Grade it  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Much better and more of a dramedy than I expected. This is the movie that Mark Wahlberg and director Sean Anders' previous two collaborations (those asinine Daddy's Home movies) should've been. It's heartwarming without feeling syrupy, and the light humorous touches work. It also gives some surprisingly thoughtful observations about foster parenting. Kudos to the cast as well: this feels like the most effort Wahlberg has put into a performance in a while Rose Byrne continues to charm in everything. The supporting cast (Octavia Spencer, Tig Notaro, Margo Martindale) is solid and the kids give natural performances as well. Ignore the lame trailer and give this a shot: it's a movie more likely to warm The Grinch's heart than the actual Grinch movie that's out this holiday season. B

• Like 2

I liked the natural humor, as the overcursing Warlberg has some great lines. I wish I knew how close to truth this one is as tje whole Janitor chapter is a bit dark. This was otherwise a great family movie, if your kids can handle innocent swears throughout and some dark matter. I did enjoy it. 

Contrary to what I was expecting from hit-or-miss trailers and the reunion of the star and director of the Daddy’s Home movies, Instant Family is a sweet, funny, and at times poignant comedy. I went in knowing that writer-director Sean Anders based parts of the film on his experiences as an adoptive foster parent, and his commitment to raising awareness and doing justice to the cause often carries the film; some of its messaging is on-the-nose, but the raw power of the film’s emotional moments registers strongly enough to cancel out many of the film’s less successful elements. Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne have solid comedic timing in the lead roles and feel believable as a couple that genuinely wants to help and love the children they take in. Young actress Isabela Moner also delivers an impressive breakthrough performance as the oldest of the adopted siblings; her wry comedy registers and she nails her character’s more vulnerable moments with resonant pathos. I really wasn’t expecting the film to hit as hard as it did, but it’s an effective crowd pleaser that earns its audience’s laughs and sniffles alike.

B

Stray Thoughts:

- This movie officially surpasses Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again as the most pleasantly surprised I've been with a movie in 2018. I really did not see this film's poignancy coming, and its humor hits too.

- Speaking of Sean Anders: his 2008 film Sex Drive was also pretty funny and had surprisingly effective character development for what was ostensibly a raunchy comedy. It's worth a look if it pops up on any streaming services.

- I'm glad that Isabela Moner has gotten two really noteworthy roles in 2018 (this film and a strong turn in the uneven Sicario sequel) after doing her damndest to singlehandedly save Transformers: The Last Knight.

- Octavia Spencer and Tig Notaro are also really good here. I'd gladly watch more footage of them as the foster care advocates.

On 12/2/2018 at 3:22 AM, Webslinger said:

- Speaking of Sean Anders: his 2008 film Sex Drive was also pretty funny and had surprisingly effective character development for what was ostensibly a raunchy comedy. It's worth a look if it pops up on any streaming services.

Big fan of that movie. Had some great humor in it. The standout was Seth Green IMO. 

Anders did a good job with Instant Family. I was not expecting much but a lot of the humor landed well and the film kept me entertained throughout, even if things did wrap up a little conveniently at the end. I enjoyed it overall.