Daxtreme

Dax's movie fight showcase thread

Sometimes I just wanna share some cool fights with you guys. And discuss or offer some insight into them. Every time I'd just... not do it. No more!

Since my top is now closed for further replies, I figured I'd just create a new, different thread.

So let this be a repository for cool movie fight sequences. Anybody can join in on the discussion and fun!

Format: You're welcome to follow my format but really... just do whatever you want ;) 

Except -- try your best to find at least some box office data on the movie. Sometimes it's impossible but this is, after all, a box office website.

Happy watching people kick the shit out of each other!

1MlS.gif

• Like 2

I'm gonna kick this off with a recent movie, and a hilarious fight scene!

Upgrade (2018)

4YEaQTV.jpg

Directed by: Leigh Whannell

Fight Choreography: Chris Weir, Michael M Foster

Starring: Logan Marshall-Green, Melanie Vallejo, Steve Danielsen

Box office: $14,316,615 worldwide ($11,916,615 domestic)

My rating for this movie: ★★★★

Synopsis: Set in the near-future, technology controls nearly all aspects of life. But when Grey, a self-identified technophobe, has his world turned upside down, his only hope for revenge is an experimental computer chip implant called Stem.

S6242g5.gif

I love this fight scene because it uses cinematic techniques to further give a soul and aesthetic to the fight. It's not just about framing and cutting in expert fashion to give gravitas to the scene, but to do it in a way that helps understand the perspective of the character doing the fighting. The camera moves are excessive but at the same time, they're meaningful. Obviously not everyone likes that kind of cinematography but for what's it's trying to be and make us feel, I loved it. It sets itself apart quite nicely. 

By the end of the movie it does become a bit convoluted but I think this scene and the next in the bar encompass the best of what it has to offer.

A wonderful fight from a movie that's not so well-known, I recommend it. It's on google play.

NSFW - very violent

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 2

Might as well showcase the sequences I left out of the top for being redundant :P

Going back a couple decades, we're back in Hong Kong for this one.

Police Story 4: First Strike (1996)

M7R6Df.jpg

Directed by: Stanley Tong

Fight Choreography: Stanley Tong, Vic Wilson

Starring: Jackie Chan, Jackson Lou, Annie Wu 

Worldwide Box office: $21,890,845  ($15,318,863 domestic)

My rating for this movie: ★★★

Synopsis: This installment of Chan's Police Story film franchise has our hero trying to locate a missing nuclear warhead.

Interestingly enough, the Hong Kong version of this movie is quite hard to find, especially in good quality, and this sequence is longer in it which is part of the reason why people are still looking for it. The international release (including USA release) is much shorter.

tumblr_oufcyc3xeD1rmrpdmo1_400.gif

Jackie Chan fights with a ladder. Need I say more?

A classic!

• Astonished 1

More old school Jackie Chan!

My Lucky Stars (1985)

fullsize_poster.jpg

jgJbH3T.png

Directed by: Sammo Hung

Fight Choreography: Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao, Yuen Wah

Starring: Sammo Hung, Charlie Chin, Stanley Fung, Jackie Chan

Worldwide Box office: HK $30,748,643.00

My rating for this movie: ★★★

Synopsis: Two Hong-Kong cops are sent to Tokyo to catch an ex-cop who stole a large amount of money in diamonds. After one is captured by the Ninja-gang protecting the rogue cop, the other one gets his old Orphanage gang, dubbed the “Five Lucky Stars,” to help him. They don’t like this much, but they do it.

tumblr_pe6sewklLM1rmrpdmo1_400.gif

I'm gonna go outright and say this: The whole 3 stars out of 5 I gave this movie go to the action/fight sequences, which are terrific. Typical Jackie Chan/Sammo Hung stuff, excellent. Outstanding stunts and fight choreography, as usual.

Like I said in entry #14 of my top, the rest of this movie series is quite simply, pure nonsense... and this movie is no exception. I would dare say it's the worst out of the first 3 on that front.

Poor Sibelle Hu, the cringe induced from this movie must have shattered all her teeth right off.

But the fights are amazing!

One sequence

This sequence is only a small part of the final fight but I thought it was hilarious (couldn't find the whole of it on youtube). The fight is between Sibelle Hu and Michiko Nishikawi. The rest of the final fight lasts, I don't know, maybe 10 minutes? And it's a big brawl between many of the martial arts stars from that period.  You can find the whole movie on dailymotion but I'm not going to link it here.

Jackie Chan as usual performs the most impressive stunts, and he does so absolutely seamlessly as usual. 

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 10:36 AM, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/triple_threat_2019

This finally released but don't know where to watch it yet. Reviews seem solid for a Martial Arts film. 

On 3/22/2019 at 11:20 AM, Daxtreme said:

Yes some of the guys I'm following around have been saying it's pretty good. I will watch it for sure!

Skip it. Waste of talent.

Best not CG heavy fights in a 2019 movie so far have been in Polar Poster

Edited by 2kt09
  • Like 1

I watched it and it's pretty good.

Know this however: what a wasted opportunity. This movie could and should have been the holy grail of martial arts coming out in the recent years, and instead it settled for "just okay".

But there are some good fights in there. I will post a detailed review here later. I still suggest checking it out but leave your expectations at the door.

On 4/15/2019 at 1:00 PM, Daxtreme said:

I watched it and it's pretty good.

Know this however: what a wasted opportunity. This movie could and should have been the holy grail of martial arts coming out in the recent years, and instead it settled for "just okay".

But there are some good fights in there. I will post a detailed review here later. I still suggest checking it out but leave your expectations at the door.

Watched it and yeah big wasted potential. I don't expect that much of a good plot for martial arts movies but this was awful especially Ikos character. 

Last few fights at the end were good though.

• Like 1