Lordmandeep

Black Panther vs Infinity War vs Incredibles 2 - Which one did you like more?

Black Panther vs Infinity War vs Incredibles 2  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Black Panther vs Infinity War- Which film is better

As we reached the end of 2018, these three films left I think the biggest impact with audiences this year as they all became massive global hits.

Black Panther became a cultural Zeitgeist moment about Black Characters in blockbusters movies and seemed it would overshadow everything this year in the box office and cultural impact.

However, Infinity War, received an overwhelmingly positive reception from the MCU fanbase and even from casual comic book fans and took Superhero movies to new heights with its global reach and grand scope.

Incredibles 2 captured the nostalgia of the first film and led to a very fun and adventurous 2nd film and another home run by Pixar.

Yeah I ignored Jurrasic World, bite me.

Infinity War is the only 1 out of the 3 people still talk about. Black Panther was really good, but the more I see it and worse it gets and I find most people now just view it as a pretty good CBM which in hindsight was pretty overrated.

Incredibles 2 I hear no-one talk about, then again I don't hang around with 10 year olds much 

• Like 1

In the poll exxplanation you ask for which one is the better, but in the title you ask which one someone liked the most followed by the first post where you speak about the biggest impact on the (general?) audience.

In my POV these are three different questions that have nothing to do with each other.

Gotta be Avengers. It was the culmination of a decade's worth of character building and a massive event. I think it hit every note it needed to and then some. Packed all the punch, had some incredible sequences, and the ending was amazing. 

Black Panther I've yet to rewatch but I remember it being good not great. Incredibles 2 was a great sequel and I thought it was worth the wait, however not as good as IW.

1. Infinity War

2. Incredibles 2

3. Black Panther

• Like 1

Infinity War. it will go down as a classic, it will be a shame if BP (which was a good movie don't get me wrong, just not BEST PICTURE good) gets nominated for purely PC reasons when IW is clearly the better film in almost every way. I2 was great, not as good as the first though.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Kalo said:

Infinity War. it will go down as a classic, it will be a shame if BP (which was a good movie don't get me wrong, just not BEST PICTURE good) gets nominated for purely PC reasons when IW is clearly the better film in almost every way. I2 was great, not as good as the first though.

Black Panther isn’t going to get nominated for pure PC reasons (if it even does).

It’s literally the best received live-action superhero movie critically.  Infinity War is not.

It also made the bigger impact here domestically, as Black Panther was bigger than Infinity War in the US.  Note that the Academy is a US institution, so they’ll probably value the domestic impact of a movie over the global one.

You are free to like Infinity War more.  But don’t delegitimize Black Panther’s critical and commercial success to “PC REASONS!” because it’s not true.  Also, don’t delegitimize the opinions of people who do prefer BP.  You’re putting words in people’s mouth.

I’m amoung the people that liked Black Panther more than IW (in fact, it’s easily my favourite MCU Movie, mostly because of how well Coogler blends art and entertainment).  I also think it serves as a more complete, standalone film.  People who are voting for BP for awards ceremonies are likely voting for similar reasons.

In other words, stop being insecure that Black Panther is receiving success in areas Infinity War is not.  You are allowed to have your opinions, but don’t put the expectation that if others aren’t validating/sharing that opinion that theirs aren’t legitimate too.  It just makes you seem insecure and shows you need others to agree with you for your opinion to feel valid.

Edited by PANDA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1. Avengers: Infinity War  9+/10

2. Incredibles 2  9/10 (almost as good as the original)

3. Black Panther  6+/10

I have a great fun watching Incredibles on the big screen - clearly on of the best cinema experience this year so far - but I vote for Avengers, which is probably the comicbook film of the decade! It's the definitive Marvel film, Return of the King of superhero genre and still my favorite film o 2018. It also might be the most emotionally powerful blockbuster of all time (yeah, I said that!), cause Russo Bros. boldly made the use of this 10 years / set up of MCU films/characters (of course it didn't work that good if You're not the fan and You don't now the previous MCU films. I am & I do :)). Black Panther was also fun, but it has a lot of problems, and due to all these nominations / awards / overwhelming reviews - which only harm the film - BP quickly become one of the most overrated films of the XXI century in my opinion.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PANDA said:

It’s literally the best received live-action superhero movie critically.  Infinity War is not.

