MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

Scarlett Johansson right now....

Could you explain how Shang-shi 71m make the 80m Widows OW with D+ and easy case of money left on the table (do not forget D+ figure are rolled over the BO numbers for bonus calculation in her case)  ?

It is not like Widow domestic OW was particularly low, leg and intl was the particularly weak element no (and where the test will be) ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I mean. SC is going to come in lower than BW on the 3 day. Don’t think this helps her legal case strictly looking at numbers. 

It’s great for her legal case. 

“an unknown character with an unknown actor managed to do $70m+, imagine what BW could’ve done without Disney+“ etc etc. 

Saw the film on SuperScreen, loved Awkwafina, her plane scene made me laugh out loud. The fight choreography is excellent for MCU, nice and clear, not edit edit edit. The cast are mostly likeable. The middle slows and drags a bit and the third act loses its way with all that’s going on. But the ending was satisfying as were the two end credits scenes. 

3/5. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

Why doesn't it have one? That's strange...

Please read up on China and what they're up to lately, as well as what they're prioritizing in terms of their movie/exhibition market.  There have been plenty of Hollywood trade articles about this in recent weeks.  Here's one that I posted in this thread just a while back:

https://variety.com/2021/film/asia/hollywood-china-box-office-eternals-shang-chi-2021-1235045498/

Edited by Macleod

45 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Please read up on China and what they're up to lately, as well as what they're prioritizing in terms of their movie/exhibition market.  There have been plenty of Hollywood trade articles about this in recent weeks.  Here's one that I posted in this thread just a while back:

https://variety.com/2021/film/asia/hollywood-china-box-office-eternals-shang-chi-2021-1235045498/

You also have to wonder if Disney wants to spend one of it's precioius Chinese film slots om Shang CHi, given what happened t Mulan in CHina. Granted, there are differences, (Shang CHi does not have the problem of having been done so many times the way Mulan did ....there was (by chinese standards) a huge budget version not that long ago) but still. Chinese audiences..in fact Asian audineces as well...have proven skeptical and often resisent to Hollywood attempts to  make Asian genre films.
CHina is becoming more agressive across the board. It;s openly courting the Taliban,for instance. I supsect even more tensions in the foreseeable future, and more economic warfare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

It’s great for her legal case. 

“an unknown character with an unknown actor managed to do $70m+, imagine what BW could’ve done without Disney+“ etc etc. 

Saw the film on SuperScreen, loved Awkwafina, her plane scene made me laugh out loud. The fight choreography is excellent for MCU, nice and clear, not edit edit edit. The cast are mostly likeable. The middle slows and drags a bit and the third act loses its way with all that’s going on. But the ending was satisfying as were the two end credits scenes. 

3/5. 

The last two solo debuts did 150m and 200m+ for the Mcu. There is nothing Scarlett can say from a number standpoint that will win her the case. 

2 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

The last two solo debuts did 150m and 200m+ for the Mcu. There is nothing Scarlett can say from a number standpoint that will win her the case. 

150-200 mill ow its not the bar for mcu movies....these were special cases....

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Could you explain how Shang-shi 71m make the 80m Widows OW with D+ and easy case of money left on the table (do not forget D+ figure are rolled over the BO numbers for bonus calculation in her case)  ?

It is not like Widow domestic OW was particularly low, leg and intl was the particularly weak element no (and where the test will be) ?

I'd say that this favors Johansson's case rather than not.  The headline from THR reads "Shang-Chi Smashes Labor Day Record with $83mil-Plus"  Yes, I know it's four days vs. three, and I know BW also had the Disney+ revenue, but perception is everything.  

The numbers are some *version* of reality...but the weight of what's been successful as pure-box office releases this summer vs. those titles that have chosen simultaneous streaming debuts rolls clearly in her argument's favor.   

42 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Not during the pandemic they didn’t. 

As I already posted. Scarlett just has to point to Shang-Chi which opened close (but not quite) to Black Widow despite her film being available at home the same day. 

She can, and will, argue that her film would’ve opened much higher without the at-home option. 

The only way Shang-Chi would’ve hurt Scarlett’s case is if it bombed. 

Just saw it and had a massive grin on my face for the majority of the first two thirds (particularly the bus scene), although I do have to admit that it kind of loses its way a bit in the final third and resorts to Marvel formula. That said, I can absolutely imagine that final third playing like gangbusters for Asian American audiences seeing themselves represented, but conversely I can also see why China probably won’t care about it as it feels a bit like Hollywood thinking it’s just invented the Asian superhero when Asian cinema has plenty of action heroes who have been around for decades (e.g. Donnie Yen in Ip Man, not a superhero, but considering how silly those films got, he’s not far off). Loved Simu and Awkwafina though, their chemistry is great and I look forward to seeing more of them. Tony Leung was reliably great as usual too.

Definitely down for a sequel and I did enjoy it, but Marvel definitely needs to start rethinking their third acts and trying to do something a bit different.

• Like 1

I wanted to pop back in this thread and do an "I told you so".  

I told everyone not to doubt this movie and it would play huge and shock the hell out of everyone that tracks box office.  

Love that this proved a whole lot of people wrong including Chapek.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thought this was just okay. Was a few legitimately great fight scenes sprinkled in the first 2 acts but I thought the drama and plotting was glacially slow and tedious. 

Awkafina is a triple threat. Terrible rapper, terrible actress and terrible person. She has it all. I find her irritating and this was no different. Worst part of the film for me. 

The 3rd act for me was great. I wasnt expecting it to be that since I went in pretty blind. It elevated the film for me. Maybe for others it won't work but for me I loved the grandiose mysticism and creatures.

Pretty middle of the pack MCU film for me. 

6/10

Edited by Dominic Draper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will add on another note despite my feelings about the film.

My gf and I got there a little early and a younger chinese teen was there by himself a few seats away and started excitedly talking to us about the film. He had strong reactions throughout the whole film and chatted us up after and he adored it. 

It was a cool little moment and he was so genuinely happy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

20 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

Post like that made me love that Awkwafina is having so much success.

You love when people use fake minstrel black accents to get famous and then ditch the accent when it's not needed because they dont actually talk like that while loudly proclaiming they wont do minstrel accents for asian characters because that would be bad without a  hint of self awareness? 

Cool cool cool.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Macleod said:

I'd say that this favors Johansson's case rather than not.  The headline from THR reads "Shang-Chi Smashes Labor Day Record with $83mil-Plus"  Yes, I know it's four days vs. three, and I know BW also had the Disney+ revenue, but perception is everything.  

The numbers are some *version* of reality...but the weight of what's been successful as pure-box office releases this summer vs. those titles that have chosen simultaneous streaming debuts rolls clearly in her argument's favor.   

This is a contract case.  Perception won't matter in court more than numbers.    They have a better case pointing to legs than opening hurt by PP.   Though it hurting legs could be countered by lower critical and audience scores/reaction and more competition than SC and other leggier Disney films released on PP like JC, Cruella etc.   I doubt either approach though is getting her an extra $50m since most of that potential loss is from O/S where the Delta surge probably hurt more than PP.