Lordmandeep

Black Panther vs Infinity War vs Incredibles 2 - Which one did you like more?

Black Panther vs Infinity War vs Incredibles 2  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Black Panther vs Infinity War- Which film is better

8 hours ago, Kalo said:

You seemed to be making a lot of huge assumptions here, I said I liked Black Panther, I liked it a lot, it is in my top 10 favorite films of the year, I disagree that it is the best Superhero film ever, as I probably can think of 10 or so I like better, IW and I2 are two of them.

I could care less if other people agree with me or not I have more important things to do. 

But Infinity War is in my opinion one of the greatest SH films ever made, it was 10 years in the making, it's scale was massive and the fact that the Russo brothers mostly pulled it off making a great film, juggling so many different characters, styles and story-lines is nothing short of astonishing. 

BP was a very good superhero movie, but is was still pretty formulative as far as SH films go, again this is just my opinion, but almost every film that is "woke" or  politically relevant is given a bump from critics. AwiT for example  didn't get not great reviews, but not nearly as bad as you would think considering how awful it's audience score is. BP is below IW in user ratings on IMDB (8.5 v 7.4), Letterboxd (4.0 v 3.8) and RT (91% v 79%). not just by a fraction either so you tell me. 

Anyways I don't mean to sound insensitive or mean, but please don't put words in my mouth, anyone is free to have whatever opinion they like. 

I do not have a problem that you liked IW more than BP.

My problem comes from your comments like these.  You expanded to “politically relevant”, yet still by woke you’re implying black movies.  You’re implying black artists don’t have to work as hard, or be as good, to receive critical success and the opposite is true.

I didn’t put words in your mouth, you literally said

”it will be a shame if BP (which was a good movie don't get me wrong, just not BEST PICTURE good) getsnominated for purely PC reasons”

Which again, is implying if BP gets nominated, it’s not because of merit but because it’s a black movie.  It’s the same BS that people said about 21YAS and Moonlight.  It’s an argument rooted in subtle racism that a black movie can’t possibly be having success because it’s a good movie, and so it must be having the success people are being “PC”, meanwhile the white movie apparently completely earned its success.

Whether you intended on it or not, that’s the message that comes across when you say “This is getting nominated for purely PC reasons”.  

Now you can either own up to the fact that what you said was insensitive at best, or you can keep digging yourself your hole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, PANDA said:

I do not have a problem that you liked IW more than BP.

My problem comes from your comments like these.  You expanded to “politically relevant”, yet still by woke you’re implying black movies.  You’re implying black artists don’t have to work as hard, or be as good, to receive critical success and the opposite is true.

I didn’t put words in your mouth, you literally said

”it will be a shame if BP (which was a good movie don't get me wrong, just not BEST PICTURE good) getsnominated for purely PC reasons”

Which again, is implying if BP gets nominated, it’s not because of merit but because it’s a black movie.  It’s the same BS that people said about 21YAS and Moonlight.  It’s an argument rooted in subtle racism that a black movie can’t possibly be having success because it’s a good movie, and so it must be having the success people are being “PC”, meanwhile the white movie apparently completely earned its success.

Whether you intended on it or not, that’s the message that comes across when you say “This is getting nominated for purely PC reasons”.  

Now you can either own up to the fact that what you said was insensitive at best, or you can keep digging yourself your hole.

whatever, I'm tired of people like you trying to accuse others of being racist just because they believe a certain way or aren't a cookie cutter left wing. The Internet is not a good place to judge people anyways, In real life you may be a great person, but right now you just seem like your trying to play Saint by making someone look bad, I'm going trough a very hard time right now, my dad almost died from a stroke a few weeks ago and I don't have all the filters that I usually do, this is a puny issue and I would rather not have someone who knows nothing about me acuse me of being a racist because I am not, maybe I do have some unconscious racism from my upbringing or the couture I was bright up in but I do my best to love everyone, and i love all races, if I could choose my wife would be black because I love them, it is my job as a Christian to love, just please lay off of the rasict holier than thou retric for once.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Kalo said:

whatever, I'm tired of people like you trying to accuse others of being racist just because they believe a certain way or aren't a cookie cutter left wing. The Internet is not a good place to judge people anyways, In real life you may be a great person, but right now you just seem like your trying to play Saint by making someone look bad, I'm going trough a very hard time right now, my dad almost died from a stroke a few weeks ago and I don't have all the filters that I usually do, this is a puny issue and I would rather not have someone who knows nothing about me acuse me of being a racist because I am not, maybe I do have some unconscious racism from my upbringing or the couture I was bright up in but I do my best to love everyone, and i love all races, if I could choose my wife would be black because I love them, it is my job as a Christian to love, just please lay off of the rasict holier than thou retric for once.

