Eric Atreides

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse l June 2 2023 | Animators deserve better

Please don't let this be a Lego Movie 2 situation.

I don't think it will though I don't expect a massive increase at the box office. Would be happy with $500M WW.

Hopefully will continue to see more and more shows/films use CGI but in a way that tries to emulate a 2D look. Thinking like Arcane and even apparently the future Avatar: The Last Airbender tv shows will try to do that. 

13 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Please don't let this be a Lego Movie 2 situation.

Lego Movie 1 was a BO smash on release but then was ignored by the Oscars, and spin-offs like Lego Batman and Lego Ninjago took away the novelty of the franchise. Spider-Verse 1 was average at the BO but became an awards darling and has longer staying power in pop-culture with more people discovering it on streaming, cable and VOD, with no spin-offs to wear off its novelty (unless No Way Home counts? It still lacks the cutting edge animation though).

I still find the first film to be hugely overrated. It's...fine? 

I do think this will see a sizable increase domestically (if things are fine in the box office world) and could hit $230m+. Overseas, maybe up to $300m (maximum best case imo) but most likely around $250m-$275m.

The new characters who are teased, Miguel O'Hara and Pavitr Prabhakar, seem to be included keeping specific OS markets in mind, in this case, Latin America and India, with the overabundance of Spanish and Indian language texts in their respective worlds. If Cindy Moon is included then South Korea will be another targeted market. Europe representative needed. Spider-Man UK?

Sony couldn't introduce Miles to the masses in a more excellent way. An animated trilogy (which is hopefully consistent when it comes to critical acclaim) and popular video games all coming out at the same time as Holland's younger years as live-action Peter is the best way to build up hype for Miles's live action debut about 5-6 years down the line, when Holland in his 30's can serve as a mentor to him.