YM!

Weekend Thread 11/16 - 11/18 - Grindelwald $25.7M Friday, Instant Family at $4.5M Friday

1 hour ago, Christmas baumer said:

Okay for those of you who are saying that it's a bad number, what exactly were you expecting? 60 million seems right where most prognosticators were predicting. So I don't know why everyone is starting off doom and gloom.

Baumer have you seen it yet? In work so haven’t time to look through the thread. I’m seeing it in two hours 

17 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

It's gonna do better than the OW of Fantastic Beasts 1 tho..... What's up with everyone saying China is rejecting it? It's not doing A LOT better, but still on par

around 55 lifetime is the optimistic scenario in China, down 36% from FB1's 86 despite a growing market.

8 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

No, it isn't the same thing at all? FB1 made a very nice profit, and worldwide more than Solo and Alice 2 combined.

Last year Pirates 5 also made a nice profit. And I said 'underperformances', not 'flops' (FB1 could be argued that it didn't underperform, sure, but its domestic OW was seen as such at the time).

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if WB will change things for the next FB movie, I suspect Yates will be replaced and JK Rowling will be kept as story writer but no longer write the scripts  

Yates directing was fine in this one though.. 

all the issues originate from the messy script imo.

Edited by RealLyre
  • Like 2

I remember when millions of Harry Potter fans went on JK Rowling's Twitter asking her to fire Johnny Depp. She treated them like they didn't matter. She will now miss their support. She won't be able to make all the 5 planned Fantastic Beasts movies. It's what she deserves.

WB didn't learn a thing from Justice League. The diehard fans may be just a small portion of the audience, but their loud and committed support is what make these movies open so big. The fans talk about the movie with other people, they share things on social media, and they get people to the theater with them. Studios and filmmakers shouldn't underestimate the importance of the fans.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Pinacolada said:

It's gonna do better than the OW of Fantastic Beasts 1 tho..... What's up with everyone saying China is rejecting it? It's not doing A LOT better, but still on par

OD number is slightly higher than the first film, but poor reception online could lead to a worse weekend multiplier and a lower OW.

Edited by KP1025

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I remember when millions of Harry Potter fans went on JK Rowling's Twitter asking her to fire Johnny Depp. She treated them like they didn't matter. She will now miss their support. She won't be able to make all the 5 planned Fantastic Beasts movies. It's what she deserves.

WB didn't learn a thing from Justice League. The diehard fans may be just a small portion of the audience, but their loud and committed support is what make these movies open so big. The fans talk about the movie with other people, they share things on social media, and they get people to the theater with them. Studios and filmmakers shouldn't underestimate the importance of the fans.

blaming Depp for FB2 underperformance is like blaming Ben Affleck for BvS's shortcomings.

• Thanks 1