YM!

Weekend Thread 11/16 - 11/18 - Grindelwald $25.7M Friday, Instant Family at $4.5M Friday

So why is an, apparently crap movie like Venom doing gangbusters, yet a movie from a beloved franchise sinks when it's not that good? do the cbm fans have less discerning taste?

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

they need someone who dares to say No to her BS. If characters are bland (well, Newt and Tina are and they are leads so...) and story is confusing mess that even fans have problem following and retconning is of the worst kind, than someone should straighten her out. 

I think Rowling is a good writer but she's not a screenwriter and perhaps it's time for someone else to take over screen writer duties. Jack Thorne who wrote The Cursed Child script would be my choice but he's super busy with His Dark Materials.

16 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Speaking of HP-related movies....one’s got to wonder why ”Prisoner of Azkaban” from 2004, ended up as the lowest grossing HP-film at the time.

I mean...of all the first three (more family-friendlier PG-rated) HP-films, ”Azkaban” was the highest rated one in the series....and yet it couldn’t do over $250M+ DOM & $800M+ WW (it came very close with $249M & $796M WW). I stated before in theories, with POA having the smallest scale out of the first 3 films. But does anybody else have more theories of why Azkaban grossed the lowest, despite one of the best qualities? 🤔

When the 1st and 2nd HP potter came out, majority of the core fans were still kid, or adolescence, don't forget that 1st two movie were also lighter and literally lighter which appeal to them.

PoA was the 1st "dark" HP and i mean literally darker, with different Dumbledore and less adventure style, but more mysterious story telling.  The core fans, myself included, can't really accept that changes in direction, become less enthusiastic. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

If this movie got 3 million on Tuesday, then it shows severe frontloading if it just got 6.1 million on Thursday's previews ( which started 1 hour earlier than the first movie ).

Unless we assume that the same people who watched it on Tuesday, would be watching it yesterday regardless. 

ASIB did $1.35m/ $3.25m for $4.6m - 29.34%  - not that far off from FB2's 32.94%  and FB2 is a fan base heavy franchise sequel

Yikes...if it really was $3M Tuesday and then only $6.1M Thurs (even with starting at 5pm), that's a much iffier start than I thought last night...

It will be interesting to see how this plays OW and the next few weeks...the feedback on this board seems to have been that the movie's greatest flaw is that it forgot to tell a tight, sensible story that gave this movie value on its own merits, and not just as a "linker" (or extended trailer) between the prequel and coming sequel.  

It's an easy mistake to make when you're in the middle of a story...I thought LOTR handled this well in the trilogy, always making sure they had a "beginning to end" story in each movie, even if it meant stealing some from another book to do it...

9 minutes ago, a2k said:

It was a transition movie. didn't have kid friendly appeal along with a nov/dec release, and neither did it have the big villain come into play like with Gof and Ootp. Their job was to change the film tonally to suit a growing audience and that was done very well.

You got a good point there. Though to be fair, Azkaban still had the PG-rating and John Williams scoring the film (making it feel family-friendly. Ok, it had dark moments, but still...you get my point).

It wouldn’t be until GOF when the HP-films would go more mature, darker, riskier and bigger and with a PG-13 rating. Which is necessarily understandable, since GOF did have the return of (one of cinema’s popular & greatest fantasy villains) Voldemort. And that increased to $290M DOM & $896M WW. After that, the HP-films were 4-quadrant films with good box office & quality track record.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

So why is an, apparently crap movie like Venom doing gangbusters, yet a movie from a beloved franchise sinks when it's not that good? do the cbm fans have less discerning taste?

Venom is dojng well for the reason Suicidd Squad did well. The novelty was too great. But when it comes out on digital/Blu ray people will soon realize it sucked 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

It's really simple: money. Studios get a little profit to add into their totals, and movie theaters will generate higher traffic on a typically slow night. It's really no worse than opening at 7 on a Thursday.

Though if Disney does this tactic with Episode IX while I'm busy with finals, I'm gonna fly to Burbank and fist fight Bob Iger.

Not sure that can make much sense, that it can change the movie profit the actual day it start, Isn't it more about the OW-box office obsessed press and audience.

Wonder is some snow storm isn't simply the reason of the lower last night preview numbers.

Edited by Barnack

4 minutes ago, Alli said:

A good part of it might have to do with marketing. Say what you will about the trailer, but it definitely hooked audiences and made the film seem fun and a must-see. Beasts' trailers, at least to me, were just kinda average and nothing special. The only hook that it had was that it had more Potter iconography, which arguably might have limited its appeal than enhanced it. If it weren't for the fact that my dad was a massive Potterhead, I probably wouldn't have seen it in the theater. Of course I'm saying this as someone who didn't care for the first Fantastic Beasts at all.

• Like 2

EDIT: Deadline says the Tuesday/Thursday breakdown was $1.8/$7.3M...still not great for Thursday...

Grindelwald came in much higher last night with $9.1M. Note that’s not an exact like-for-like with the $8.75M Thursday night previews of Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them‘s from two years ago at this time. The figure includes Tuesday sneaks at 600 locations which minted around $1.8M we hear (hence last night was $7.3M). 

• Like 2

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

EDIT: Deadline says the Tuesday/Thursday breakdown was $1.8/$7.3M...still not great for Thursday...

Grindelwald came in much higher last night with $9.1M. Note that’s not an exact like-for-like with the $8.75M Thursday night previews of Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them‘s from two years ago at this time. The figure includes Tuesday sneaks at 600 locations which minted around $1.8M we hear (hence last night was $7.3M). 

Still means a $61-63m OW which isn't great but not panic alarm

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

better.   65M+ should still happen

https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-tracking-dogs-way-home-upside/

Ralph: 52 (+4%)/210(+5%)

Robin Hood: 9 (-10%)/28 (-7%)

Possession of Hannah Grace: 2.5/5

Aquaman: 55 (+10%)/210 (+14%)

A Dog's Way Home: 12/40

The Upside: 13/39

Feel like both Dog's Way Home and Upside are a little too low tbh.

11 minutes ago, Alli said:

because tom hardy > eddie redmayne.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, Valonqar said:

Venom is doing great cause it's fun, easy to follow for the uninitiated, isn't offensive to fans, it's rewatchable, and has awards-worthy performance of the year in its center. critics were wrong plain and simple. @Alli

Really? that good, huh?

TUESDAY sneaks get counted into the WEEKEND total???

WTF is happening. I wasnt that active on here in the last few months, so i missed a lot, but this is just ridiculous. How did this happen?

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1