Eric Atreides

The Green Knight | A24 | July 30, 2021

6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

i don't believe jack shit you say

You can believe whatever you want.  

I'm just telling you the truth.  It is one of the slowest paced releases in recent memory, and it is outright straight up off the wall and not commercial in any sense of the word.  General audiences are going to revolt against it when they see it.  There are 2 scenes pretty much back to back in the latter half of the movie that are so far off the reservation for a commercial movie, especially one with a trailer that sells it as some action based new era Willow, that you will have a decent number of walk outs (if they haven't walked out already).  

If the Cinemascore is above a C- it will be a miracle.  

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

You can believe whatever you want.  

I'm just telling you the truth.  It is one of the slowest paced releases in recent memory, and it is outright straight up off the wall and not commercial in any sense of the word.  General audiences are going to revolt against it when they see it.  There are 2 scenes pretty much back to back in the latter half of the movie that are so far off the reservation for a commercial movie, especially one with a trailer that sells it as some action based new era Willow, that you will have a decent number of walk outs (if they haven't walked out already).  

If the Cinemascore is above a C- it will be a miracle.  

I mean your general perception of what you hear about movies and how you interpret it has always been incredibly off so *shrug*

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

I mean your general perception of what you hear about movies and how you interpret it has always been incredibly off so *shrug*

What I 'hear" about movies?  I saw it.  

Also, that is nonsense and will guarantee you are referencing Wonder Woman which I said that I didn't like but it would be a financial hit.  

Stop being a child.  

• Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

What I 'hear" about movies?  I saw it.  

Also, that is nonsense and will guarantee you are referencing Wonder Woman which I said that I didn't like but it would be a financial hit.  

Stop being a child.  

well this makes me even more sure that there is no reason to take anything from what you've said

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

well this makes me even more sure that there is no reason to take anything from what you've said

Let's revisit this post around midnight on July 30th or sometime on July 31st and see how this works out for you, Ethan.  

Also, this was one of my most anticipated movies of the last 2 years.  I love David Lowery.  I love the cast.  I love the trailer.  I love what I heard about the first cut.  

This cut is just a disaster commercially.  It is going to be an epic bomb.  It doesn't make me happy that is the case.  

Moderation

Yeah we're not doing this anymore. Every time EmpireCity comes around here and reports something people don't like it becomes a massive brouhaha and I'm sick of it. @Ethan Hunt you don't have to listen or like what he has to say, but you're fighting fire with fire and are making things worse. If you don't like what he has to say, ignoring him just makes things so much easier for all of us.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

10 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Also, this was one of my most anticipated movies of the last 2 years.  I love David Lowery.  I love the cast.  I love the trailer.  I love what I heard about the first cut.  

This cut is just a disaster commercially.  It is going to be an epic bomb.  It doesn't make me happy that is the case.  

So you dislike the movie itself or just the fact that is commercially bad?

Because honestly to me Lowery best movie is A Ghost Story which is also very slow. Considering the trailer i was expecting Green Knight to be a commercial movie and i was excited about that, but if the movie itself is good i won't be mad about a slow pace commercial flop. 

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

So you dislike the movie itself or just the fact that is commercially bad?

Because honestly to me Lowery best movie is A Ghost Story which is also very slow. Considering the trailer i was expecting Green Knight to be a commercial movie and i was excited about that, but if the movie itself is good i won't be mad about a slow pace commercial flop. 

Sort of both.  It's beautifully shot with a great score, but the quest/motivation isn't exactly compelling.  When you throw in the pacing on top of that, my feeling is that I liked it mildly but not enough to ever watch it again.  

As far as commercially, put a pin in the two scenes that I mentioned and we can talk about that after it comes out.  

Overall my issue is more with A24 yet again selling a movie that doesn't actually exist instead of selling the movie that does actually exist.  They have done it at least 4 times now and they need to stop as I honestly think it is borderline unethical.  

The reason they keep doing it is because they of course want to attract a general audience to make some money back.  It might work for the first couple of days of release, but almost always leads to huge drops and terrible audience scores and experience.  

It Comes At Night was their most egregious example, and I think the marketing for this is about 10x more egregious.  You are going to have some families going to this thinking they are seeing a take on an Arthurian adventure and instead getting multiple scenes that are going to enrage them.  

Like I said, this might be the biggest walk out movie since mother!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

It Comes At Night was their most egregious example, and I think the marketing for this is about 10x more egregious.  You are going to have some families going to this thinking they are seeing a take on an Arthurian adventure and instead getting multiple scenes that are going to enrage them.  

Isn't this rated R? And just looking at the trailers, it's pretty clear this is gritty, gruesome stuff.

1 minute ago, Eric E Coyote said:

Isn't this rated R? And just looking at the trailers, it's pretty clear this is gritty, gruesome stuff.

What you think is gritty and gruesome isn't really why it is rated R.  

Am I allowed to spoiler in this thread as long as I spoiler tag it?

Just now, EmpireCity said:

What you think is gritty and gruesome isn't really why it is rated R.  

Am I allowed to spoiler in this thread as long as I spoiler tag it?

Yes, spoiler tagging is a must. I'm not gonna read it because I want to go in blind however.

Spoiler

I mean, let's see how general audiences react to this movie when it is not only slow paced, but you get back to back scenes of Dev Patel holding a magical green belt after he has blown a huge load into his hand that they actually show in graphic detail and then Joel Edgerton creepily confronting/stopping Dev Patel in the woods and then proceeding to make out with him.  

• Astonished 5

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:
  Hide contents

I mean, let's see how general audiences react to this movie when it is not only slow paced, but you get back to back scenes of Dev Patel holding a magical green belt after he has blown a huge load into his hand that they actually show in graphic detail and then Joel Edgerton creepily confronting/stopping Dev Patel in the woods and then proceeding to make out with him.  

Whoa. lmao

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Sort of both.  It's beautifully shot with a great score, but the quest/motivation isn't exactly compelling.  When you throw in the pacing on top of that, my feeling is that I liked it mildly but not enough to ever watch it again.  

As far as commercially, put a pin in the two scenes that I mentioned and we can talk about that after it comes out.  

Overall my issue is more with A24 yet again selling a movie that doesn't actually exist instead of selling the movie that does actually exist.  They have done it at least 4 times now and they need to stop as I honestly think it is borderline unethical.  

The reason they keep doing it is because they of course want to attract a general audience to make some money back.  It might work for the first couple of days of release, but almost always leads to huge drops and terrible audience scores and experience.  

Like I said, this might be the biggest walk out movie since mother!

If Saint Maud had gotten a theatrical release, it probably would've had a worse CinemaScore than It Comes at Night. I have no idea why A24 marketed it as a possession movie with a Billie Eilish song when the international trailers from other distributors marketed it properly.

11 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Honestly after reading the description of the actual tale* this is based on, I'm not shocked it isn't commerical. The original story doesn't scream "Hollywood adaptation".

I was in a medieval literature class reading Sir Gawain and the Green Knight the week this film was announced. There's absolutely no way this would've been commercial unless it was more action oriented like the first/SXSW cut was supposed to be.