WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (page 9): Ralph 25.8M | The Grinch 17.7M | Creed 16.8M | Grindelwald 11.2M | Bohemian Rhapsody 8.1M | Instant Family 7.2M | Hannah Grace 6.5M

30 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yep and all of these are huge surprises (plus BP becoming #1 MCU movie dom and breaking 700M barrier that team movies couldn't). 

of course, we also had a once in a lifetime bomb that we BO nerds appreciate as much as once in a lifetime hits. :Venom:

Wait, did John Carter come out this year?

Edit - That having been said, what WAS the budget on A Wrinkle in Time? Because if it was up around $250M, its not on par with Pluto Nash, but its at least getting into the neighborhood. John Carter at least did tolerably OS.

Edited by Wrath

21 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Wait, did John Carter come out this year?

Edit - That having been said, what WAS the budget on A Wrinkle in Time? Because if it was up around $250M, its not on par with Pluto Nash, but its at least getting into the neighborhood. John Carter at least did tolerably OS.

Wrinkle budget is NA on BOM so it's probably bigger than they want to admit.

However, Bomb of the Millennium/Since Movies Began, Solo: A Star Wars Story, was rumored to have budget north of 300M. :Venom:

Edited by Valonqar

Just now, Valonqar said:

Wrinkle budget is NA on BOM so it's probably bigger than they want to admit.

22 minutes ago, Wrath said:

That having been said, what WAS the budget on A Wrinkle in Time?

We do not know California production budget, but we know California qualified expenditure cost for them (basically below the line spending in CA)

http://film.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2.0-Website-Approved-Projects-List-Online-11.19.18.pdf

They spent $85M gross below the line in CA, $67M net of tax credit (imagining they can use them), add New Zealand shooting and all above the lines cost, 110-125m ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

And you only named the fall releases. Add to them the explosions of Black Panther, Infinity War and Incredibles, the massive successes of JW:FK, Jumanji in the beginning of the year, A Quiet Place, Deadpool 2 or Mission: Impossible Fallouts overall Worldwide run.

Cinema and Box office are alive and well.

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Yep and all of these are huge surprises (plus BP becoming #1 MCU movie dom and breaking 700M barrier that team movies couldn't). 

of course, we also had a once in a lifetime bomb that we BO nerds appreciate as much as once in a lifetime hits. :Venom:

Yeah, I didn't even mention more than the good runs from October onwards. All the big ones you guys mentioned, plus the smaller likes of The Greatest Showman, Crazy Rich Asians, I Can Only Imagine, Game Night, Peter Rabbit, Hotel Transylvania 3, Chinese mega hits like Operation Red Sea, lots of documentary hits like Won't You Be My Neighbor, Three Identical Strangers, RBG and Free Solo, and so forth; as well as hilarious mega flops like A Wrinkle In Time and Solo. Even sequels that no one was sure were going to do that well, such as Mamma Mia 2, Equalizer 2 and Goosebumps 2, ended up looking pretty fine in the BO picture. 2018 has been a tremendous year for box office.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

10 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Wow Bohemian Rhapsody is really smashing hard, huh? It’s coming for 600m globally. Poor “a Star is born”. Gaga really brought that movie down. I’m sure it would have grossed so much more had someone else been cast as supporting actress. I mean Bradley Coopers previous movie infinity war grossed 2 billion. So this is a huge decline. 

ASIB is bigger and more acclaimed than anything Shitney Spears did in her miserable lipsyching career. Her movie debut was also her last movie - it bombed and she won 2 razzies for it. Focus on that forgotten fad

10 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Wow Bohemian Rhapsody is really smashing hard, huh? It’s coming for 600m globally. Poor “a Star is born”. Gaga really brought that movie down. I’m sure it would have grossed so much more had someone else been cast as supporting actress. I mean Bradley Coopers previous movie infinity war grossed 2 billion. So this is a huge decline. 

Did...did you really just call Infinity War a Bradley Cooper film?!:winomg:

Edited by sfran43
  • Haha 1