Kalo

2020 Box office discussion

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

To be fair Black Widow and The Eternals don’t seems as big as say Captain Marvel, Endgame, Infinity War or Black Panther.

I could easily see both of them make Captain Marvel money tbh.

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

I could easily see both of them make Captain Marvel money tbh.

The Eternals maybe but Black Widow barring they put an Avenger or two doesn’t have the scale necessary.

26 minutes ago, Alli said:

the hype was too big for those movies. I think next year we have other things to get excited about....in terms of blockbusters

At about $3.9 B WW (maybe $5B with SM:FFH) the hype was probably too low. 

But I'm sure theaters will be thrilled by the possibility of films not making as much money next year.

Edited by TalismanRing

21 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Sonic has entered the arena.    

Also Nov 2019 went from crowded to a wasteland.

That's what happens when the creative team chooses to redesign a character.

This is nonetheless good because it allows the wealth to be spread into the smaller November films, ever so incrementally.

This is very good for Paramount as well, because they don't have to juggle the marketing for the Sonic film and for Terminator: Dark Fate all at once. They can focus primarily on Terminator to make sure that audiences don't view it as another Salvation or Genisys.

Everyone says 2020 looks like a really bad year at the Box Office, which is true, but I am actually really excited for next years. There are a lot of new original movies (Onward, Tenet, Jungle Cruise, Scoob...) that thanks to a not so good year they can have the potential to be really big hits. Another good thing IMO is that we will have a lot of surprises, even the sequels to successful movies (WW1984, Venom 2, Minions 2, Fast 9) are not guaranteed to increase over their predecessors. Even Marvel movies are a wild card next year (I hope The Eternals breaks out). Lastly, I think Cruella is going to do really good over christmas if they pull it off. 

My Predictions for 2020 DOM (Of the movies I can remember now, will update later): 

1. Wonder Woman 1984: $419m (I see a small increase, similar to THG:CF

2. Onward: $347m (I could see this doing similar to Zootopia) 

3. Mulan: $282m (If they keep the songs of the original) 

4. Black Widow: $277m (I see TWS numbers adjusted for this, although can go higher, really depends on details of the movie) 

5. Cruella: $261m (No competition over Christmas and can co-exist with The Croods 2) 

6. Tenet: $253m (Nolan)

7. Birds of Prey: $248m (Suicide Squad was pretty disliked so I think it will hurt it, but again it has Harley Queen so big it'll be a big hit)

8. The Eternals: $240m (This would be my initial prediction but really want +300m DOM for this) 

9. Dragon Empire: $236m (Disney Original Movie)

10. Godzilla vs Kong: $234m (This will be big OS)

11. Fast 9: $223m

12. Minions 2: $202m (I see a huge drop from Minion's $336m DOM, but will be insane OS) 

13. James Bond 25: $195m

14. Venom 2: $189m (Small decrease DOM, small increase OS) 

15. Jungle Cruise: $176m (Could do decent, depends on budget)

16. The Croods 2: $160m (Too late for this movie IMO, but we shall see) 

17. Scooby: $141m (I want this to break out, don't disappoint me WB)

18. A Quiet Place 2: $130m (Decrease) 

• Like 2

I think Dune is going to win 2020 at the moment.

It's Denis Villeneuve and it's science fiction and it's this and it's that and it's not something people are banking on to be a big blockbuster. I get all of that. But I think Dune has the potential to capture audiences the way Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter and Avatar and Game of Thrones* were able to capture audiences. It's something BIG and GRAND and EPIC. This could be a year where something BIG and GRAND and EPIC is able to stand out among the rest.

They greenlit the film in the first place for a reason.

* = especially Game of Thrones

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Slambros said:

It's Denis Villeneuve and it's science fiction and it's this and it's that and it's not something people are banking on to be a big blockbuster. I get all of that. But I think Dune has the potential to capture audiences the way Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter and Avatar and Game of Thrones* were able to capture audiences. It's something BIG and GRAND and EPIC. This could be a year where something BIG and GRAND and EPIC is able to stand out among the rest.

They greenlit the film in the first place for a reason.

* = especially Game of Thrones

Yeah but they are dividing it into two movies and is the first half of the book really compelling enough as its own film to break out so big? 

32 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Wouldn't that be great? I'm really hoping that Avatar 2 being delayed would give Dune a bit more leg room, considering how unspectacular that Dec looks. Maybe it'll work out, we'll have to see. I'm really excited for both Dune and Apple TV's adaptation of foundation. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah but they are dividing it into two movies and is the first half of the book really compelling enough as its own film to break out so big? 

I've never read the book to be honest...

So I'm not sure...

But fans would probably say it is.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Dune is nowhere near as popular as source material as Lord of the Rings.

I do acknowledge this... Dune isn't something that everyone is going to have known about before the first trailer surfaces, that's for sure. But I still think that the film can strike a chord with audiences in a similar way to a LofR or GoT. It's a huge gamble to bank on it, but I do think it has a real shot with the director and talent it's garnered.

• Like 1