CJohn

POKÉMON: DETECTIVE PIKACHU OVER 300M OW THUNDERBOLT CLUB | PIKA PIKA MOTHERF*CKERS

If Universal has any brains in their head, they'll use their theme park rights to the franchise to build a huge Pokemon land at the new park in the works for Florida.

5 hours ago, Nova said:

You pretty much described why every single video game adaptation up to this point hasn't exactly worked out. Which is why the people behind this film were smart to NOT go that route and instead focus on having an actual story/plot. 

How many of those video game adaptations were video game adaptations of the most popular franchise in the world? You're talking about a franchise that brings in more revenue than Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Harry Potter....you name it. Not to mention that they actually were able to bring the Pokemon to life in an accurate way. Then consider the buzz that the trailer generated, and well it's easy to see why box office expectations for this are high. 

there's been tons of video game adaptions that were huge IPS that didn't do all the box office. Reading the comments and doing a little bit of independent research I have no doubt that the movie will do well. I certainly don't think it's going to open to a hundred million and it wouldn't surprise me if it only open between 50-60 million.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Christmas baumer said:

there's been tons of video game adaptions that were huge IPS that didn't do all the box office. Reading the comments and doing a little bit of independent research I have no doubt that the movie will do well. I certainly don't think it's going to open to a hundred million and it wouldn't surprise me if it only open between 50-60 million.

Hey now let the kids fantasize about their pokemon. :apocalypse:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Christmas baumer said:

You disappoint me my love

• Haha 2

Pokémon the movie back in 1999 did $31 million OW with $50 million 5-day and finished with $85 million in the states back in 1999 dollars.

Adjusted for almost 20  years of ticket price inflation, today it would $55.8 million in its 3-days and finish with $154 million domestic. 

On rhe the low end, Detective Pikachu will perform with the adjusted numbers of the Pokémon movie. But with Ryan Reynolds using his Deadpool wit, that should be a good target. 

But... never underestimate nostalgia, I see more a $60-$70 million opener with near $200 million of RT and audiences are pleased. But $150-$160 million is a good total target. Then $500 million or so worldwide is enough for a sequel or two.

but $300 million ow is too insane for this, Infinity War part II coming out and May 2019 is where the bloodbath begins. 

So I’m out 

3 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

near $200 million if RT and audiences are pleased. But $150-$160 million is a good total target. Then $500 million or so worldwide

Just to be clear: all those numbers are for the first day, right?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Create an under $70m OW club, then. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Christmas baumer said:

Please list one that has similar IPS to Pokémon. You can’t. There isn’t one. 

People who don’t know anything about video games know who Pokémon are. There isn’t a single video game that has an IPS anywhere near Pokémon so comparing it to other video game adaptations is irrelevant because Pokémon is on another level. Just to give you an example, my fiances mom was over last night and has zero clue about Pokémon games but she saw the trailer for this film and knew who Pikachu was. I’m not saying she’s gonna go watch the movie or anything but what I’m trying to say is that Pokémon are engrained within our culture. Similar to comic book movies and Star Wars movies. There isn’t another video game out there that’s like that. 

Add to the fact that the movie isn’t just Pokémon fighting or anything but there’s an actual story to it (again unlike other video game adaptations) and I feel like people are going to underestimate this movie at the box office. 

Edited by Nova

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

I’m not saying she’s gonna go watch the movie or anything but what I’m trying to say is that Pokémon are engrained within our culture. Similar to comic book movies and Star Wars movies. There isn’t another video game out there that’s like that. 

Well there is Mario; they should try to make a live-action Mario, it couldn't possibly fail!

Otherwise yeah, it is a very short list.

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Well there is Mario; they should try to make a live-action Mario, it couldn't possibly fail!

If they could find a way to give Mario an actual plot, then yes I would agree. Mario is another one that is obviously up there and that everyone knows regardless of whether they've played the game or not BUT as far as I know there's never been a movie based on it. Although I could be mistaken. 

Honestly, if this movie was based simply on a trainer going around, capturing other Pokemon and battling then yea I wouldn't be so high on it and I could see it failing. But for me, it's how they're going about and selling this as an actual movie with a plot/story that has me very confident in its box office potential. 

5 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

I was going to say that Mario/Donkey Kong must be up there as well.

Jesus movie can and often fail, so obviously being known and even beloved is not all that is needed, one strength from that movie project, at least from what is projected from the trailer is that it does not seem to come from much restriction from the game mechanics/storyline, it is a buddy-detective comedy like a regular movie, it will have little to no resistance from people that do not know the game I feel, a bit like Angry Bird or the Dwayne Johnson one, people will not feel they will have an hard time to follow if they do not know the material or that it is for geeks like they could for a Warcraft and the movie should not pose a challenge to be a good one being a very well known trope like it was for an Assassin Creed.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Pokémon fighting each other is essential not only to the story but to the franchise though?

I’m just not gonna say anything anymore because I’m already in a lot of disagreements to this. Detective Pikachu will open to $150M+ easily, but a straight adaptation to the game/anime with good writing and talent behind would’ve been a realistic candidate for this club. Just saying 

I have Detective Pikachu around $70M-$75M OW/$220M-$250M DOM finish but it definitely has the potential to do wayyy more, I have the exact feeling I for this I had with Sing and Jumanji. I remember when Jumanjii’s trailer blew up with some of the same skepticism. I believe this will be the same but on a smaller scale. This should play well with 4vengers. 

6 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Sorry there's no way this doesn't have a 100M+ opening weekend. I foresee a potential $175-200 OW.

So you are OUT ?

I did think this club wasn't happening even when I thought it was just 300 DOM yesterday, but after all the buzz and awareness I've seen over this the past two days now, I am in on 300+ DOM. Obviously this club is still nuts lol, but it could open like 120-140m I think.

Edited by MovieMan89

2 hours ago, Nova said:

If they could find a way to give Mario an actual plot, then yes I would agree. Mario is another one that is obviously up there and that everyone knows regardless of whether they've played the game or not BUT as far as I know there's never been a movie based on it. Although I could be mistaken. 

super-mario-bros-movie.jpg?quality=95&w=

• Like 1

Effective trailers can count for a lot.

Obviously this ludicrous club won't happen but $100m+ OW isn't out of the question IMO.

2 hours ago, Nova said:

You need to see the Mario movie. It is GLORIOUS. It's not really particularly good but it's fantastic.

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

You need to see the Mario movie. It is GLORIOUS. It's not really particularly good but it's fantastic.

TRUST THE FUNGUS

• Like 1