Kalo

2020 Box office discussion

10 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Now that it's 2019 can we official declare that there will be NO Marvel films and NO Star Wars films released in 2020?

Black Widow and The Eternals are coming out 2020

No Star Wars though

47 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'll be curious to how Scooby fares, it's WAG's first film that adapted from the WBA/Hanna Barbera library and also the first CGI Scooby Doo film. I have a feeling they debut the teaser on the 50th anniversary of Scooby Doo which is September this year. 

Likewise, I’m holding out hope it breaks out and does $200M but I can TLBM numbers if good.

2020 takes:

Minions 2 is the nadir Of The Despicable Me franchise (sub $200M domestic but ~$800M WW), and Sing 2 pulls a Despicable Me 2, and does $300M+ as it and Avatar 2 dominate.

The Mitchells vs The Machines breaks out (thanks to the rumored animation style... please) as well as Scooby

Jungle Cruise, Mulan and Godzilla V Kong do $1B each. 

Superhero movie wise; WW1984 jumps to $500M, Eternals does around Guardians numbers, Birds of Prey does $260M, and Black Widow does sub $200M

Bad Boys and Maleficent 2 bomb 

Onward becomes the biggest animated movie of 2020.

40 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Likewise, I’m holding out hope it breaks out and does $200M but I can TLBM numbers if good.

It does depend on the release date, I think they need to move up a week to May 8th 2020 so it has a bit of breathing room. 

It might be that WB decides to debut a teaser for Scooby with Lego Movie 2 but that might be a bit early. Saying that, Smallfoot's teaser was 10 months before release and Lego Batman was 11 months, even Ninjago had a short a full year before its release so it can't be ruled out

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It does depend on the release date, I think they need to move up a week to May 8th 2020 so it has a bit of breathing room. 

It might be that WB decides to debut a teaser for Scooby with Lego Movie 2 but that might be a bit early. Saying that, Smallfoot's teaser was 10 months before release and Lego Batman was 11 months, even Ninjago had a short a full year before its release so it can't be ruled out

I heard WB moved it up to Q1 2020 now but where as Q1 is packed with family films.

Or move it to September as Croods 2 is no threat.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Black Widow and The Eternals are coming out 2020

No Star Wars though

Okay I guess I should reword my question.

Are Black Widow or Eternals far enough into pre-production that they can be released in the first half of 2020? If a Marvel film were to be released by May, 2020, it really needs to start filming VERY soon if not already. From what I read, these two projects are still in development.

Just asking because the first week of May (last week of April) is pretty clear right now.

5 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Are Black Widow or Eternals far enough into pre-production that they can be released in the first half of 2020? If a Marvel film were to be released by May, 2020, it really needs to start filming VERY soon if not already. From what I read, these two projects are still in development.

Just asking because the first week of May (last week of April) is pretty clear right now.

Yeah those films aren't confirmed at all. It's just speculation. I would imagine we'll get some Marvel films in 2020 and that they have begun production, but we just haven't heard about it. Otherwise, you're right: it's borderline to late to greenlight films for 2020.

13 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Black Widow will likely be in May and probably off a lower budget. The Eternals still has time to make it for November. The two are the farthest in development and probably will make it.

14 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yeah those films aren't confirmed at all. It's just speculation. I would imagine we'll get some Marvel films in 2020 and that they have begun production, but we just haven't heard about it. Otherwise, you're right: it's borderline to late to greenlight films for 2020.

How are they not confirmed? They've hired directors to work on them. They might not have done a big flashy event like they did to announce the phase 3 stuff, but they're very much working on the films and unless something has changed they still have plenty of Untitled Marvel Tentpoles slated for their usual dates.

Black Widow should be fine for a May release. They hired Cate Shortland like six months ago, so preproduction should be well underway.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, aabattery said:

How are they not confirmed? They've hired directors to work on them. They might not have done a big flashy event like they did to announce the phase 3 stuff, but they're very much working on the films and unless something has changed they still have plenty of Untitled Marvel Tentpoles slated for their usual dates.

Black Widow should be fine for a May release. They hired Cate Shortland like six months ago, so preproduction should be well underway.

Not confirmed for 2020 I mean. I know they're doing those movies.

Marvel wouldn't keep the actual production of a film secret. No need for that. If Black Widow and Eternals were into actual production and about to start filming, we'd know about it.

In the next 1-2 months we'd better hear about these two films actually starting production and getting ready to film if they are to be released in 2020-at least in the first half.

I say that because I actually expect Jumanji 3 to move into the vacant early May slot.

4 hours ago, jedijake said:

Marvel wouldn't keep the actual production of a film secret. No need for that. If Black Widow and Eternals were into actual production and about to start filming, we'd know about it.

In the next 1-2 months we'd better hear about these two films actually starting production and getting ready to film if they are to be released in 2020-at least in the first half.

I say that because I actually expect Jumanji 3 to move into the vacant early May slot.

Ugh I wanna see another Star Wars vs jumanji battle

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Jim has everyone running scared. :jeb!:

With the Avatar sequels they'll be in cinema for 12 months so they are actually no free slots for Star Wars / Marvel until 2023.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 1

700 - Avatar 2

400 - Wonder Woman 2

250 - Sing 2

250 - Minions 2

200 - UNTITLED - Pixar

200 - UNTITLED - Nolan

200 - Birds of Prey

200 - Godzilla vs Kong

200 - James Bond

175 - Fast and Furious 9