It's might have been the best received superhero movie critically also due to PC reasons. :P

Check this out. BP isn't higher than IW if you look at Top10 of 2018 critics lists.

https://www.metacritic.com/feature/film-critics-list-the-top-10-movies-of-2018?ref=hp

Also, I don't get it why You're attacking @Kalo It's just his opinion, he doesn't force You to agree with him. Let him think what he wanna think.

Edited by Juby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Juby said:

It's might have been the best received superhero movie critically also due to PC reasons. :P

Check this out. BP isn't higher than IW if you look at Top10 of 2018 critics lists.

https://www.metacritic.com/feature/film-critics-list-the-top-10-movies-of-2018?ref=hp

Also, I don't get it why You're attacking @Kalo It's just his opinion, he doesn't force You to agree with him. Let him think what he wanna think.

I’m not “attacking” him.  I’m attacking the BS that movie is successful for PC reasons.

The whole argument is rooted in racism that a black movie couldn’t possibly have the same merits as a white movie.  It’s BS.  

Then again, why am I telling you this when you’re the one who kept spewing the racist drivel in the BP thread.

• Like 3

tumblr_ogr0hxDBdr1r2wxwko1_500.gif

Okay. . .

Yes, all people who believes that's we're living in world after #OscarSoWhite and Black Panther, as well as Selma few years ago, is so pumped to every awards, and no critic dare to gave him at least mixed review on metacritic, is racist. Believe that. :P

Of course  film about black character / with black director can have the same merits as a film about the white guy / directed by eg. Spielberg. No one deny that. But Black Panther is just not that movie. It okay blockbuster, decent film, nowhere close to be one of the year's best picture and I can name dozen of comicbook genre milestones who deserves to be the first Best Pic. nominated superhero film more than Panther. Not because they are about white superheros or something, it's just because they're better films, that's all.

But again, that's only my opinion. You don't have to agree with me, and there's no reason the get mad.

Edited by Juby
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PANDA said:

Black Panther isn’t going to get nominated for pure PC reasons (if it even does).

This, one can argue if the production design and casting feeling so fresh because of the all black cast on that movie of that scale played a significant part in it's success, but to say purely for PC reasons the voters would vote for the biggest domestic movie of the year with an A+ cinemascore and an over 85 metacritic score.

When was the last non-sequel with an over 85 metacritic score live action in the box office top 3 to miss a BP nomination in the expended era ?

Looking at this, even going back since 2000:

https://www.imdb.com/search/title?title_type=feature&release_date=2000-01-01,&sort=boxoffice_gross_us,desc

Giant dbo with a 85+ MC score

• Toy story 3,
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 
  • Finding Nemo
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 
  • Inside Out
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
  • Up
  • Gravity
  • The Incredible

Except for the part 2 very deep in the series that was the last Potter, they all received good Oscar attention, all live action getting in BP.

That was the sad almost certain consequence of the #OscarSoWhite and other movement like that, was certain that it would put an asterix over person of color accomplishment in many people mind and make there award nomination/win/good reviews worth less for a while, could be a necessary step too.

It will probably change back if more diversity get achieve stop being talked about/special, the impression critics go easier on a Wrinkle in time than on a Johnny Depp sci-fi going away.

Has for BP vs Infinity War, it is true that the first entry feel (and all the work/creativity that go with it, having more to create) is a big factor, almost no sequel ever got an BP nomination (remove the Godfathers and the Lord of the Rings and there is almost nothing left), some voters will not go back watch some Thor/Iron Man/SpiderMan movies to be able to be correctly emotionally invested (lot of moment are completely sold by audience pre awareness/attachment to characthers)

17 hours ago, PANDA said:

It also made the bigger impact here domestically, as Black Panther was bigger than Infinity War in the US.  Note that the Academy is a US institution, so they’ll probably value the domestic impact of a movie over the global one.

