WrathOfHan

Thanksgiving Weekend Thread: ESTIMATES (Page 40) | Ralph 55.7M (84.5M Total) | Creed II 35.3M (55.8M Total) | The Grinch 30.2M | Grindelwald 29.7M | Robin Hood 9.1M (14.2M Total) | AMAZING BLACK FRIDAY SALE

Imagine predicting in July 2011, that the Movie set in the Harry Potter Universe in 2018 would gross less on OW and (potentially!) in overall domestic gross than that years Halloween Remake.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

No. The problem is that Widows was marketed as an Oscar movie and not marketed as the heist movie that it actually is. Widows should have been marketed as "From the writer of Gone Girl," or alluded more to the heist part of the actual movie. Not marketed the way it was. 

That's strange cause main complaint seems to be that it isn't a heist movie.  people who saw it expected an action packed heist but apparently the movie isn't interested in heist. And it's slow, all over the place and silly. I'm just posting the breakdown of negative opinions. It isn't an actual heist movie.

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Imagine predicting in July 2011, that the Movie set in the Harry Potter Universe in 2018 would gross less on OW and (potentially!) in overall domestic gross than that years Halloween Remake.

or that both a movie taking place in the Star Wars universe and one in the HP universe would make less than the 6th Mission Impossible

Image result for tom cruise laugh

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That's strange cause main complaint seems to be that it isn't a heist movie.  people who saw it expected an action packed heist but apparently the movie isn't interested in heist. And it's slow, all over the place and silly. I'm just posting the breakdown of negative opinions. It isn't an actual heist movie.

I can assure you that it is a heist movie but it is a heist movie that tackles a lot of real world issues at the same time. So some folks may have been thrown off by latter (or why they may have thought it was slow) but to claim it isn't a heist movie makes me believe that said people prob didnt watch the movie 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Incidentally Halloween and Potter have met twice before:

5 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix WB $292,004,738 4,285 $77,108,414 4,285 7/11 12/13
44 Halloween (2007) MGM/W $58,272,029 3,475 $26,362,367 3,472 8/31 12/13

3 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince WB $301,959,197 4,455 $77,835,727 4,325 7/15 12/17
84 Halloween II (2009) W/Dim. $33,392,973 3,088 $16,349,565 3,025 8/28 11/24

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Not only that, but the DOM Total is looking to be under DH2’s OW.

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I can assure you that it is a heist movie but it is a heist movie that tackles a lot of real world issues at the same time. So some folks may have been thrown off by latter (or why they may have thought it was slow) but to claim it isn't a heist movie makes me believe that said people prob didnt watch the movie 

Problem is that the marketing probably led people to believe that the heist itself makes up a good portion of the movie when it makes up 10-15 minutes tops. It's the same issue that First Man faced (making the mission itself the main focus of the marketing when it makes up only a tiny portion of the actual movie).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

It’s a mix of a heist movie and a crime drama.  It’s a much better crime drama with social commentary than a heist movie though.

Just now, filmlover said:

Problem is that the marketing probably led people to believe that the heist itself makes up a good portion of the movie when it makes up 10-15 minutes tops. It's the same issue that First Man faced (making the mission itself the main focus of the marketing when it makes up only a tiny portion of the actual movie).

Possibly. Honestly it's amazing how many films have been mismarketed in the last couple months alone. 

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

2011 would've been a crazy time to predict a Venom spin-off would make more than a Han Solo spin-off and HP spin-off both DOM and OS too. Considering...

giphy.gif

2011 would also be a crazy time to predict MCU domination, a 600m Incredibles sequel and the fact that there’d even be more Star Wars movies.

1 minute ago, oMeriMombatti said:

We can make a lot of cases when it comes to the under-performance of Solo but what really boggles my mind is that this year movies like Peter Rabbit, Maze Runner and Paddington out-grossed Solo OS. Also Valerian and Geostorm OS > Solo OS

Jumanji Dom beat Solo WW by 10m+. 2017 Dec no one would have thought that. Solo Dom itself was expected to do 300-350 with a similar amount OS for 600-700 WW. More aggressive estimates were closer to 800.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

this.