baumer

Overlord (2018)

Grade it  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

A really cool gem that flew under the radar for a lot of people. I'm glad they didn't just take the Cloverfield 4 route because it really works as a standalone film. The performances were all great, especially Adepo and Russell, and I especially loved the grounded feel to the whole movie.

Catch it if you can before it leave theaters, which should be pretty soon considering its box office performance.

A-

• Like 1

Overlord is a strange beast. I have no idea what J.J. Abrams was thinking, putting his name on this debut, which is easily one of the most disgusting wide releases in a long time in merely how it utilizes (well-done) body horror. Avery’s film is a mishmash of the Abrams house style, Carpenter’s classic films and a bit of relentless war movies to boot. It doesn’t necessarily always work, but it knows when to be campy and when to racket up the tension. Russell and Adepo both shine in their roles, but really the star is the direction, which remarkably confident and always moving. The latter can be a flaw at bits because there were several sequences I know I loved in the moment but now lack a solid hook to stay long in my memory. Nevertheless, Overlord is a great piece of pop art that explores how war changes people, while also being a marvelously disgusting and rousingly entertaining B-movie. Very solid fun. B