YM!

Weekend Thread 11/16 - 11/18 - Grindelwald $25.7M Friday, Instant Family at $4.5M Friday

26 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I get the feeling Warner Bros wasn't expecting the reviews of Fantastic Beasts to be worse than The Meg! 

and it's tied with JL. same time last year. 40% critics and 74% aud RT for JL. FB2 is 40% critics with more reviews being added and audscore is 70% and sliding slowly but noticeably (started at 75%, the increased to 77% and now 70%). 

• Astonished 1

The Meg overcame reviews the same reason Venom did. Nobody was expecting anything but dumb fun. People weren't expecting real quality movies so there was no reason to care about reviews. The Harry Potter franchise is not in the same position I don't believe. I'd be surprised if FB2 had anything but middling legs at this point. And probably lack luster legs in many overseas markets. It still won't be a flop but it will probably hurt the franchise.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The Meg overcame reviews the same reason Venom did. Nobody was expecting anything but dumb fun. People weren't expecting real quality movies so there was no reason to care about reviews. The Harry Potter franchise is not in the same position I don't believe. I'd be surprised if FB2 had anything but middling legs at this point. And probably lack luster legs in many overseas markets. It still won't be a flop but it will probably hurt the franchise.

People have high expectations from a franchise that didn't have a single movie with nothing but excellent word of mouth in 2 decades...

Life is so much easier when you are mediocre... :whosad:

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

It'll be enough for Warner Bros to make changes. 

3 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Friday and Saturday estimates reduced, Sunday increased. Total same.

don't wanna sound rude but the new drop is still 28%, close enough to estimated 30% vs being closer to 20% as your source seemed to indicate?

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
2018/11/16 1 $25,500,000   4,163 $6,125   $25,500,000 1
2018/11/17 1 $21,350,000 -16% 4,163 $5,129   $46,850,000 2
2018/11/18 1 $15,400,000 -28% 4,163 $3,699   $62,250,000 3

Edit: nvm, 28% drop on Sunday like you said!

6 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

$14.928,003 reported Sunday on 3988 location. Including unreported will be $15.5mn Approx. -28% from Saturday.

Total weekend $62.75mn Approx.

Edited by a2k

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I get the feeling Warner Bros wasn't expecting the reviews of Fantastic Beasts to be worse than The Meg! 

I just hope it doesn't finish with a total less than The Meg ($143M) for their sake because that would be truly embarrassing. As it stands it's almost sure to finish with a total less than the opening weekend of Deathly Hallows Part 2 (a movie, I might add, that somehow looks highly accessible to Potter newbies in comparison to Fantastic Beasts 2) back in 2011.

• Disbelief 1

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just hope it doesn't finish with a total less than The Meg ($143M) for their sake because that would be truly embarrassing. As it stands it's almost sure to finish with a total less than the opening weekend of Deathly Hallows Part 2 (a movie, I might add, that somehow looks highly accessible to Potter newbies in comparison to Fantastic Beasts 2) back in 2011.

It won't; Thanksgiving will really help it, and the fact that afterwards nothing opens until the 14th 

53 minutes ago, a2k said:

don't wanna sound rude but the new drop is still 28%, close enough to estimated 30% vs being closer to 20% as your source seemed to indicate?

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
2018/11/16 1 $25,500,000   4,163 $6,125   $25,500,000 1
2018/11/17 1 $21,350,000 -16% 4,163 $5,129   $46,850,000 2
2018/11/18 1 $15,400,000 -28% 4,163 $3,699   $62,250,000 3

yesterday

$25,605,000

-- / $6,151
$25,605,000 / 1
$21,520,000

-16% / $5,169
$47,125,000 / 2
$15,075,000

-29.9% / $3,621
$62,200,000 / 3

6 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

$14.928,003 reported Sunday on 3988 location. Including unreported will be $15.5mn Approx. -28% from Saturday.

Total weekend $62.75mn Approx.

15 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Sunday reported gross is $10.5mn, -20% from Saturday. The overall drop could be 25% as night shows won't be as strong as Saturday. Heading for $16mn Sunday, for a weekend of $63.25mn.

He said 20% at the same time of day. 25% and then 28% was reported by him.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

If people don't want to see the film they won't see it. It doesn't matter if nothing is coming out. And it has major comp during Thanksgiving. 

That's only true for really bad and boring films. Average and above, and entertaining movies are always helped by empty landscape.

Which camp fantastic beasts falls in,  IDK.

@Blankments trailers

7:

Bumblebee (Incredibles 2, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Mission: Impossible – Fallout, Teen Titans Go! To the Movies, Alpha, The House with a Clock in Its Walls, Venom)

Widows (Ocean’s 8, Crazy Rich Asians, Searching, A Simple Favor, First Man, Bad Times at the El Royale, Bohemian Rhapsody)

6:

Alita: Battle Angel (Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Mission: Impossible – Fallout, Alpha, The Predator, Bohemian Rhapsody)

5:

Aquaman (Mission: Impossible – Fallout, The Meg, The Predator, First Man, Halloween)

Robin Hood (Mission: Impossible – Fallout, The Spy Who Dumped Me, A Simple Favor, First Man, Halloween)

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Love, Simon, Ready Player One, Deadpool 2, Alpha, Venom)

4:

Creed II (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Skyscraper, Sorry to Bother You, The Spy Who Dumped Me)

The Mule (A Star Is Born, Colette, Bad Times at the El Royale, Bohemian Rhapsody)

Vice (A Star Is Born, First Man, Bad Times at the El Royale, Bohemian Rhapsody)

3:

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Isle of Dogs, Avengers: Infinity War, A Star Is Born)

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Incredibles 2, The House with a Clock in Its Walls, Smallfoot)

Mary Poppins Returns (Leave No Trace, Christopher Robin, The House with a Clock in Its Walls)

Mortal Engines (The Commuter, Skyscraper, Searching)

Ralph Breaks the Internet (Incredibles 2, Teen Titans Go! To the Movies, Smallfoot)

Wonder Park (Leave No Trace, Christopher Robin, Smallfoot)

2:

Boy Erased (A Star Is Born, Bad Times at the El Royale)

The Favourite (A Star Is Born, Colette)

Green Book (First Man, Bohemian Rhapsody)

Instant Family (A Simple Favor, First Man)

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (Teen Titans Go! To the Movies, Smallfoot)

Mary Queen of Scots (Colette, First Man)

Rocketman (A Star Is Born, Bohemian Rhapsody)

Serenity (Tag, The Predator)

Shazam! (The Meg, Smallfoot)

1:

Captain Marvel (Venom)

The Current War (Wind River)

Dark Phoenix (Venom)

Destroyer (Halloween)

Dumbo (Christopher Robin)

Escape Room (Halloween)

Glass (Halloween)

Happy Death Day 2U (Halloween)

The New Mutants (Thor: Ragnarok)