YM!

Weekend Thread 11/16 - 11/18 - Grindelwald $25.7M Friday, Instant Family at $4.5M Friday

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Never said that they were canceling the 3rd film. I just wondered IF the film starts having big drops and ends up with much lower than expected numbers what WB would do. The film's are not cheap to make. Of course I'm going to wait until 3 weeks to make definitive statements. 

Wasn't referencing you.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Why does the mood here towards FB part 2 seem so dour.  Some of you guys are talking about it like it's going to make Expendables 3 money.  It's going to make 800 million WW.  There was even a a poster in here suggesting that WB might want to cancel making more films and then reboot it in 5 years.  WTF are some of you guys smoking?  This is a Potter spin off.  Tell me you don't honestly think these WW numbers are disappointing.  Jesus people.  

The WW numbers are good but the reviews and WOM might give Warner Bros pause for thought. We saw with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 that a studio is willing to cancel films and start afresh, I don't think Warner Bros will do that but at the same time, they're not going to let things continue as they are. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christmas baumer said:

You can discuss it any way you choose to, as can I.  But here's a secret between me and you...don't tell anyone, okay?

Film appeal to different people.  Not all films are made for you.  There's plenty of films that are made for kids and families to enjoy.  I know that might come as a big shock to you, but it's true.

You don’t have to act superior to me about a fact that I’m very aware of.  I’m allowed to discuss these films from my perspective without having multiple posters quoting me and saying “stop hating on this film, it’s not made for you!”  Like yeah, no shit, but that doesn’t give the movie a pass from being criticized

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

You don’t have to act superior to me about a fact that I’m very aware of.  I’m allowed to discuss these films from my perspective without having multiple posters quoting me and saying “stop hating on this film, it’s not made for you!”  Like yeah, no shit, but that doesn’t give the movie a pass from being criticized

I don;t think I'm superior to anyone.  But when you come out here and use strong statements like "shit films like the Grinch are making money" you don't think that opens you up to others responding to you?  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Why does the mood here towards FB part 2 seem so dour.  Some of you guys are talking about it like it's going to make Expendables 3 money.  It's going to make 800 million WW.  There was even a a poster in here suggesting that WB might want to cancel making more films and then reboot it in 5 years.  WTF are some of you guys smoking?  This is a Potter spin off.  Tell me you don't honestly think these WW numbers are disappointing.  Jesus people.  

It wont. Its likely gonna fall by

7-10m in South Korea

20-30m in China

40-60m Dom. 

Its also opened lower than the first in UK which was its 3rd biggest market. Japan is also expected to make less than the first. 

It opened higher than the first in some markets. But that was somewhat expected and these markets are not as big as the ones above. With ratings what they are, legs are likely gonna be worse than the first one. Low 700’s is where I think it is heading with high 600’s a possibility if legs are particularly bad in Japan/EU

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Christmas baumer said:

I don;t think I'm superior to anyone.  But when you come out here and use strong statements like "shit films like the Grinch are making money" you don't think that opens you up to others responding to you?  

I didn’t say they’re not allowed to respond to me.  I understand my original post was strongly worded, and I didn’t expect to have zero people respond to it.  But I think the mentality of “kids enjoy it so you’re not allowed to criticize it” is very flawed.

Anyway, my original post was meant to voice my gripes with most Dr. Seuss adaptations, which seem to blatantly disrespect the source material and Seuss’ wishes.  If people wanted to respond to me with their own thoughts on the movie and Seuss adaptations in general, I’d have no problem with that.

I wouldn't say FB2 is a failure...At least, not yet. At worst, is going to underperform.

However, this thing ain't getting 800 million worldwide. Not with the domestic numbers and drops almost everywhere. This wasn't a cheap movie, either. If producers want 3 more movies after this one, then yes, less than 200 million domestic might be a huge problem.

The competition for next weeks will also be tough. In China, it's getting beaten by Venom's second weekend. 

FB1 made 814 million worldwide.  It made 234 million domestic. FB2 made 62 million opening weekend and if it gets a 3x multiplier (that's a big IF ), then it ends with 186 million domestic ( 48 million less than the first movie ). In China, FB1 made 85 million. FB2 made 37 million this weekend and the audience reaction hasn't been good ( users say the movie might drop 90% next weekend ). So, 60 million in China might not happen. 

