sfran43

Weekend Thread ~ The Grinch 67m+ per DHD

18 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Claire Foy’s career is over. She will never recover after this. 

as a leading lady in movies, sure. As a supporting player in movies or lead on TV/streaming, no. 

Also, Spider Web floppage is hardly on her. she didn't help the movie but Salander fad passed years ago. No one could have saved it. There's no reason to green-light this thing and yet here we are. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Speaking of Claire Foy, will First Man even get a 3.0 multiplier? Seems unlikely. 

Looks unlikely, might just about get there with Thanksgiving if it hangs around. That's a very disappointing run for what was originally an awards front-runner.

• Like 1

First Man was one of the frontrunners when everything was unseen, but it became obvious during the festivals it wouldn’t win anything above the line.

btw, the Blu-Ray is scheduled to be out before Oscar nominations, so any expansion will add very little

The Oscars don't care about box office but they also don't like the stench of failure either. First Man was not some tiny indie that did good for what it was, it was a wannabe blockbuster that was expected to do very well. First Man has a good chance at a nomination but a win is out of the question now.

I have nothing against First Man @CoolEric258. Sometimes I just become fascinated by certain flops. If you don't like my posts then just block me or don't read them. I don't like every thing posted on this forum either, that's what the block button is for.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 3

I would regard Overlord's grossing above Spider's Web to be a win not just for Paramount but for the industry as a whole. Spider's Web is a "we greenlighted this for the money" type adaption, while Overlord is a well-made original. This will improve confidence in mid-budget originals, hopefully.

Moments like this are why I find myself rooting for Paramount, the wildcard of the Big Six, as often as I do.

Edit: This was achieved in a smaller amount of theaters, too.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I would regard Overlord's grossing above Spider's Web to be a win not just for Paramount but for the industry as a whole. Spider's Web is a "we greenlighted this for the money" type adaption, while Overlord is a well-made original. This will improve confidence in mid-budget originals, hopefully.

Moments like this are why I find myself rooting for Paramount, the wildcard of the Big Six, as often as I do.

Edit: This was achieved in a smaller amount of theaters, too.

Definitely a small victory though all things considered. I guess anything helps, and you're totally right. 

• Like 1

Claire Foy being in The Girl in the Spider's Web was just a case of bad luck. She signed for it probably thinking that it was gonna be the franchise that would provide the nice paydays for her, but unfortunately the franchise she was offered turned out to be a property that passed its sell-by date years ago. The only way they could've gotten people excited for this series again is if they had gotten Fincher/Mara/Craig back but alas...

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Whatever happened to Rooney Mara?

Probably taking some time off since she has nothing lined up at the moment. I remember one of the juicier bits reported on in those Sony leaks a few years back that she kept emailing Amy Pascal about making a sequel to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. She's probably looking at the box office numbers for this one and thinking, "maybe it was for the best it didn't happen."

40 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Probably taking some time off since she has nothing lined up at the moment. I remember one of the juicier bits reported on in those Sony leaks a few years back that she kept emailing Amy Pascal about making a sequel to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. She's probably looking at the box office numbers for this one and thinking, "maybe it was for the best it didn't happen."

If they had made another within 3 years for the same budget as this one has it would have been great.