salvador-232

Bohemian Rhapsody OS: $684M OS | $900M WW

13 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Singer is reportedly getting a $40m pay day out of this so... yikes!

The article only stated what the unnamed 'source' said about how much money he 'could' earn based on the BO number. They wouldn't know shit how much he will actually earn because how could they know what kind of agreement FOX had with Singer before firing him?

In short, just another negative article aiming to bring this movie down after the gazillion ones before this couldn't do the job.

Any dollars I've spent on the movies I enjoyed are the money well-spent. I don't care if those movies were made from the 'right' people or not.

They should have attacked every named A-listers who've worked with Singer in the past while they're at it. Why shaming just ONE movie like it's his only work that matters?

Edited by KATCH-2D2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Watched the film last week. Again why am I seeing it doing around $650mn internationally and not $250mn.

When a film is a WOM sensation that doesnt mean that everyone woud like it, just a majority. I personally dont like Titanic at all but many folks clearly would disagree with that.

Box office rarely has something to do with what we subjectively see as quality. The only thing that matters is audience reception. And the one for BR is obviously outstanding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

When a film is a WOM sensation that doesnt mean that everyone woud like it, just a majority. I personally dont like Titanic at all but many folks clearly would disagree with that.

Box office rarely has something to do with what we subjectively see as quality. The only thing that matters is audience reception. And the one for BR is obviously outstanding.

I love such long runs and legs. But then if I don't like film, they become nuisance to me. Last this happened was Fallen Kingdom.

39 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Of course not. People just choose to see the movie that look appealing to them and if they like it recommend it to other people. Some critically good movies don't always have that appeal. 

GA don't see a movies to analyse it. They just want to have a good time. 

10 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Watched the film last week. Again why am I seeing it doing around $650mn internationally and not $250mn.

Some runs just don't make sense. Why on earth $800m+ worth of people would see Venom is beyond me but people like what they like. BR's box office correlates pretty strongly with Queen's powerful album sales, especially in particular countries where they were always very popular like Japan.

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

Some runs just don't make sense. Why on earth $800m+ worth of people would see Venom is beyond me but people like what they like. BR's box office correlates pretty strongly with Queen's powerful album sales, especially in particular countries where they were always very popular like Japan.

I wouldn't have bothered if it had $200mn opening weekend and then hit $850mn, riding on Queen stardom. What actually happened is that, its opening was just good and it had legs.

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I wouldn't have bothered if it had $200mn opening weekend and then hit $850mn, riding on Queen stardom. What actually happened is that, its opening was just good and it had legs.

Well Queen's fanbase is obviously older and older-skewing movies just tend to open small and have legs. Also I think a lot of people who aren't diehard Queen fans probably were reminded that they love Queen from hearing about this movie from other people and award shows.

Edited by Rebeccas
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Maybe for OW, but for leggy run it is extremelly rare that the box office has nothing to do with quality.

Yes audience want to have a good time, a movie achieving to deliver that is strongly correlated with what most subjectively can see qualities.

If you cannot subjectively see qualities in a production like Titanic.....

17 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Maybe for OW, but for leggy run it is extremelly rare that the box office has nothing to do with quality.

Yes audience want to have a good time, a movie achieving to deliver that is strongly correlated with what most subjectively can see qualities.

If you cannot subjectively see qualities in a production like Titanic.....

I mean Greatest Showman also had an insanely leggy run and is far from a good movie, but I think catchy songs also function in a similar way which is probably what's going on here too.

BR success is easily explained - they cast people who actually look like Freddie and the Queen so that transported the audience into the movie. They felt like they watched Freddie and we know how beloved he was. Moreover, it had the Power Concert Ending, arguably the most rousing ending of any movie in 2018. Stars simply lined up - spot on cast, beloved real life figure, beautiful music, power concert ending. Boom.

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

BR success is easily explained - they cast people who actually look like Freddie and the Queen so that transported the audience into the movie. They felt like they watched Freddie and we know how beloved he was. Moreover, it had the Power Concert Ending, arguably the most rousing ending of any movie in 2018. Stars simply lined up - spot on cast, beloved real life figure, beautiful music, power concert ending. Boom.

Literally, my parents saw it 3 times and every time they refused to believe it wasn't Brian May acting. The resemblance was uncanny