YM!

Weekend Thread 11/16 - 11/18 - Grindelwald $25.7M Friday, Instant Family at $4.5M Friday

I couldn't give two craps about anything Harry Potter related and I think FB 2 under performing would be funny but I won't count my chickens before they are hatched. I'm waiting for the Thursday and weekend numbers. Anyway it's looking to make 600+mil overseas so it's not like it's looking to lose WB money over all even if it does under perform here in the states. 

People need to stop liberally throwing out the word bomb when it doesn't apply. Use under perform. Fantastic Beasts 2 potentially making say 170-190mil is not it bombing when it will also make 600+mil internationally.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 4

FB2 RT score drops big as reviews come in. Goes below JW2's 49% and probably 100 more reviews to come. Could end up close to JL's 40%.

46%
Average Rating: 5.5/10
Reviews Counted: 147
Fresh: 68
Rotten: 79

I'm inclined to believe that this will under-perform as every single imaginable card seems to be lining up against my Winter Game preseason predictions, and a low domestic total for this would just be another stick on the proverbial bonfire. Curse whoever is responsible for my own crappy predictions.

• Like 1

Im a total potterhead and i wont see FB2 in theaters, if ever. The first one was just mediocre and the trailers for this didnt convince me at all to see this one. I wont ever root against anything Harry Potter-related, but this spinoff/prequel-series just doesnt do it for me. And i dont think im the only HP-Fan who thinks so.

Still, a potential 650-8000M worldwide is a ton of money. If it doesnt have shit legs, the film should be very profitable for WB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think people in North America are tired of Depp's schtick so he won't add to FB2 numbers here but I don't think that he will hurt the numbers here either.

exactly. take Depp out and the numbers wouldn't change 

Depp is a non-factor as already pointed out. The factor are bland characters from the previous movie as well as that movies don't know what they want to be, lighthearted standalones about different kind of beasts or a sprawling Good vs Evil epic that builds up across several movies. This will be WB's POTC. Dom drop but steady or increased OS. 

Edited by Valonqar

considering I keep hearing this movie is nothing but set up for the next movie it probably will have bad legs

still international numbers look to be really strong and 750m worldwide is possible. I wonder if they will take any course correction in the next movie. Probably put more familiar characters/locations. 

• Like 1

Depp's been box-office poison for quite some time, which is why the announcement of his casting drew "Seriously?" reactions two years ago. I recall people groaned when he showed up at the end of Fantastic Beasts during my screening.

So they set themselves up for this by hiring him. Then again, he was the focal point of the marketing push (which otherwise had zero hook, following up a quite solid film that people seemed to enjoy). So... yeah it's fair to place some of the blame on his shoulders. But 100? No. 

• Like 1