Eric Atreides

The Green Knight | A24 | July 30, 2021

I'm curious whether ticket sales rush is by A24 crowd that knows this is a Brokeback Mountain with knights or by average crowd that expects medieval action spectacle. Cause if it's the latter, post-opening should be interesting. Maybe not as interesting as families with little kids discovering that Dr Manhattan didn't wear underwear (on IMAX no less!) but interesting enough. :stirthepot:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Haha 2

LOL. I accepted the challenge and checked out about 35 reviews out of 50 to see if the worst TV actress ever improved here.But nobody said anything about Kellyman's acting lmao! She's only mentioned as "Gwain meets a bunch of people including X (Erin Kellyman)". All praise is for Patel, next is Vikander and then Edgerton. But good on Geiman for throwing her a pity bone I guess. 

Edited by Valonqar

Got out of a preview screening for this a few hours ago, and it definitely lived up to the hype for me. I was wavering on giving it a 4.5 or a 5 out of 5, but after typing out my review for it on Letterboxd, I decided to say "fuck it" and gave it the full five stars.

It's such a stunning and absorbing epic that had me engaged the whole through. A slow burner for sure, but never one that bored me or never had anything uninteresting going on. Even though it's based off centuries old source material, it feels very refreshing and deconstructive, and this is also one of the rare examples of a film where you feel like its a fully realized vision brought to life by someone in complete command of their craft. And of course, Dev Patel is incredible, a bonafide movie star if I've ever seen one.

• Like 4

The theaters are making this really hard...7:15PM...no midday, you know 4-4:30...they wont come off that 7:15 🙂...I may see it tomorrow, if I can hang around the mall that late...or, move on to Suicide Squad...this is how I missed Spiral and Wrath of Man. They're both right here on streaming, guess Green Knight can wait for that too...

Edited by OdinSon2k14

Wait...they put a 5:30PM in...a little late, but I can hang around for that 🙂. I was about to chalk another missed movie up to weird COVID scheduling. I do middays, I got other things to see and do during primetime 🙂

Edited by OdinSon2k14

What kind of "game" was that 😂😂?!

He wants to play a beheading game with you, but he's some immortal tree being and you're NOT 😂😂!

You chop his head off, he can just put it back on 😂! Now it's your turn to offer your head, and you're DEAD 😂!!

The only point of the game was for him to MURDER you😂!! For you to let him do it, with no resistance

😂!!

Liked it a lot, didn’t love it. The visuals were far too dim half the time which may have been for realism but it was too much. Great sound design and atmosphere.
I’m very confused at all the comparisons to Boorman’s Excalibur though, they’re probably just PR buzzwords but the two couldn’t be more different. 

16 hours ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

What kind of "game" was that 😂😂?!

Hide contents

He wants to play a beheading game with you, but he's some immortal tree being and you're NOT 😂😂!

You chop his head off, he can just put it back on 😂! Now it's your turn to offer your head, and you're DEAD 😂!!

The only point of the game was for him to MURDER you😂!! For you to let him do it, with no resistance

😂!!

The purpose is the game allows Gaiwan to achieve “Greatness” in the eyes of the knights around him, by taking on a gambit and coming out on top. The dilemma is that in order to achieve this greatness he has to sacrifice the good life he already has. So throughout the movie he’s constantly put in a situation where in order to achieve the “Knightly honor” he has to sacrifice the “Knightly virtues”. 

At the very end he chooses the virtues and gives up the greatness by cheating the knight’s game with the girdle.

[\spoiler]

• Like 1

I thought this was pretty lifeless. Lowery is best when he is playful and light (probably why his best film is a Disney film) but I find his contemplative stuff to be empty. Also surprisingly ugly film. 

Edit: Adding onto the "ugly" stuff. Some nice compositions, but the movie just looks so muddy. First time I couldn't see parts of a movie properly in a completely dark cinema.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I thought this was pretty lifeless. Lowery is best when he is playful and light (probably why his best film is a Disney film) but I find his contemplative stuff to be empty. Also surprisingly ugly film. 

Edit: Adding onto the "ugly" stuff. Some nice compositions, but the movie just looks so muddy. First time I couldn't see parts of a movie properly in a completely dark cinema.

I saw it twice, first time was hard to see but second time at a newer theatre was fine. It’s a very dark, murky film (too much imo) but unfortunately if you get a theatre with a dim bulb, you’re out of luck.