Eric Atreides

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse l June 2 2023 | Animators deserve better

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spider-man-spider-verse-sequel-spinoff-works-sony-1164210?utm_source=twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

With just weeks to go before Sony unveils the buzzy animated movie, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Sony Pictures Animation is already in the process of putting the pieces together for not just a sequel but a spinoff as well.

Joaquim Dos Santos, known for his work on cartoon series Avatar: The Last Airbender and more recently, Netflix’s Voltron series, has been tapped to direct the sequel.

• Like 1

Joaquim Dos Santos, known for his work on cartoon series Avatar: The Last Airbender and more recently, Netflix’s Voltron series, has been tapped to direct the sequel.

Juggling multiple characters should be right up his alley. And some quality animated action scenes as well. Sounds like a very logical choice.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/12/sony-spider-man-future-amy-pascal-phil-lord-interview

First, though, one of Pascal’s favorites, Gwen Stacy, will lead the way. The producer revealed that Sony’s upcoming Into the Spider-Verse sequel, directed by Joaquim Dos Santos (Avatar: The Last Airbender, Voltron) and written by David Callaham (Wonder Woman 1984, Zombieland 2), will be focused on Miles Morales and Gwen Stacy—and will explore a romance between the two, a thread from Lord’s original script that ultimately didn’t fit in Into the Spider-Verse.

Spider-Gwen’s transformation from love interest to friend and hero first may have had something to do with another Gwen Stacy advocate, producer Christina Steinberg, joining the Spider team. “I will say that Christina kept us honest,” Lord admits. “As five boys making a movie, it was really good to have another filmmaker there going, ‘I don't think you guys want to do it like this.’”

Will be interesting if the sequel actually has fewer "lead characters" than the first one. That would be a rarity in superhero movies these days.

33 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

When was the last time an animated film had a main interracial couple ? Genuinely curious, I think this could break that barrier.

Must be rare (often character are not humans or the movie do not feature a really explicit couple).

I have not seen it but John Smith and Pocahontas is probably the most famous one ?

On 12/14/2018 at 5:38 PM, JGAR4LIFE said:

When was the last time an animated film had a main interracial couple ? Genuinely curious, I think this could break that barrier.

Princess and The Frog

Edit: I should slow down on the scroll a bit - Deja beat me too it.  Also yes, Pocahontas - as controversial as it was -even if they did not end up together.

Edited by TalismanRing