Daxtreme

Dax's movie fight showcase thread

Alright, disappointment time?

Triple Threat (2019)

triple-threat-369158l-576x0-w-a3f0929e.j

Directed by: Jesse V Johnson

Fight Choreography: Tim Man

Starring: Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais, Scott Adkins, Tiger Chen, Michael J White, JeeJa Yanin, Michael Bisping, Celina Jade

Box office: Direct-to-video

My rating for this movie: ★★★½

Synopsis: A hit contract is taken out on a billionaire's daughter who is intent on bringing down a major crime syndicate. A down and out team of mercenaries must take on a group of professional assassins and stop them before they kill their target.

Could have been worse. This movie made very little sense, but we were 5 watching and I must say, it did a pretty good job at entertaining all of us. Tony Jaa's english is definitely in the "so bad it's good" category because we laughed out loud a few times. Almost every time he opened his mouth to be honest.

Was it good? Yes, I think so. Should it have been a lot better? Hell yes. It easily could and should have been an all-time classic in the genre.

The bad guys' plan is the worst plan I've ever seen. Or plans, since they had many. And they're ALL terrible. The only thing remotely interesting about this movie is the reverse double cross logic that happens... but still, it's played poorly so yeah.

What about the fights?

I thought the fights were done really well. Few cuts, good choreography. Could have been better and longer but I was very satisfied with what we got. Each fighter had their own style, and the last fight between Tony Jaa and Scott Adkins was hella great! Scott is the man, always so impressive.

But there were way too many shoot-outs. I usually don't mind them too much but the ending shoot-out in particular was drawn out, ridiculous, and useless. By the way, is it even possible to waste JeeJa Yanin more than this movie does? While we're at it, also stop casting Celina Jade in damsel in distress roles?

• Like 1

Finally watched something featuring Eric Jacobus

If you haven't heard of this guy, I suggest watching this short video of his.

Gonna watch everything from him eventually. Amazing fight!

• Like 1

Rewatched the Ip Man trilogy on Netflix. So many cool fights. Don't have good gifs for all of them.

Part 1 

- Duel in Ip Man's house where he uses the feather duster

- Ip Man vs 10 guys

Image result for ip man vs 10 guys gif

Part 2

- Ip Man vs the other kung fu teachers on the table

Related image

- Ip Man vs British Boxer

Image result for ip man vs boxer gif

Part 3

- Shipyard fight

- Ip man vs muai thai assassin

Related image

- Final fight - Wing Chun vs Wing Chun

Image result for ip man sword gif gif

- I liked the cheesy fight with Mike Tyson too

Image result for ip man vs tyson gif

Looking forward to part 4

Edited by EarlyDeadlinePredictions
  • Like 2

@JamesCameronScholar

Finally watched The Prodigal Son (about time) and man, I have to agree here, the final fight is excellent!

Frankie Chan is virtually a complete unknown and yet look at that! What a guy. I've seen him in only one other movie, Outlaw Brothers, and he was amazing as well, I recommend it since it also stars the incredible Yukari Oshima.

To the surprise of no one, Yuen Biao is also a rockstar here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

@JamesCameronScholar

Finally watched The Prodigal Son (about time) and man, I have to agree here, the final fight is excellent!

Frankie Chan is virtually a complete unknown and yet look at that! What a guy. I've seen him in only one other movie, Outlaw Brothers, and he was amazing as well, I recommend it since it also stars the incredible Yukari Oshima.

To the surprise of no one, Yuen Biao is also a rockstar here.

Glad you enjoyed it! Easily one of my all time best scenes, It's burned into my brain. 

• Like 1

Saw this recently, very unique, creative and stylish fight scene even though the choreography isn't anything to write home about. It's just fun and interesting, sort of drunken muay thai.

If you don't know who that fighter is, watch Chocolate by the director of Ong Bak

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 1