WrathOfHan

Thanksgiving Weekend Thread: ESTIMATES (Page 40) | Ralph 55.7M (84.5M Total) | Creed II 35.3M (55.8M Total) | The Grinch 30.2M | Grindelwald 29.7M | Robin Hood 9.1M (14.2M Total) | AMAZING BLACK FRIDAY SALE

Just now, grim22 said:

Releasing political movies right after or during elections doesn't seem to work out. Miss Sloane was another big casualty of the 2016 election when people really did not want to watch another thing about politics after that nasty election season.

Releasing it on Election Day was a pompous move on their part.

44 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Releasing political movies right after or during elections doesn't seem to work out. Miss Sloane was another big casualty of the 2016 election when people really did not want to watch another thing about politics after that nasty election season.

At this point Reitman shouldn’t bother unless he’s got Diablo Cody with him. After Up in the Air, he’s pretty much been floundering.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

What’s the budget for Creed II? It’ll likely make its money back from domestic alone, I’m assume it’s being split 50/50 between MGM and Warner Bros. 

Im curious with any studio films that has two studios involved how the profits are divided up. 

Almost all movies now have many entity involved splitting profits, it change from movies to movies and often part of a slate type of deal, for example it could be a studio must propose to MGM 4 titles during the year on which they have the right to invest has highly has 25% of the spending (if you want people to take big risk you usually need to let them choose to invest in some safer hit).

With 2 major studio sometime it is really clean cut, say Monument Men, cost were 50/50 split almost perfectly, domestic release and domestic revenue with one studio and the rest of the world to the other studio.

Robocop was a movie MGM financed with Sony can give you an example:

https://wikileaks.org/sony/docs/03_03/MKTGFIN/Pre Release Memo/SNSITIVE/FY 2014/Robocop mktg pre (3).pdf

There is a column called WW (third from the right) where you can see what the scenario would look like if Sony would not have been in a co-production deal that you can compare with the MGM scenario's, you see how much of releasing/production cost MGM pay and how much MGM get from them....

You can read some leaked co-financing contract to have some idea how they divided up money in case like this:

https://wikileaks.org/sony/docs/03_03/RISKMGMT/Margie Salcido/Kate/Acq-to be entered/Columbia -American Hustle- Fully-Executed.pdf

Section 7 at the page 19 they go in detail, for an example of a co-production with a non-distributor partner (Annapurna here), you can look in numbers what it look like here:

https://wikileaks.org/sony/docs/03_03/MKTGFIN/Kathy Binder/2014/FY14 Sensitivities/FY14 Sensitivities 2014-04-24.pdf

(And monument men an other example just below it)

Hustle was: (50/50 Split with Annapurna (50% P&A backstop), U.S. Rights Only, R Rating, 12/13/13 rel. date), heavily financed by international pre-sales.

Monument men was: (50/50 Single Pot w/ Fox - SPE Distributes Domestic;

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Reitman's career is on the rocks. Even Tully didn't do well.

Tully was the only film of his last four films that wasn’t a critical dud, but yeah the box office left a lot to be desired. All 5 films he did since UITA combine to be less than half of that (and less than a third of Juno.)

What the fuck happened?

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Front Runner's numbers are beyond embarrassing. Not even gonna make $2M in total.

Minus the VHS quality and the Columbia logo of the trailer it didn’t look that good honestly. 

Plus the director had his two-punch last decade with Juno and Up In the Air. It’s time to realize that he’s not his father anyway.

Also political films with the exception of horror, action, or something very relevant in our society, no one cares. I mean Gary Hart isn’t an interesting E! True Hollywood Story In The first place.

And Hugh Jackman is a mostly hit celeb, but not everything he does is gold and this is one of them. 

The front runner looked awful. Hugh Hackman looked like he was wearing a wig that didn’t suit him, too. I had zero interest in seeing that awful looking movie after seeing the trailer.

the last two showings at my local AMC last night  0 people bought tickets to go.

• Haha 2

The Cinemark multiplex my lovely love wife and I frequent originally had The Front Runner slated for Tuesday night. Tickets were listed online and everything.

So when we get there that afternoon to see Fantastic Beasts, Green Book and Widows, it is nowhere to be seen and all traces of it are gone. That's how horrible the film is doing.

24 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

The Cinemark multiplex my lovely love wife and I frequent originally had The Front Runner slated for Tuesday night. Tickets were listed online and everything.

So when we get there that afternoon to see Fantastic Beasts, Green Book and Widows, it is nowhere to be seen and all traces of it are gone. That's how horrible the film is doing.

This happened at my AMC with Billy Lynn, another Sony title, two years ago lmao