WrathOfHan

The French Dispatch | Wes Anderson | October 22, 2021 | The Most Wes Anderson Movie to Exist?

I'm pretty excited for this. 

Yet, I wonder how  "Jojo Rabbit" being such a talked- about movie will affect this, given that Jojo clearly had Anderson-esque visual style and humour, and both movies seem to centre on WWII.

Anderson is also generally bad at writing women and female characters, and the fact that Saoirse isn't even on the poster makes me think that Lea Seydoux might have the bigger "female" role, which does not bode really well on paper.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2020 at 12:31 AM, Julian1410 said:

Is saoirse ronan still in this film? Her name is not on that poster which would be weird for her status

Probably is a small role, Anderson often has dozens of notable actors show up very briefly in his films, even frequent collaborators aren't necessarily in a big role in all his films.

Some Stills are floating around the web already, you can watch theme here https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/a-look-at-wes-andersons-new-new-yorker-inspired-film

Personally, I am a bit underwhelmed...it looks like every other Anderson Movie, nothing groundbreaking.

Pheraps it will be partially in B&W?

Also, Murray and Chalamet seem to be the most prominent characters, while maybe Swinton will get the biggest role out of the women featured in the cast; speaking of which, I'm mildly concerned as there really are way too many actors.... Saoirse will surely have a blink-and you miss it- cameo, but even the main cast is just too large.

Let's hope the film delivers, and let's wait for the trailer, but it does look like Wes is flying past his peak.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

He has way more control with stop motion though

I meant there's a pretty big improvement with his live action films after he does an animated film. Moonrise Kingdom and Budapest were a huge step up from his pre-Fantastic Mr Fox films, in terms of shot composition, and this looks like a step-up from those films. I think the freedom stop motion gives him makes much more precise with his framing and also allows his to be more creative with it which he then applies to his live action films. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1