If you want me to lay off the “Don’t say racist stuff” maybe you should not say racist shit?

Im not calling you racist, but I’m saying that argument that “BP’s success is due to being PC” is a common racist argument.  Don’t defend yourself by saying you’re not racist, show it by realizing where prejudice is rooted in society (including that line of argument against BP).

Edited by PANDA
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

37 minutes ago, PANDA said:

If you want me to lay off the “Don’t say racist stuff” maybe you should not say racist shit?

Im not calling you racist, but I’m saying that argument that “BP’s success is due to being PC” is a common racist argument.  Don’t defend yourself by saying you’re not racist, show it by realizing where prejudice is rooted in society (including that line of argument against BP).

I think it is a very complicated issue that has problems on both sides. And I'll leave it at that. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kalo said:

I think it is a very complicated issue that has problems on both sides. And I'll leave it at that. 

*Sigh*

Acknowledging that BP is getting recognized based off it’s own merits and not because it’s “PC to give a black movie a positive review” isn’t a complicated issue.

Acknowledging that minorities have an uphill battle in most industries and it’s flat out lie when people say “they’re being given something because of their race” isn’t a complicated issue.

There isn’t a “both sideism” here at all.  “Both sides” is something people use to excuse themselves and their side of bad behavior.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

49 minutes ago, PANDA said:

*Sigh*

Acknowledging that BP is getting recognized based off it’s own merits and not because it’s “PC to give a black movie a positive review” isn’t a complicated issue.

Acknowledging that minorities have an uphill battle in most industries and it’s flat out lie when people say “they’re being given something because of their race” isn’t a complicated issue.

There isn’t a “both sideism” here at all.  “Both sides” is something people use to excuse themselves and their side of bad behavior.

51 minutes ago, PANDA said:

*Sigh*

A lot of movie's nominations get discussions about if it earned or not.

I find that every time a bit strange, depending on the reasons given, sometimes even very strange

Why argue about it in the way its only got the nom bcs of PC?

Argue why you think it is not good enough with explicit examples and not with strange (IMHO shallow) generalizations.

The base of the PC is the reason argument is IMHO that certain ppl assumed BP critics gave then such high ratings for PC reason already. And solely bcs of that.

But if you read through the reasoning of the reviewers, there are a lot of arguments, plus points ,... that have nothing to do with PC

Question yourself why you do not agree. If you agree to it a bit in some cases or not at all (per reason given). In the sum you should start to realize, that a lot of reviewers actually do praise it for reasons such far away from PC, that PC simply can not be the sole reason for it ending on some nomination list

One wrote about 'as a SH movie' It was not a pure SH movie, might want to rethink that in connection why at least some reviewers might have liked it for the non-typical-SH parts?

With the too big of a simplification like 'its only bcs...' it does rise the question of about why argue in such a way? Laziness in formulating or....?

• Like 2

@Jessie

Maybe instead of reacting to all my posts with not cool and laughing reactions you should say what’s so bad about them?

Oh wait, you’re also somebody who’s posted racially insensitive stuff, at best, in the diversity thread.  So you’ll probably just respond with more of it

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Isn't he banned for 2 weeks or so?

Shouldn't go back to the reason of this thread?

Sorry, this thread has gotten off-topic, so I’ll remove myself from the situation.

I’m just done not calling out racism where it is (not calling any of these members racist, but there have been plenty of racist lines of thinking that users here have used to attack BP and other movies with diverse casts and I’m sick of it)

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PANDA said:

Sorry, this thread has gotten off-topic, so I’ll remove myself from the situation.

I’m just done not calling out racism where it is (not calling any of these members racist, but there have been plenty of racist lines of thinking that users here have used to attack BP and other movies with diverse casts and I’m sick of it)

I am doing that myself (also female related nonsense), but I meant to maybe not ping someone here who is finally quiet.

