YM!

Weekend Thread 11/16 - 11/18 - Grindelwald $25.7M Friday, Instant Family at $4.5M Friday

5 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Well at least in Europe I can tell with confidence that Bush is one of the most hated US presidents ever. Definetely more hated than Trump is right now. But that doesn't feel enough of a draw for anyone to see the film.

If it isn't Tarantino's revenge fantasy that rewrites history cause that's the whole point, it won't do well. 

Saw FB-2. Kinda late to the party, but good riddance to this movie franchise. Clusterfuck of epic proportions. Couldn’t get into the movie with so much sh*t going on with characters I didn’t give a damn about. Storylines going nowhere. Bad wom will definitely set in with it. Not surprised to see a bunch of confused faces leaving the theater last night.

10 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Annapurna is barely staying afloat and you believe that they can shepherd Vice to 100mil domestic. Good luck with that one.

I just kinda expect them to go all in like a cornered fox and do as much as they can to make it a success. This was one of their first major landings when they decided to become a distribution studio, and probably their biggest asset they've had outside of Bond 25.

Call me crazy.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I just kinda expect them to go all in like a cornered fox and do as much as they can to make it a success. This was one of their first major landings when they decided to become a distribution studio, and probably their biggest asset they've had outside of Bond 25.

Call me crazy.

This. If Vice fails, they collapse. They need this to be a hit.

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Call me crazy.

I'm sure they will do as much as they can but that doesn't mean that they will get the film to near 100mil. That is a tall order for a political comedy drama. 

• Like 1

FB2 must be shit cause when I read spoiler synopsis I couldn't understand WTF was going on. Too many unnecessary steps to get from point A to point B and side stories that don't add up to the whole. OTOH, I knew AIW was going to be awesome when I read the synopsis and it was easy to follow despite different locations and abundance of characters. It seems like FB2 is a movie that forgot to care about the movie at hand cause its head was already in future installments. Well, looks like there may not be any. Drop's gonna be horrid everywhere and it has no more markets to open save 1-2, no? You blew it, WB and JKR. 

Edited by Valonqar

3 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

To be fair Illumination only has made two good films (DM1 and Sing, have yet to see Grinch). The rest are either mediocre to garbage. 

That said, I don’t believe the kids who enjoy are suffering as every generation is nostalgic to something no matter how bad it is (again I don’t get why some of my friends are so fond of Shark Tale). Besides families, kids and a good amount of the GA like them, and their approach works far better than other studios as evident through box office so they’re aren’t talentless. However if their films were better, they could do so much more.

Garbage according to whom?  Not the kids who rush out to see it with their parents.

You must mean garbage according to you...to be fair.

• Like 5

Somehow Fantastic Beasts BO discussion turns into a discussion on the DCEU,  and these same posters had the nerve to say I am the one obsessed with the shit lmao :lol:   Only time you'll see me posting about a DC movie is if one is actually out.. 

Edited by Johnny Tran

Why does the mood here towards FB part 2 seem so dour.  Some of you guys are talking about it like it's going to make Expendables 3 money.  It's going to make 800 million WW.  There was even a a poster in here suggesting that WB might want to cancel making more films and then reboot it in 5 years.  WTF are some of you guys smoking?  This is a Potter spin off.  Tell me you don't honestly think these WW numbers are disappointing.  Jesus people.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Garbage according to whom?  Not the kids who rush out to see it with their parents.

True. Different strokes for different folks.

1 minute ago, Christmas baumer said:

Why does the mood here towards FB part 2 seem so dour.  Some of you guys are talking about it like it's going to make Expendables 3 money.  It's going to make 800 million WW.  There was even a a poster in here suggesting that WB might want to cancel making more films and then reboot it in 5 years.  WTF are some of you guys smoking?  This is a Potter spin off.  Tell me you don't honestly think these WW numbers are disappointing.  Jesus people.   

Probably around $700M instead but yeah, there is a lot of overreaction. FB3 remains a certainty, although the five-movie plan might prove too ambitious and done too late (FB was originally planned as a trilogy).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

The “if kids enjoy it then it’s fine” excuse for any movie is pretty insane to me.  Like yeah, young kids can like it, but we’re not young kids here.  Are we not allowed to discuss the quality of these movies from our perspective?

Edited by That One Guy

Never said that they were canceling the 3rd film. I just wondered IF the film starts having big drops and ends up with much lower than expected numbers what WB would do. The film's are not cheap to make. Of course I'm going to wait until 3 weeks to make definitive statements. 

22 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Looks good to me.  I don't think it's a "wow" number but worldwide FB2 will be fine.  Plus,  like you said it's a spin-off.  It's not like their spin-offs are finding it difficult to reach $400M.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

The “if kids enjoy it then it’s fine” excuse for any movie is pretty insane to me.  Like yeah, young kids can like it, but we’re not young kids here.  Are we not allowed to discuss the quality of these movies from our perspective?

You can discuss it any way you choose to, as can I.  But here's a secret between me and you...don't tell anyone, okay?

Film appeal to different people.  Not all films are made for you.  There's plenty of films that are made for kids and families to enjoy.  I know that might come as a big shock to you, but it's true.

• Thanks 1