MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

26 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I mean I'm in Boston and it's basically fine here.

Yeah NJ is fine as well. There will be issues in some of the big metros (expecting a poor final day out of Philly for example) but I don't think this will cause some precipitous drop nationwide. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AJG said:

China has its own industry and doesn't really need American movies like they used to. If they want to watch $200m fighting movie they can do that. 

And whilst Mulan was an attempt to exploit that market, Raya and Shang-Chi are both American. They both have stuff that's inviting to Chinese audiences but they're so far removed. It's like saying Coming 2 America is made for Nigeria, or In The Heights was made for The Dominican Republic.

To be clear, I'm not saying that Chinese audiences SHOULD go for these. I mean it's hysterical that Hollywood desperately wants their money and therefore spends all of this money on Asian-centric material, only for it to backfire completely. 

On the other hand, half of this is more so due to arbitrary censorship BS. 

There is a certain irony in China rejecting a superhero film that was made in large part to appeal to that market. And before anyone jumps at me, I’m not saying that’s the sole reason this movie was made, but considering Disney’s track record of trying to appease China, it’s not difficult to imagine that this movie may have been prioritized partly for that reason. 

4 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

It's hysterical that China rejects any movie explicitly made FOR them. Mulan, Raya, now this. 

Raya was not even about China, it was influenced by Southeast Asian countries.

So why it was for China exactly? because Asia = China? it's ironic because it's completely the opposite of Shang Chi where people get mad when they say it's for Asian americans when they are not one single thing.

Edited by Fox20
  • Like 1

I was really bored by this. Awkwafina is annoying. Simu provides no charisma to an already flat character. It's all uninteresting CGI slop. The fights are overrated and don't differ from any other MCU film except maybe less cutting. Thank God for Tony Leung, though

But this was most packed a theater has been since probably Star Wars and they ate it up

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Fox20 said:

Raya was not even about China, it was influenced by Southeast Asian countries.

So why it was for China exactly? because Asia = China? it's ironic because it's completely the opposite of Shang Chi where people get mad when they say it's for Asian americans when they are not one single thing.

Did I say the movie was about China? Or did I say the movie was made for China, because Hollywood gonna Hollywood

Learn reading comprehension before trying to 'gotcha' people. 

• Knock It Off 1

16 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

99% audience score with 1000+ verified audience ratings on RT!

Increased from 98% 👀   

Does anyone know the highest critic+audience score movies? Not a super important/meaningful record of course but I’m interested now as a trivia.

9 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Increased from 98% 👀   

Does anyone know the highest critic+audience score movies? Not a super important/meaningful record of course but I’m interested now as a trivia.

Highest nonMCU from a quick search: 

The Godfather — 195 (holy fucking shit!)

Lotr: TTT — 190

Shawshank redemption — 189 

TDK — 188

Lotr:fotr — 186

MI:Fallout, DH2 — 185

MCU has a lot in the 179-185 zone, FFH and IM1 leading with 185. SC could set a new MCU record here. Must be said of course that movies which predate RT and movies in the verified era have a serious leg up on movies in between in terms of audience score.

52 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Seven Samurai has a combined 197 score on RT, which is the highest I've personally seen for any movie.