MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

I wonder if Constance Wu’s whole social media meltdown was due to a role in this movie. Not sure how the production timeline works, but I really doubt she was so public about not being able to accept a role if it wasn’t for something big. Though FOTB is an ABC show so I’d assume Disney would be able to accommodate her if she was up for a Marvel film role.

Would’ve loved both her and Awkwafina in the MCU, but just Awkwafina for now is great. Don’t know anything about Simu, but I’ve heard great things about his show so glad he got this opportunity. I’m so pumped for this upcoming slate.

Really didn’t expect Marvel to announce so much, especially with D23 coming up and their recent secrecy, but I think they knew they needed a way to re-energize their fans and keep the potential ones they’ve gained over these past 2 years on board for more. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

I wonder if Constance Wu’s whole social media meltdown was due to a role in this movie. Not sure how the production timeline works, but I really doubt she was so public about not being able to accept a role if it wasn’t for something big. Though FOTB is an ABC show so I’d assume Disney would be able to accommodate her if she was up for a Marvel film role.

Would’ve loved both her and Awkwafina in the MCU, but just Awkwafina for now is great. Don’t know anything about Simu, but I’ve heard great things about his show so glad he got this opportunity. I’m so pumped for this upcoming slate.

Really didn’t expect Marvel to announce so much, especially with D23 coming up and their recent secrecy, but I think they knew they needed a way to re-energize their fans and keep the potential ones they’ve gained over these past 2 years on board for more. 

Yeah I'm wondering this too. FOTB is a 20+ episode show and her character is a lead so I don't think there's really a way to work around it if they conflict.  I really want to know the role she had to turn down lmao. 

To be frank, Awkwafina being in this is a downer for me, not a fan of her at all. 

But Simu definitely seems like interesting casting. I have not seen him in anything yet (I've been meaning to watch Kim's Convenience) but he seems like a charming guy who a lot of people are raving about. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with this role. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

To be frank, Awkwafina being in this is a downer for me, not a fan of her at all. 

But Simu definitely seems like interesting casting. I have not seen him in anything yet (I've been meaning to watch Kim's Convenience) but he seems like a charming guy who a lot of people are raving about. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with this role. 

Awkwafina has quickly proven she's the real deal. Never mind her goofy old raps.

Apparently Chinese message board aren't fans of the casting. Apparently they are't attractive enough or something. And they are also mad the villain is Chinese Chinese while the hero is Western Chinese lmao. 

So yeah...I won't be surprised if this isn't huge in China (obviously it will still do well since it's Marvel) I kinda thought Marvel would cast a mainland china actor. 

Edited by ban1o

As I said before, this movie is mainly getting made because of the domestic success of Black Panther and to some extent, Crazy Rich Asians. So it's no surprise that Marvel cast a Western lead. I've always thought that Shang being Chinese American would make for a more interesting story and set it apart from almost every other action film that centers an Asian lead. I've seen Asian Americans say they'd prefer for him to be American as well. 

Awkwafina's casting is interesting to me, in that, I can't really see her as the love interest. And I do wonder why Marvel didn't reveal who she's playing. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

As I said before, this movie is mainly getting made because of the domestic success of Black Panther and to some extent, Crazy Rich Asians. So it's no surprise that Marvel cast a Western lead. I've always thought that Shang being Chinese American would make for a more interesting story and set it apart from almost every other action film that centers an Asian lead. I've seen Asian Americans say they'd prefer for him to be American as well. 

Awkwafina's casting is interesting to me, in that, I can't really see her as the love interest. And I do wonder why Marvel didn't reveal who she's playing. 

Not sure if this is considered a spoiler, call sheet for the role that Awkwafina probably got

Spoiler

979-F921-A-9-FB7-4676-BDDB-AEECB5-DA5225

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Not sure if this is considered a spoiler, call sheet for the role that Awkwafina probably got

Hide contents

oh this is actually a interesting role for her then. So that means they'll probably still cast a love interest for Shang-chi. 

3 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

oh yeah I'm def glad thy cast Simu  I'm just repeating what's being said on Chinese message boards about the casting.

To be fair Africans really loved Black Panther as well it's just the box-office isn't really calculated in most African countries for some reason. Black Panther was the highest grossing movie by a lot in South Africa. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Hide contents

Yeah, I actually posted this back when it was first leaked and... I can't see her in this role either, lol. Although, that does look like the role she was cast in. I just wonder why they didn't reveal the character's name. 

She could still end up as the love interest as well but I do hope they cast someone else. 

It's a shame Marvel wasted Gemma Chan on a forgettable role in Captain Marvel because I definitely think she would be a better fit in this film.

• Like 1

AWKAFUNNY has got to be the *younger* character/female lead...she's only 31. (Was there a younger female role leaked?) 

There's probably still an older female character to announce that will hopefully be the Michelle Yeoh-status...or even Yeoh, herself!

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1