WrathOfHan

Thanksgiving Weekend Thread: ESTIMATES (Page 40) | Ralph 55.7M (84.5M Total) | Creed II 35.3M (55.8M Total) | The Grinch 30.2M | Grindelwald 29.7M | Robin Hood 9.1M (14.2M Total) | AMAZING BLACK FRIDAY SALE

22 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Still remember MBJ from his role in The Wire. 

22 hours ago, DAR said:

Friday Night Lights for me

On 11/21/2018 at 11:43 AM, PANDA said:

Makes me happy I was on the MBJ train since Fruitvale Station.

Since All My Children over here. ;) Where he was recasted into a role originally played by...Chadwick Boseman! Can’t make that stuff up. So very happy for his and Creed’s success!

Edited by mattie08
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

they need to drop the budget. instead of 50000000 magical effects, focus on 1 or 2 but make them pop. Like Venom. Cut the number of characters and more than anything cut the number of PoV. FB2 is bogged down by desire to give everyone a PoV and character arc. Improve the main leads or kill some and get replacements. Sack JKR.  

Not sure I agree with any of this, this want and can be a global franchise with attraction park all around the world and obviously one can't just sack JKR, who is her boss and traditionally she tend to sell story/book adaptation rights but not the characters that she like to own, not sure if she achieved to hold own to them all this time or if I understood correctly how it work too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not sure I agree with any of this, this want and can be a global franchise with attraction park all around the world and obviously one can't just sack JKR, who is her boss and traditionally she tend to sell story/book adaptation rights but not the characters that she like to own, not sure if she achieved to hold own to them all this time or if I understood correctly how it work too.

I don’t think they’ll drop Rowling because that’ll mean no more Wizarding World films. Its clear that she needs to be less involved with the process, write the plot for FB3 but let others handle the rest 

Budget wise, I think it’s unlikely they’d be able to make the films for say $100m, I think a $150-160m budget is feasible but it would require pay cuts from everyone 

Awesome starts for Ralph Breaks the Internet and Creed II. Each film far outpaced its predecessor's opening day (in fact, Creed II almost doubled Creed's opening day gross) and Ralph should make a very strong play at Frozen's Thanksgiving opening record.

Edited by Webslinger

The Rocky franchise is kind of amazing when you think about it. 8 movies about an underdog boxing, only one clear stinker (Rocky V) and still going strong. Rocky Balboa being good was definitely the point where the franchise achieved longevity because it closed Rocky’s story in a good way while opening it to Creed in a logical manner. Also earned the critics and fans trust back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Saw this brought up on twitter yesterday - the awards movies failing seems to be a combo of every awards bait movie being crammed into the last 2 months and the general public now thinking of awards bait movies as “Don’t need to watch this on the big screen because it’s awards bait which means it’s probably a slow and boring movie”

Which is something I have said on these forums. Release your movie. If it is good enough for awards, it's going to get nominated. Catering to the festival circuit or the 2 month release period for "Oscar movies," isnt the way to go if you want your film to have a healthy box office run ESPECIALLY since now studios are releasing films that aren't Oscar bait during this time too. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

Which is something I have said on these forums. Release your movie. If it is good enough for awards, it's going to get nominated. Catering to the festival circuit or the 2 month release period for "Oscar movies," isnt the way to go if you want your film to have a healthy box office run ESPECIALLY since now studios are releasing films that aren't Oscar bait during this time too. 

Not to mention that Oscar label didn't hurt ASIB one bit and many normies want Oscar for Rami Malek after seeing BR. Widows simply isn't an appealing movie to GA and festival crowd has very different taste.  Same goes for Green Book. Oscar or no Oscar, neither movie looks like a must-see. Viola, Viggo, Ali are no stars/boxoffice draws. I get that critics and festival crowd, whose taste lines up with critical since attendants are basically Awards Watch/Gold Derby/Other Oscar Bloggers, tried to make those actors into draws by hyping their movies. But they are not average Joe and Jane Multiplex whose priorities are very different, and who simply didn't take the bait.

Edited by Valonqar

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not to mention that Oscar label didn't hurt ASIB one bit and many normies want Oscar for Rami Malek after seeing BR. Widows simply isn't an appealing movie to GA and festival crowd has very different taste.  Same goes for Green Book. Oscar or no Oscar, neither movie looks like a must-see. Viola, Viggo, Ali are no stars/boxoffice draws. I get that critics and festival crowd, whose taste lines up with critical since attendants are basically Awards Watch/Gold Derby/Other Oscar Bloggers, tried to make those actors into draws by hyping their movies. But they are not average Joe and Jane Multiplex whose priorities are very different, and who simply didn't take the bait.

No. The problem is that Widows was marketed as an Oscar movie and not marketed as the heist movie that it actually is. Widows should have been marketed as "From the writer of Gone Girl," or alluded more to the heist part of the actual movie. Not marketed the way it was. 

I dont know much about Green Book or its marketed campaign but to me there was something off with Windows marketing. It felt like they were just aiming for the Oscar angle and the Oscar angle only without actually selling the movie itself or even using the names of the actors/actresses in the movie to sell it. 

If I didnt visit these forums, I probably would have thought Widows was a movie about Microsoft or something. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1