Overall, there's a chance this movie makes a sub 650-700 million worldwide. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Widows is solid. First thing I did after was look up who played Farrell's assistant cause SHE FINE.

yep did the same. feel like a real bozo that it tackles every social issue going and this is what i spent the whole movie thinking about.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yep did the same. feel like a real bozo that it tackles every social issue going and this is what i spent the whole movie thinking about.

It's trying to do a lot (with an all-around awesome cast) and I'm just sitting there like Lexman thinking "LOOOOK AT HER".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Such a right opinion:)...

C'mon, BOT, high school Spidey is not intended to be a cosmic alien bashing movie with $300M in special effects...for what Spidey is, this movie was awesome!

And for those saying there was nothing memorable here...the Keaton/Holland scene in the car...the Keaton/Holland scene in the building above...the Iron Man/Spidey scene after the ferry...the Captain American cameos...this Spidey movie has more memorable (yet also awesome) scenes than I can remember in a Spidey film...

Those scenes that you mentioned are all far and away the best moments of the movie, and really the kind of ones that leave any impact. But the movie does try to be a big superhero blockbuster from time and time, and the setpieces are so dull and/or uninspired that it makes you want to dislike the movie just a little bit, until it pulls you right back in again with a great smaller moment. That's why I think Homecoming is good but not great: it works quite strongly as a coming of age comedy about a kid with superpowers learning how to deal with priorities, and if you can envision it as nothing more than that, it's really good (not great, but really good). However, if you can't separate that fact that it also sometimes tries to be something bigger than that, it's less good, because those moments fail. At least imo they did. Plus, for a movie with that enormous of a budget, why did it look so bland and ugly? It had the asthetics of a Goddamn TV movie, and I've seen movies with half of its budget look way prettier. Be a little more artistic and less horrendously generic with your fucking cinematic visions.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

The WW numbers are good but the reviews and WOM might give Warner Bros pause for thought. We saw with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 that a studio is willing to cancel films and start afresh, I don't think Warner Bros will do that but at the same time, they're not going to let things continue as they are. 

They can't really cancel and reboot with Fantastic Beasts since it's an original property made for film. Rowling still owns the rights to the HP universe, they can't just make another film set in the world without her consent. And she would probably be royally pissed if they cancelled these movies. We're definitely getting another one. Beyond that, who knows. I suspect WB will force Rowling to tie up the narrative in the third chapter and leave the door open for more films depending on how that one does. No way they'll take a risk by assuming the audience will be there for all five. We all saw what happened with Divergent...

In regards to the underwhelming performance of various films, potentially award contenders, aimed at an older demographic, I think film studios are going to have to realise that if they stick to traditional release strategies for these kinds of movies, they're going to get eaten up by the big tent-pole releases. The fall movie season is starting to become the new summer in that there's almost a tentpole release every other week, leaving little room for films like First Man or Widows to fulfill heir box-office potential. Studios might have to think about giving them a slot in August and September when the market isn't filled to the brim with blockbusters or event films. It remains to be seen if the 2018 fall season is an outlier for the abundance of tent-pole films, but you can guarantee that after the successes of Venom and Halloween in particular, studios are going to heavily rely on these release slots for films of a similar profile in the future.
I might be over-reacting but it disappoints me to see stuff like Widows, Bad Times at the El Royale and First Man being left by the wayside when they may have done considerably better in August/September when the market is quite dry.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Give us all a name so I can engage in some research. Possibly for future legs post purposes (if Widows has good legs).

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

name plz

Haven't seen the movie so not sure which actress ya'll are referring to, but here is the complete list of all the cast in Widows...

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt4218572/fullcredits/cast?ref_=m_ttfc_3

All this love for Spiderman Homecoming  dripping from this thread is Heartwarming.

Also, remember when Bohemian Rhapsody was gonna be a boring, unpredicatable, daring, audacious arthouse biopic for critics nobody( or less people) would have cared about ?

Remember ?

Good times.

Edited by The Futurist