the spot, haha.

Yeah, I thought that it was very good in my opinion!

I should tell you there's a detail that threw me through a loop during the second act: when the priest goes to visit Stephan James' possessed construction worker, the demon inside of him tells the priest that two people of faith who had died in the first story had lost their faith and gone to hell; that is theologically inaccurate for all branches of the Christian faith, because those who accept Jesus never lose Him, those who are found never revert back to being lost. But even in spite of that, the demon telling the priest that they went to hell makes a ton of sense to me, as demons are said to be liars, and the demon very likely aimed to dishearten the priest.

And that was really the only issue that I had with the query. The rest was well paced and well told, and the climax was a real stinger; people who go through life dedicated to horror fiction, only to find out too late that some horrors aren't at all the fiction they represent. That hit me hard.

I think you're gifted in the horror genre, so I encourage you to keep going with it!

(My top ten will be posted in about an hour or so from now.)

• Like 4

Welp. It's that time. I have four papers due before Thanksgiving break, so now's the time to get my list behind me.

Spoiler

Mass Effect @4815162342

I was never really into Mass Effect, but this query definitely makes a case as to why I should've been. This query definitely translated an already epic story into something truly cinematic. The dialogue was great, the presentation was great, the dynamics between characters was great. You certainly adapted this game with a lot of love and passion! And kudos to you for casting Mackenzie Davis as Colonel Shepard! Great choice!

Spoiler

Resonance @Alpha

At a time in my life when I'm becoming more and more accepting of well-told, empathetic horror films, this query comes in, tells a great story with many interesting twists and turns, and truly resonates with its statements on today's societal issues such as #MeToo. It's probably pretty hard to come up with a psychological horror that's as dense as this one, and I think the three main players -- Giamatti, Bernal, and Hayek -- are really well casted in these roles. I commend you, Alpha, for writing a horror that says something which needs to be said.

Spoiler

Starlit Highway @Spagspiria

This selection, paired with how high on the list it is, might perplex a few people. I'll admit that it's as high on my list as it is for a personal reason: the dynamic between Lisa and Beth reminds me of the dynamic between my mother and sister. I read this story, and after that, I thought about moments in my life. It's a pretty small-scale story just like A Month at Belmond Lane, but I ended up preferring this one because I was able to relate to this. Thank you for dedicating yourself to write something small yet meaningful, Spaghetti.

Spoiler

The Square Mile @4815162342

You know how you start watching a movie, and the movie's pretty interesting, but then, there's certain things that happen, and the film becomes even more interesting? That's the reaction I had. Twice. You made some daring choices on how to present the story, and those choices not only worked, but worked and then some, and this drama is much better as a result. It's very well cast, too.

Spoiler

Can You Imagine? @YourMother the Edgelord

I have a sweet spot for animation these days, so you can imagine the sweet spot I had for animation when I was younger. And let me tell you what: I would've loved this film as a kid. This film implemented animation techniques in a very smart way; to me, the story itself feels like, when we peer into the child's imagination, we really are peering into the child's imagination. That's really what I have to say about the project: the film is extremely imaginative, and I admire that very much.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to post my top five one by one to build suspense, starting with number five.

Spoiler

Silent Hill: Restless Dreams @Xillix

You engrossed me. Of course, as this was an adaption of the second game in its series, so it borrows heavily from an already-great plot. But still. You engrossed me. Even when I had already been acquainted about the twist and its meaning (though I should say, I ended up forgetting about it for years, as I've never played the game myself). The build up to the twist is handled excellently, and I was able to understand that this is a work of art, and that you understood that this was a work of art. I'm telling you, I read this before I went to sleep, and this film had me thinking. A very strong presentation, a palpable vision of how the film would be visually expressed, and an outside-the-box cast of actors. Kudos!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Here comes another one!

Spoiler

By The Balls @Blankments

This film wowed me and provoked thoughts in my head about its subject. A very well-told original story! You definitely have a vision on how this film would be presented! And Bradley Cooper is an acting choice that makes so much sense, it's not even funny; he's revitalized his career so much that people forget he broke out from The Hangover, but that's what he did! He's very comedic! And... overall, it's just a smart statement about women and their status in today's society! This was excellent through and through!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Welp. It's that time. I have four papers due before Thanksgiving break, so now's the time to get my list behind me.

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Out of likes but thanks.

• Like 2