You are free to like Infinity War more.  But don’t delegitimize Black Panther’s critical and commercial success to “PC REASONS!” because it’s not true.  Also, don’t delegitimize the opinions of people who do prefer BP.  You’re putting words in people’s mouth.

I’m amoung the people that liked Black Panther more than IW (in fact, it’s easily my favourite MCU Movie, mostly because of how well Coogler blends art and entertainment).  I also think it serves as a more complete, standalone film.  People who are voting for BP for awards ceremonies are likely voting for similar reasons.

In other words, stop being insecure that Black Panther is receiving success in areas Infinity War is not.  You are allowed to have your opinions, but don’t put the expectation that if others aren’t validating/sharing that opinion that theirs aren’t legitimate too.  It just makes you seem insecure and shows you need others to agree with you for your opinion to feel valid.

You seemed to be making a lot of huge assumptions here, I said I liked Black Panther, I liked it a lot, it is in my top 10 favorite films of the year, I disagree that it is the best Superhero film ever, as I probably can think of 10 or so I like better, IW and I2 are two of them.

I could care less if other people agree with me or not I have more important things to do. 

But Infinity War is in my opinion one of the greatest SH films ever made, it was 10 years in the making, it's scale was massive and the fact that the Russo brothers mostly pulled it off making a great film, juggling so many different characters, styles and story-lines is nothing short of astonishing. 

BP was a very good superhero movie, but is was still pretty formulative as far as SH films go, again this is just my opinion, but almost every film that is "woke" or  politically relevant is given a bump from critics. AwiT for example  didn't get not great reviews, but not nearly as bad as you would think considering how awful it's audience score is. BP is below IW in user ratings on IMDB (8.5 v 7.4), Letterboxd (4.0 v 3.8) and RT (91% v 79%). not just by a fraction either so you tell me. 

Anyways I don't mean to sound insensitive or mean, but please don't put words in my mouth, anyone is free to have whatever opinion they like. 

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

@Barnack

We all know that Black Panther has great reviews, A+ from the audience (that's from the first day of screenings) and a lot of people love the film. No one deny that. But that's not the point, cause in this case, no matter how good the film is. This years social importance means more than movie quality. BP is so pumped, as I said before, because he is BLACK Panther. This year we have more blockbusters with so great reviews, there was for eg. Mission: Impossible - Fallout - 86/100 at MTC, at rottentomatoes even better grade than Panther(!), IMDb grade is also higher than Panther, people love the film, and it's a landmark in action genre. 0 nominations, 0 awards. Guess why the difference between the two is so huge in current awards season, if both are beloved films by the critics / industrie.

And why You call BP "non-sequel"? It's a Civil War sequel / part of big cinematic universe.

Not sure why you assume MI will have 0 nominations, but a lot of the great element from Mission Impossible come from previous movie already made (like the score), it is always quite an uphill battle for a sequel to get recognition.

BP is pumped, but I am not sure movie social important mean more than quality (is quality and success themselve being a part of the social importance making the distinction not too obvious here), the movie need to deliver big time to achieve this, I am not one that particularly get the MCU appeal but it is quite undeniable how much this worked with so many people.

I assume nothing. Fallout had 0 nominations / awards to any movie awards yesterday if I'm not wrong. It might get some, but this is not the same level as Panther, cause it's not "cultural phenomenon" outside the film. That's why I'm not fan of any film awards, they always very attached to the politics, the movie about holocaust has x100 more shot to get recognition than action film, BLACK Panther has x100 times shot to get recognition than Avengers or any previous sh film, and so on. . .

PS

Mad Max: Fury Road or The Bourne Ultimatum are also sequels, and both get recognition. Fallout could too.