Blankments

Dear Evan Hansen | Sep 24 2021 | Universal | Supposedly about "High School Students" | Premiering at TIFF!

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

What are other examples of one single casting decision ruining an entire movie? Feels like this has to be very high on that list.

I'd say The Wiz (1978). I will never understand why the studio allowed a 33 year old Diana Ross play the part of Dorothy, who's supposed to be 13 in every version of the story and even the Wiz play.

• Like 4

Real talk:

I forgot this was a musical. And I saw the movie. Absolutely nothing stands out except for Requiem and the (second?) number with the three kids.

Normally I can find at least one song to enjoy - and I did - but if I forget the tunes to any other songs at all, that's not good.

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

What are other examples of one single casting decision ruining an entire movie? Feels like this has to be very high on that list.

Oh, for sure. Granted, I think this version of the film has so many problems at a fundamental storytelling level that I'm not sure *anyone* in the title role could have saved it, but Ben Platt definitely sticks out as the one truly bad performance in a cast that is otherwise trying their hardest to do something meaningful with the deeply messy and problematic material.

8 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's not totally fair and I'm not sure a perfect similarity, but...

Alden Ehrenreich - Solo...

Ehrenreich did as well as he could in Solo and by most people who saw the movie, he’s one of the best parts. Here, platt is widely reviled in the role that made him famous; I don’t think they are remotely similar

(also btw this movie is terrible and makes me feel bad for liking the broadway show lol)

• Like 9

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

A 17 day Theatrical window? Oof

This is part of the deal Universal announced last year. If a movie opens under $50m it can go to PVOD in 17 days; if it's over $50m, the exclusive theatrical window is 31 days. They don't pull the movie from theaters in 3 weeks and there's some flexibility, since Old didn't go to PVOD that early. It's not anything unique to Dear Evan Hansen, but people love a pile on.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

This is part of the deal Universal announced last year. If a movie opens under $50m it can go to PVOD in 17 days; if it's over $50m, the exclusive theatrical window is 31 days. They don't pull the movie from theaters in 3 weeks and there's some flexibility, since Old didn't go to PVOD that early. It's not anything unique to Dear Evan Hansen, but people love a pile on.

Under $15m is understandable but $50m?  Odd to think of a movie opening to $45m and Paramount having the contractual right to choose to send it to POV in 17 days when it has the possibility to run to $120m+.  Theaters were really desperate to sign that.