But I do understand the 'not cool' reactions are a bit ... I do not even know a term for that.

Back to BP

I seem to have missed the Saturn Awards, I didn't know or forgot how many noms and wins BP already got there

Today's noms are already updated, so here all noms/wins IMDb does

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825683/awards?ref_=tt_awd

the same for Incredibles 2

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3606756/awards?ref_=tt_awd

and Infinity War

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4154756/awards?ref_=tt_awd

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 4:19 PM, PANDA said:

@Jessie

Maybe instead of reacting to all my posts with not cool and laughing reactions you should say what’s so bad about them?

Oh wait, you’re also somebody who’s posted racially insensitive stuff, at best, in the diversity thread.  So you’ll probably just respond with more of it

I reacted to your posts because Kalo was right. He brought up an interesting point and you are trying to play saint by claiming he's a racist. Before you show me the racist card know that my partner is actually black/Brazilian. BP was a good film and it did get a boost for PC reasons, the first review that pops up on RT is a great example of it..

'Marvel's Black Panther film means so much to so many people. The film is a lightning rod of representation, in a time where black people feel so belittled and not paid attention to.'

You'd have to be very narrow minded to disagree with him, especially if it gets a BP nod, which would make it the first superhero movie ever to do so. It made me laugh how upon release there were hundreds of white celebs tweeting about how much they loved Black Panther. I'd never seen so many celebs comment on a movie before. It was basically a load of fake  white people wanting to let the world know they're not racist for loving Black Panther, it was cringe to see. Even one of South Park's newest episodes touches on this subject and hits the nail on the head with this.

Hell this was the sort of behaviour Get Out covered. I bet you're one of those guys that meets a black guy for the first time and within 2 minutes you'll have brought up black panther. My friends the same, meets a black guy and within a minute he has to being up the fact that his girlfriend is black. It was the same with this movie

So in conclusion Kalo is right, in an era where the Oscars are so white and people calling out for diversity it's no surprise that a diverse 250m blockbuster has had praise for giving minorities the opportunity to have their own mega blockbuster. No-one is taking anything away from the team behind the movie but it's not unreasonable to suggest BP had a boost for PC reasons

Edited by Jessie

1 hour ago, Jessie said:

I reacted to your posts because Kalo was right. He brought up an interesting point and you are trying to play saint by claiming he's a racist. Before you show me the racist card know that my partner is actually black/Brazilian. BP was a good film and it did get a boost for PC reasons, the first review that pops up on RT is a great example of it..

'Marvel's Black Panther film means so much to so many people. The film is a lightning rod of representation, in a time where black people feel so belittled and not paid attention to.'

You'd have to be very narrow minded to disagree with him, especially if it gets a BP nod, which would make it the first superhero movie ever to do so. It made me laugh how upon release there were hundreds of white celebs tweeting about how much they loved Black Panther. I'd never seen so many celebs comment on a movie before. It was basically a load of fake  white people wanting to let the world know they're not racist for loving Black Panther, it was cringe to see. Even one of South Park's newest episodes touches on this subject and hits the nail on the head with this.

Hell this was the sort of behaviour Get Out covered. I bet you're one of those guys that meets a black guy for the first time and within 2 minutes you'll have brought up black panther. My friends the same, meets a black guy and within a minute he has to being up the fact that his girlfriend is black. It was the same with this movie

So in conclusion Kalo is right, in an era where the Oscars are so white and people calling out for diversity it's no surprise that a diverse 250m blockbuster has had praise for giving minorities the opportunity to have their own mega blockbuster. No-one is taking anything away from the team behind the movie but it's not unreasonable to suggest BP had a boost for PC reasons

L O L

You’re claiming I’m “the type of person to meet a black person and the first thing I say is I liked Black Panther” Why?  Because I liked Black Panther, like most other people?

You’re making a whole lot of assumptions about me personally instead of engaging my actual argument. Not going to bother with giving you any actual retort.

Meanwhile you start your post off by pulling the “I’m not racist, I have a black friend” card.  Not indulging your bullshit

Edited by PANDA
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, PANDA said:

L O L

You’re claiming I’m “the type of person to meet a black person and the first thing I say is I liked Black Panther” Why?  Because I liked Black Panther, like most other people?

