sfran43

Weekend Thread : Asgardian #'s on p.17 ~ 19.6M Saturday

10 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

A Wrinkle in Time did 1.3mil, Nutcracker did less than half of that number. 

gonna be tough to fudge that one to 100M. :thinking:

re: Disney and flopping. Exactly. Nobody invests millions or hundreds of millions going "well, if it flops we can afford it, no big deal". They make movies hoping they'll do well. It's business. everyone does so, even arthouse is hoping that their limited audience will be enough to make it a success. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, grim22 said:

If I am reading Maoyan correctly, Nutcracker OD in China was 2.3M Yuan, so about 400k USD. Audience rating is awful with 7.9, so maybe a 2-3M USD final total there.

I may have made a mistake, and it might be 23M and 4M USD. I am unsure. If it is 4M USD, then it will probably do 15M USD final total as the ramp up won't be as big. I am not sure how to read Maoyan.

It's first at 23.6M Y OD so $3.43 (Y now at 6.88 v $ :sick:) - haven't looked at the pace for today but could do $10-13m+ O/W

• Like 1

Yeah, after 2019 and what I’m guessing Little Mermaid and Stitch, Disney has nothing else to remake (I doubt they’d go a Frozen remake until  the late 2020s) that’ll make massive amount of money. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if Lion King and Mulan are the only 2019-2020 remakes to do over $250M. Aladdin will be the Solo Of 2019, and Malicifent 2 is likely DOA.

However when the live action remakes lose their luster I wonder what Disney will do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Yeah, after 2019 and what I’m guessing Little Mermaid and Stitch, Disney has nothing else to remake (I doubt they’d go a Frozen remake until  the late 2020s) that’ll make massive amount of money. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if Lion King and Mulan are the only 2019-2020 remakes to do over $250M. Aladdin will be the Solo Of 2019, and Malicifent 2 is likely DOA.

However when the live action remakes lose their luster I wonder what Disney will do.

They will buy Sony and Paramount and a bunch of cinemas to force them to only play their movies...When you have the Department of Justice in your pockets you can do anything......:sweat:

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

they are already rebooting POTC so rebooting whatever else they have is not far away. 

Thats DOA too....Disney will be my favourite studio again if they give Tron another chance....

10 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

$650k

:ohmygod:

i don’t see why nutcracker can’t be slightly leggier through the weekend; Pan was a special type of awful and I could see a few people liking nutcracker. Definitely puts 15-16M on the table tho

• Like 1

Disney should just remake films like Cinderella (2015), Beauty and the Beast (2017) or Jungle Book (2016) into cartoons/animated films. Im sure many people would pay to see that, given its a whole new format to tell these storys.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

10 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Yeah, after 2019 and what I’m guessing Little Mermaid and Stitch, Disney has nothing else to remake (I doubt they’d go a Frozen remake until  the late 2020s) 

If they are remaking Lilo and Stitch (2002) then I don't see something like Tangled (2010) being off-limits in a couple of years. There are also a few other like Pinocchio, Snow White, Tarzan and Cruella that they might take a crack at before. And who knows... maybe they could turn their sights to live action versions of Pixar stuff like The Incredibles too.

Aladdin will be the Solo Of 2019

No. And definitely not OS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

Animated remakes of the live action remakes.

I was faster :insane:

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Disney should just remake films like Cinderella (2015), Beauty and the Beast (2017) or Jungle Book (2016) into cartoons/animated films. Im sure many people would pay to see that, given its a whole new format to tell these storys.

• Astonished 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

If any studio can afford to take a write down right now, it's definitely Disney. Luckily the losses from Nutcracker will easily be made back soon with Ralph and especially Mary Poppins coming up.

Yeah, but 120M is still a pretty big write down :P Plus, they already had two massive calamities this year (A Wrinkle In Time and Solo) - Christopher Robin barely saved itself from being the third - so it's not like they haven't had an all-smiles 2018. For what's worth, though, they probably made well over a billion in profit from Infinity War, Black Panther and Incredibles alone, so while they're certainly gonna do some much needed shake-ups in some areas, they're still gonna wipe their asses in money and laugh all the way to the bank regardless.

But, in all honesty, WB are the ones I'd claim the winners of 2018 so far. Hit after hit after hit after hit. Game Night, Tomb Raider, Ready Player One, Rampage, Ocean's 8, The Meg, Crazy Rich Asians, The Nun, A Star Is Born, and even the likes of Tag, Teen Titans Go and Life Of The Party either made a theatrical profit or at the very least doubled their budget worldwide. 12 Strong and The 15:17 To Paris were the only ones who failed to do that latter target, but they were mid budget films (35M and 28M budgets respectively) so not exactly any significant write-offs anyway. And they still have Beasts 2, The Mule and Aquaman left to go.

Anyway, great start for Bohemian Rhapsody, which will probably hit the low to mid 40's range. It was bound to be a crowdpleaser from what I've been hearing about it. The Nutcracker........ hilarity defined.

@YourMother the Edgelord I don't think Aladdin will do amazing, but it don't think it'll Solo itself either. It's fucking Aladdin. It won't be anywhere near as much of an OS bomb as Solo was (if the previous Disney live-action remakes were indication) and it surely cannot be as expensive, even with the director of King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword at the helm. At least Aladdin should be looking at a profit............ right?

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Aladdin will do amazing, but it don't think it'll Solo itself either. It's fucking Aladdin. It won't be anywhere near as much of an OS bomb as Solo was (if the previous Disney live-action remakes were indication) and it surely cannot be as expensive, even with the director of King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword at the helm. At least Aladdin should be looking at a profit............

I think OS will do well and it will make a profit, I just don't see higher than Solo domestically.

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I think OS will do well and it will make a profit, I just don't see higher than Solo domestically.

It's possible, yeah. I can also see it going over without too much trouble, though..... I mean, Aladdin is one of Disney's most popular films ever. If it's not well recieved, though, anything can happen.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

1 hour ago, Hejira said:

Actually, all the non-Marvel/Pixar Disney movies this year have either straight-up bombed (Solo, A Wrinkle in Time, and now Nutcrackers) or underperformed (Christoper Robin), so Disney might want to consider producing even fewer movies on their own.

:welcome: to the forum!

⁠ ⁠scores 90% in early audience exit polls.

Comparing Disney & Warner makes very little sense, except for their respective superhero brands.

There couldn't be more different studios in Hollywood right now.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1