WrathOfHan

Thanksgiving Weekend Thread: ESTIMATES (Page 40) | Ralph 55.7M (84.5M Total) | Creed II 35.3M (55.8M Total) | The Grinch 30.2M | Grindelwald 29.7M | Robin Hood 9.1M (14.2M Total) | AMAZING BLACK FRIDAY SALE

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

What Women Want is a movie about Mel Gibson being electrocuted multiple times

The poodle gag always annoys me. I would much rather watch a movie called What Dogs Want, but Nancy Meyers only used that idea as a 5-second joke. What a hack!

• Sad 1

Polar Express (which also had a third weekend at Thanksgiving) made approximately half of its domestic total after Thanksgiving weekend. Granted, it had better holds going into the weekend, but that would still put The Grinch at crossing 300m even if its legs are worse.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Mission Impossible 2 earned that much? ugh

Also have no idea what What Woman Want and The Perfect Storm is.

Now you make me feel so old. WWW is phenomenal in its day. Mel Gibson is Rom Com is hilarious. How the Perfect Storm made that loads of money is beyond me. Mark Wahlberg and George Clooney in their early prime.

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

What Women Want is actually kinda good for the first 90 minutes.  the issue is that it keeps going after that point

That pretty much describes all Nancy Meyers movies (except for maybe The Parent Trap and It's Complicated) tbh.

Edited by filmlover

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

don’t diss Something’s Gotta Give like that.

Great movie but definitely could've used some trimming. Though nothing beats The Holiday, a movie that paired up Kate Winslet with Jack Black (!) that ran 136 minutes.

16 minutes ago, Spagspiria said:

Polar Express (which also had a third weekend at Thanksgiving) made approximately half of its domestic total after Thanksgiving weekend. Granted, it had better holds going into the weekend, but that would still put The Grinch at crossing 300m even if its legs are worse.

Polar Express was released 14 years ago and had far better drops than what The Grinch is having. In addition, December this year is going to be a whole lot more competitive than 2004, especially for screens and theaters. So really its a terrible comparison. Looking at recent comps for November animations that opened before Thanksgiving (Big Hero 6, The Peanuts Movie, Trolls, The Star), $260M-$270M looks like the best case scenario. Currently I would bet on $245M.  

Edited by TomeRide

7 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

As bad as Kosner portrayal of Robin Hood was, the movie as a whole was very enjoyable and entertaining. It should never be compared to this new POS

Kostner movie had the power ballad (the staple of 90s blockbusters) and Alan Rickman, arguably two things the movie is famous for (it's infamous for Kostnen's accent). 

@Alli come over here! IF keeps slaying! Amazing hold! 

Ditto BR.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1