You’re making a whole lot of assumptions about me personally instead of engaging my actual argument. Not going to bother with giving you any actual retort.

Meanwhile you start your post off by pulling the “I’m not racist, I have a black friend” card.  Not indulging your bullshit

Aww you don't like people making assumptions about you? Maybe you shouldn't do the same to others then bud. Kalo expressed his common opinion, even mentions about his father having a stroke and you continue to call him a racist, it's shocking, we should be able to discuss something like this in a movie forum without calling anyone with a different point of view a racist

I've engaged your argument, South Park has even engaged your argument, you're just choosing to ignore it, why? Probably because you know you're simply wrong here.

And yes my girlfriend is black, sat with me right now eating mince pies actually and even she thinks you're trying to play saint 😂

Edited by Jessie

10 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Aww you don't like people making assumptions about you? Maybe you shouldn't do the same to others then bud. Kalo expressed his common opinion, even mentions about his father having a stroke and you continue to call him a racist, it's shocking, we should be able to discuss something like this in a movie forum without calling anyone with a different point of view a racist

I've engaged your argument, South Park has even engaged your argument, you're just choosing to ignore it, why? Probably because you know you're simply wrong here.

And yes my girlfriend is black, sat with me right now eating mince pies actually and even she thinks you're trying to play saint 😂

Specifically said I wasn’t call him racist.  I also couldn’t care less what you or your girlfriend say.

Again, I’m not indulging your shit, so I’ll leave it at that.  Don’t bother responding because I’m done here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2018 at 8:38 AM, The Panda said:

I’m not “attacking” him.  I’m attacking the BS that movie is successful for PC reasons.

The whole argument is rooted in racism that a black movie couldn’t possibly have the same merits as a white movie.  It’s BS.  

Then again, why am I telling you this when you’re the one who kept spewing the racist drivel in the BP thread.

Your argument is valid but I think you forget that the Academy is fixated on films with social and political messages these days then really focusing what was actually the best film of the year. 

Considering there have been many comic book films that got rave reviews from critics and became well loved and now classic films from audiences  but get zero attention.... but now BP gets attention from these people...ehhh I would like to think race had no role but it seems clear it does..

My point being is that BP is likely getting an award nod from the academy due to the social impact plus being a well made comic book movie but BP is not the first well made Comic book movie either.

In terms of impact, I would say BP was a bigger deal then IW in the States but IW still very popular and one of the most talked about and memed movies of the year still. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

47 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Your argument is valid but I think you forget that the Academy is fixated on films with social and political messages these days then really focusing what was actually the best film of the year. 

Considering there have been many comic book films that got rave reviews from critics and became well loved and now classic films from audiences  but get zero attention.... but now BP gets attention from these people...ehhh I would like to think race had no role but it seems clear it does..

My point being is that BP is likely getting an award nod from the academy due to the social impact plus being a well made comic book movie but BP is not the first well made Comic book movie either.

In terms of impact, I would say BP was a bigger deal then IW in the States but IW still very popular and one of the most talked about and memed movies of the year still. 

The social context is part of what makes BP such a great movie though.  I’m mostly talking back against the notion that it’s only getting recognition due to people trying to be PC.  Different argument but I could see how those could be confused.

BP probably wouldn’t be getting notice without the social context, but that’s because that’s a central theme in the film and that subtext is what makes BP a deeper movie than most other comic book films.

On the contrary, the “PC reasons” argument seems to be more stemmed in claiming the film is getting nominated for just having a black cast, rather than the actual merits of the film itself (which the social subtext in the movie is a merit of it).

Edited by The Panda

In terms of themes and such it was by far the best in the MCU easily and I think the Academy and such cares more about themes in a film.

Whether a lot of people may have found IW a better comic book fan payoff or more entertaining is not as important to the academy. 

On 11/12/2018 at 6:55 PM, Lordmandeep said:

Yeah I ignored Jurrasic World, bite me.

Of that group that one by far, I barely remember Incredibles 2 making it the last or unranked I imagine.

Jurassic world 2

Black panther vs Infinity war

Incredible 2

Hum BP vs Infinity war, would need to rewatch them.