WrathOfHan

Thanksgiving Weekend Thread: ESTIMATES (Page 40) | Ralph 55.7M (84.5M Total) | Creed II 35.3M (55.8M Total) | The Grinch 30.2M | Grindelwald 29.7M | Robin Hood 9.1M (14.2M Total) | AMAZING BLACK FRIDAY SALE

Coco did 2.3m previews and went on to do 72.9m over 5 days

Moana had 2.6m previews and went on to do 82m over 5 days

The Good dinosaur did 1.3m previews and 56m over 5 days. 

Ralph being a sequel will be a bit more frontloaded and wont have the same previews to OW multi. But thats a good preview number for it

• Like 4

No joke I think MBJ is 100% ascending to the A-list within the next few years. Wouldn’t say he’s quite there yet but he’s damn fucking close. Needs maybe one more hit after Creed before I consider him top tier which is crazy

• Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Creed should get to 55+ and Ralph probably looking at 65+. Both will probably skew to previews a lot more than the first Creed and Moana/Coco.

Coco did $ 73M and Moana did $ 80M with $ 2.3 and $ 2.6M previews. There’s no way Ralph will make only $ 65M with almost $ 4M previews. 

It will be more frontloaded than Coco / Moana for sure, but still probably will hit $ 80M more or less (21x previews X 30-31x previews for Coco / Moana)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

No joke I think MBJ is 100% ascending to the A-list within the next few years. Wouldn’t say he’s quite there yet but he’s damn fucking close. Needs maybe one more hit after Creed before I consider him top tier which is crazy

Really? What else has he opened well aside from the first Creed? I think he’ll need several more name-above-the-title lead hits before he’s there. His other films haven’t done great overseas (including Creed)and he wasn’t the lead or the draw in Black Panther. 

Anyway, the Creed number is more impressive than the Ralph number. Previews starting at 5pm lol, glad they don’t try and call them midnights anymore. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I hope he gets supporting nom for BP. That would raise his prestige profile (not that he wasn't awards worthy for Fruitvale and first Creed). And a non-franchise hit on his name in the future. 

• Like 1

Trying to apply A-list from the 90's to A-list in the 2010's is silly. People call Chris Pratt A-list and he's never opened a non franchise picture to big numbers nor has he ever been considered for acting awards. At least MBJ is seen as a serious actor unlike Chris Pratt

• Like 2

The time when an actors name alone can open a movie to really big numbers is long gone. The only actor that can still do this, imo, is maybe Leo DiCaprio. And thats it.

Today, its a combination: Certain actors in certain roles can really help a movies success -> Tom Hardy in Venom, Jlaw in Hunger Games or Emma Watson in BatB 17 (yes, she was a big Draw for that)

But actors, even if they are perfect for a role, are only one element to the one thing that overshadows all of these smaller parts: The Concept. Pure und simple. Its the whole package, that makes movies in a day and age interesting, where everyone can learn everything about a movie prior to its release through the internet. If the thing looks interesting and GA-friendly and on top of that is anticipated for some reasons (for example, beeing part of a larger and liked franchise), then it will pay off massively. 

On the other hand, if it looks like something not worth your money or generally not ineresting enough, the film has - in my opinion - much less chances of beeing successfull than 20 years ago.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Makes me happy I was on the MBJ train since Fruitvale Station.

47 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Really? What else has he opened well aside from the first Creed? I think he’ll need several more name-above-the-title lead hits before he’s there. His other films haven’t done great overseas (including Creed)and he wasn’t the lead or the draw in Black Panther. 

Anyway, the Creed number is more impressive than the Ralph number. Previews starting at 5pm lol, glad they don’t try and call them midnights anymore. 

He got a ton of attention from BP. TONS. Wouldn’t be surprised if he got as much of a boost from it as Bozeman.

46 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I hope he gets supporting nom for BP. That would raise his prestige profile (not that he wasn't awards worthy for Fruitvale and first Creed). And a non-franchise hit on his name in the future. 

He was the best part of that movie IMO. If it deserves any nominations in the non-technical categories, it’s definitely

for him