Eric Atreides

The Green Knight | A24 | July 30, 2021

14 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Sort of both.  It's beautifully shot with a great score, but the quest/motivation isn't exactly compelling.  When you throw in the pacing on top of that, my feeling is that I liked it mildly but not enough to ever watch it again.  

As far as commercially, put a pin in the two scenes that I mentioned and we can talk about that after it comes out.  

Overall my issue is more with A24 yet again selling a movie that doesn't actually exist instead of selling the movie that does actually exist.  They have done it at least 4 times now and they need to stop as I honestly think it is borderline unethical.  

The reason they keep doing it is because they of course want to attract a general audience to make some money back.  It might work for the first couple of days of release, but almost always leads to huge drops and terrible audience scores and experience.  

It Comes At Night was their most egregious example, and I think the marketing for this is about 10x more egregious.  You are going to have some families going to this thinking they are seeing a take on an Arthurian adventure and instead getting multiple scenes that are going to enrage them.  

Like I said, this might be the biggest walk out movie since mother!

I'm a little relieved because i really liked It Comes At Night and i loved Mother!, so it's not what i expecting for this movie but i can live with it.

Sure, i'm waiting for VOD because i can't go in a theater but shouldn't take long for me to see it and we can discuss it, seems like the type of movie that is good to talk about it.

But i 100% agreed about their marketing, it's a old problem for them to market movies that aren't the ones who will be released. They did this with The Witch, It Comes At Night, A Ghost Story, Hereditary, Midsommar, The Lighthouse... at some degree every time they sell a exciting movie and delivered an niche experience.

I understand that they need money to survive in business but i worry that people can start to associate A24 with bad movies in a near future because of the many examples of "false" marketing they do.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

What you think is gritty and gruesome isn't really why it is rated R.  

Am I allowed to spoiler in this thread as long as I spoiler tag it?

Yes, just put a Spoiler alert and who wants to read, read it now or after see the movie.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

If Saint Maud had gotten a theatrical release, it probably would've had a worse CinemaScore than It Comes at Night. I have no idea why A24 marketed it as a possession movie with a Billie Eilish song when the international trailers from other distributors marketed it properly.

I was in a medieval literature class reading Sir Gawain and the Green Knight the week this film was announced. There's absolutely no way this would've been commercial unless it was more action oriented like the first/SXSW cut was supposed to be.

Saint Maud trailer not only doesn't sell the actual movie but it's also pretty bad.

It was one of my favorites movies of 2020, thankfully i only see the garbage trailer after i saw the movie.

I agreed it could be easily an F Cinemascore

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Sort of both.  It's beautifully shot with a great score, but the quest/motivation isn't exactly compelling.  When you throw in the pacing on top of that, my feeling is that I liked it mildly but not enough to ever watch it again.  

As far as commercially, put a pin in the two scenes that I mentioned and we can talk about that after it comes out.  

Overall my issue is more with A24 yet again selling a movie that doesn't actually exist instead of selling the movie that does actually exist.  They have done it at least 4 times now and they need to stop as I honestly think it is borderline unethical.  

The reason they keep doing it is because they of course want to attract a general audience to make some money back.  It might work for the first couple of days of release, but almost always leads to huge drops and terrible audience scores and experience.  

It Comes At Night was their most egregious example, and I think the marketing for this is about 10x more egregious.  You are going to have some families going to this thinking they are seeing a take on an Arthurian adventure and instead getting multiple scenes that are going to enrage them.  

Like I said, this might be the biggest walk out movie since mother!

This is a statement is a bit wack imo.

I think the mismarketing claims for A24 have been overblown, especially since they primarily target niche indie audiences anyways.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Honestly after reading the description of the actual tale* this is based on, I'm not shocked it isn't commerical. The original story doesn't scream "Hollywood adaptation".

I mean with we got a film covering Merlin's origin accurately or a Percival movie they'd probably get Fox News frothing at the mouth for months on end. I'm not really worried about it

35 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:
  Hide contents

I mean, let's see how general audiences react to this movie when it is not only slow paced, but you get back to back scenes of Dev Patel holding a magical green belt after he has blown a huge load into his hand that they actually show in graphic detail and then Joel Edgerton creepily confronting/stopping Dev Patel in the woods and then proceeding to make out with him.  

This sounds amazing tbh

I'm always more down for a director's original vision and I adored "Ghost Story" so I'm really excited for this. I wonder how it would have been if A24 did release the 90 minute cut though, the auteur filmmaker driven indie studio cutting down a director's vision. The reaction from them doing it, would've been interesting.

14 minutes ago, The Panda said:

This is a statement is a bit wack imo.

I think the mismarketing claims for A24 have been overblown, especially since they primarily target niche indie audiences anyways.

I think that is what we are saying though, is that numerous times now their marketing has represented a mainstream horror or action movie that doesn't actually exist.  

For example, here is The Green Knight trailer.  It's beautiful, it is fast paced and indicates action and adventure.

The movie in this trailer doesn't exist.  

5 minutes ago, Cap said:

This sounds amazing tbh

Like I said, there is going to be a segment of people that LOVE this movie and think it is brilliant.  

I have no qualms with that.  Hell, it might actually be brilliant.  

What it isn't though is what the marketing indicates.  Since this is a box office site, I'm concentrating more on the financial prospects and what the general audience will think.  When it comes to that, it's going to be a disaster.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Like I said, there is going to be a segment of people that LOVE this movie and think it is brilliant.  

I have no qualms with that.  Hell, it might actually be brilliant.  

What it isn't though is what the marketing indicates.  Since this is a box office site, I'm concentrating more on the financial prospects and what the general audience will think.  When it comes to that, it's going to be a disaster.  

Even if so, stuff like Hereditary and Midsommar still ended up doing quite well and found their target audiences. I also don’t buy the phrase “the movie in this trailer doesn’t exist”, of course it does, trailers are always going to imperfectly preview a movie for their audiences.

Trailers are going to skew fast-paced and flashy (even if their movies aren’t necessarily that) by nature of where people see them now. If people are seeing trailers when scrolling social media, you need something eye popping to get people to stop and watch it. This isn’t something new or unique to A24.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Panda said:

Even if so, stuff like Hereditary and Midsommar still ended up doing quite well and found their target audiences. I also don’t buy the phrase “the movie in this trailer doesn’t exist”, of course it does, trailers are always going to imperfectly preview a movie for their audiences.

Trailers are going to skew fast-paced and flashy (even if their movies aren’t necessarily that) by nature of where people see them now. If people are seeing trailers when scrolling social media, you need something eye popping to get people to stop and watch it. This isn’t something new or unique to A24.

It is worse than that though.  

Imagine if someone cut a trailer for There Will Be Blood and made it look like a hilarious family comedy.  

12 hours ago, EmpireCity said:
  Reveal hidden contents

.....I wish I hadn't read this because I know people who are so hyped for this and god I want to spoil it for them. This would probably make them more excited, granted.

Edited by Morieris

3 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

It is worse than that though.  

Imagine if someone cut a trailer for There Will Be Blood and made it look like a hilarious family comedy.  

I mean the cut of this trailer markets it as a dark and atmospheric imagination of the Green Knight story.

Even if it’s as you describe, that’s not too different from what was shown other than maybe the trailer has a faster pace.