YM!

Weekend Thread 11/16 - 11/18 - Grindelwald $25.7M Friday, Instant Family at $4.5M Friday

4 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Well at least in Europe I can tell with confidence that Bush is one of the most hated US presidents ever. Definetely more hated than Trump is right now. But that doesn't feel enough of a draw for anyone to see the film.

Really? Bush is still hated worse than Trump? Long memories.

22 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Really? Bush is still hated worse than Trump? Long memories.

Trump hasn't done anything big foreign-policy wise so yeah he will have a very long way to go to reach the level of hatred Bush has globally due to the Iraq War. He is one of the devils of most European left-wing parties.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

People love Trump in Europe.  Europeans are all about defending borders ever since   Merkel let in millions of economic migrants. 

Loved seem a big word, some Europeans like American love him cult style, but overall most world populations are not big fan.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/225761/world-approval-leadership-drops-new-low.aspx

1wgounfrmucug07jc0r0xa.png

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

#Fake News. They didn’t ask the silent majority. 

That usually exactly what pollster do, ask the silent majority.

Everything else (what you personally perceived) is the exact opposite, influenced by an extremely vocal on the Internet pro-Trump minority.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:47 PM, the Quran said:

speaking of Santa Claus, does anyone know if Katniss Everdeen was written to be a genderless Republican, and the casting could have gone either direction?

meh..... The Hunger Games was about 'no rules' I think?

Edited by Slave Animal Rights
  • ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, gadd said:

In regards to the underwhelming performance of various films, potentially award contenders, aimed at an older demographic, I think film studios are going to have to realise that if they stick to traditional release strategies for these kinds of movies, they're going to get eaten up by the big tent-pole releases. The fall movie season is starting to become the new summer in that there's almost a tentpole release every other week, leaving little room for films like First Man or Widows to fulfill heir box-office potential. Studios might have to think about giving them a slot in August and September when the market isn't filled to the brim with blockbusters or event films. It remains to be seen if the 2018 fall season is an outlier for the abundance of tent-pole films, but you can guarantee that after the successes of Venom and Halloween in particular, studios are going to heavily rely on these release slots for films of a similar profile in the future.
I might be over-reacting but it disappoints me to see stuff like Widows, Bad Times at the El Royale and First Man being left by the wayside when they may have done considerably better in August/September when the market is quite dry.

A lot depends on the movies themselves. The Favourite opens next week. I am expecting it to have a pretty good PTA but will it expand well ? It is probably the kind of movie that needs a Best Picture win to go over $30 million. A lot of awards season hyped arthouse movies this year just don't have great box office potential.

50 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That usually exactly what pollster do, ask the silent majority.

Everything else (what you personally perceived) is the exact opposite, influenced by an extremely vocal on the Internet pro-Trump minority.

Well, the thing is he proved the pollsters wrong in the US 2016 (albeit only BARELY), some folks think that crap is true.

The 2018 US mid-term elections were nailed almost exactly by the pollsters, so hopefully we’ll see less of that in the future.

5 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Well, the thing is he proved the pollsters wrong in the US 2016 (albeit only BARELY), some folks think that crap is true.

The 2018 US mid-term elections were nailed almost exactly by the pollsters, so hopefully we’ll see less of that in the future.

Like you say barely:

Clinton vs Trump:

Prediction: 48.5% vs 44.9%

Actual      : 48.2% vs 46.1%

Overrated Clinton support by 0.3 point and underestimated Trump by 1.2 point and those were result well in marge of the margin of error and in the previous week predictions.

But that an trivially, one experience is only about the unsilent (thus why you know what they think), only well made and active poll that go out of their way to contact thousand of random people can by definition give some hindsight what people that never express themselve about a subject think about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gadd said:

In regards to the underwhelming performance of various films, potentially award contenders, aimed at an older demographic, I think film studios are going to have to realise that if they stick to traditional release strategies for these kinds of movies, they're going to get eaten up by the big tent-pole releases. The fall movie season is starting to become the new summer in that there's almost a tentpole release every other week, leaving little room for films like First Man or Widows to fulfill heir box-office potential. Studios might have to think about giving them a slot in August and September when the market isn't filled to the brim with blockbusters or event films. It remains to be seen if the 2018 fall season is an outlier for the abundance of tent-pole films, but you can guarantee that after the successes of Venom and Halloween in particular, studios are going to heavily rely on these release slots for films of a similar profile in the future.
I might be over-reacting but it disappoints me to see stuff like Widows, Bad Times at the El Royale and First Man being left by the wayside when they may have done considerably better in August/September when the market is quite dry.

Last year saw 7 of the 9 Best Picture nominees open in the final two months of the year and went on to make between $81M to $18M (and only one of them - The Post - wasn't an indie) so I don't think it's a matter of competing with the tentpoles. This year's crop of contenders, both the mainstream fare (minus A Star is Born) and the indies, just hasn't really connected for whatever reason.

7 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Well at least in Europe I can tell with confidence that Bush is one of the most hated US presidents ever. Definetely more hated than Trump is right now. But that doesn't feel enough of a draw for anyone to see the film.

Yeah in American and even in Canada, Bushs personality is that he comes of as a chill guy or that cowboy figure type. So here In NA, Bush Jr is way more liked then Trump. 

You know the guy "i wanna have a beer with" which in Europe is not a quality really people look in their leaders. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Knock It Off 1