Eric Duncan

The Green Knight | A24 | July 30, 2021

Great article about the making fo this film. 

Some quotes as highlights, first one about mindset pre and post pandemic.

“As a challenge for myself, I was like, ‘I want to make this movie unstreamable,’” said Palermo. “That was a very 2018 thought. It’s such a dark movie, it would be hard to stream. But that was a very pre-pandemic bit of arrogance, and now I want anyone to see it however they can see it… However you want to see, that’s great, and I hope you can see it well.”

Also this one talking about grading a film for HDR and working back for theatrical release I imagine was also impacted by the pandemic, but it is an interesting read that there is nuance to the argument that either home or cinema as a  better to watch the film, when really each has their benefits and drawbacks.

In order to ensure the best possible viewing experience at home, there’s a lot of things to prepare. “It used to be that [what you saw in theaters and at home] was a little bit more of a one-to-one. What you were putting on a DVD or Blu-Ray was basically the same luminance as the theatrical – you just knew that it was going to be much smaller.” In the past, this meant colorists would simply boost the brightness in order to enhance small details for a smaller viewing screen. Although today with the advent of high dynamic range (HDR), 4K, and affordable, large displays, many home entertainment centers are significantly brighter and more dynamic than most projectors outside of laser. “It’s a wider, broader palette of luminance and color to play with,” Palermo explained. In the case of scenes with highly saturated colors, like those with the yellow fog, he found it to even be an improvement over the theatrical version. “What it looks like in theatrical is very different from what it’s going to look like in home HDR, just different flavors of the same idea… I’ll be curious to see, I think the HDR version of the movie is actually perhaps even better than the theatrical version.” Palermo expressed a lot of fondness for the image this process produces, going so far as to tease upcoming projects; “I think the next film David and I do together, whatever that may be, we both want to do the HDR coloring first – shoot for HDR and then work backward for theatrical, actually. It offers us some really interesting, creative places.”

source: https://discussingfilm.net/2021/08/18/creating-the-world-of-the-green-knight-with-andrew-droz-palermo-and-jade-healy/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 1