MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

3 minutes ago, exomassey said:

I don’t think what he says is even that bad. However it’s clear people are upset and the controversy will stop it getting a release.

However it looks like Shang Chi will be a big part of the Avengers going forward. Will future Avengers movies even get released in China going forward if he’s that unpopular there?

Considering how some people over there were finding ways to not want that movie over there as it was, they would’ve found something else if not this. Did anybody around here really expect this to get released there?

On the bright side SC now has “banned in China” street cred.

• Haha 3

China's whole entertainment industry is being regulated to death right now. They've literally just banned 'effeminate men' on tv whatever the heck that means. They already banned tattoos, headscarves, and recently started blurring out nipples on topless men on tv. They're also started cracking down hard on fandoms and fanclubs. The way it's going I won't be surprised if they just banned most of Hollywood movies going forward. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, RRA said:

Considering how some people over there were finding ways to not want that movie over there as it was, they would’ve found something else if not this. Did anybody around here really expect this to get released there?

On the bright side SC now has “banned in China” street cred.

Haha that’s very true. 

However Feige did do that big Chinese interview where he talked about Fu Manchu and other potential problematic things about the movie.

Its clear Marvel care about the Chinese market and seeing two films banned (and probably another with Eternals), won’t make them happy.

4 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

China's whole entertainment industry is being regulated to death right now. They've literally just banned 'effeminate men' on tv whatever the heck that means. They already banned tattoos, headscarves, and recently started blurring out nipples on topless men on tv. They're also started cracking down hard on fandoms and fanclubs. The way it's going I won't be surprised if they just banned most of Hollywood movies going forward. 

Wow really?

That is crazy. Why are they getting so strict now?

They only get 25% of China anyway, fuck it.

I would completely be on their side if it was something reasonable, but it's not. This movie is under ridiculous attacks for quite some time, people calling him ugly etc was just absurd. Now they search for old interviews of him telling his personal experience (and historically, he's not lying about 90's China) and get offended by that? Seems like people can talk what they want but the person must be quiet. Of course not everyone do that but it's bad for the movie so who cares about it being released at this point?

Honestly no one should care, this movie success is already written, this doesn't need China especially because because it wouldn't do much anyway with so many attacks.

If eventually Hollywood get banned there, whatever. Hollywood doesn't need China and China doesn't need Hollywood, it's better this way than this constants unreasonable polemics.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Eternals seems in a better stop to be honest, doesn't look there is a problem with the movie itself in China, only with Zhao, but this is way easier to solve (despite being also ridiculous).

Let's see how it goes, but if starts another unnecessary doom and gloom surrounding it, i wouldn't care with another banned movie, i doubt Eternals need China to be a success too.

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Eternals seems in a better stop to be honest, doesn't look there is a problem with the movie itself in China, only with Zhao, but this is way easier to solve (despite being also ridiculous).

Let's see how it goes, but if starts another unnecessary doom and gloom surrounding it, i wouldn't care with another banned movie, i doubt Eternals need China to be a success too.

I believe Eternals will feature Marvels first LGBT superhero.

After what was just posted, could it be banned because of that?

Clearly some people in China really want this to fail. After the great OW in NA there was some positive WOM and buzz on Weibo, that's why this clip is resurfacing now instead of when he was first cast 2 years ago. There's no point in addressing this clip now, they will find something else to stir up outrage against Simu. Whatever, I already wrote off the Chinese market for this movie in my heard, and for Eternals too.

• Like 2

The Chinese box office does help boost the international numbers for smaller films like Ant Man and Cap America to make it look more impressive. Marvel would be disappointed to lose that market and I guess there is nothing they can do.

Unless they have a breakout hit like Joker, a lot of Marvel films (aside from Avengers) would struggle to cross a billion without it.

It's funny because the movie seem that it could have been liked in China, not because "muh chinese actors" but because the movie is good and the few reviews in chinese that happened to watch the movie ( outside China ofc ) were mostly positive.

34 minutes ago, exomassey said:

The Chinese box office does help boost the international numbers for smaller films like Ant Man and Cap America to make it look more impressive. Marvel would be disappointed to lose that market and I guess there is nothing they can do.

Unless they have a breakout hit like Joker, a lot of Marvel films (aside from Avengers) would struggle to cross a billion without it.

I mean budget wise Ant-man was already a success without China, not impressive numbers but still good, Marvel can live without it, you don't need a billion to be a success.

Let alone that 90% of the next marvel movies are crossovers or hyped sequels with a bunch of heroes.

Edited by Fox20
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fox20 said:

I mean budget wise Ant-man was already a success without China, not impressive numbers but still good, Marvel can live without it, you don't need a billion to be a success.

Let alone that 90% of the next marvel movies are crossover or hyped sequels with a bunch of heroes.

Yes very true.

I suppose Joker is a bit of an anomaly. Just an amazing box office run for a single character.

1 hour ago, exomassey said:

IM3 did $1.093b w/o China.  BP did $1.24B+ without .  CW and CM were around $25m off  $1B without China.

I'm not sure if the first Cap movie even opened there.  If it did it was negligible and BOM doesn't have it listed.    Paramount didn't do a great job with International.

Extra revenue is always welcome but getting a return of about 23% with little to no ancillary and a big headache dealing with the gov't it's probably really only worth it for recent The Avengers films and if other Marvel films aren't playing there then the hype for the next Avengers there would probably severely diminish.

But and it's a huge one - there's Shanghai Disney Park - joint owned with companies owned by the Chinese Gov't.   So regardless of whether their films need it they're not going to burn bridges with China.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

They only get 25% of China anyway, fuck it

25% of without service charge & VAT. the actual is 21% Approx.

That too a film is doing $200M, its basically releasing on 20000+ prints. That cost like $20M+ to release & market.

The net revenue in China for something doing $200M is same as that doing $50M in AUS.

But not having that $200M in WW Gross, sure gonna hurt.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

25% of without service charge & VAT. the actual is 21% Approx.

That too a film is doing $200M, its basically releasing on 20000+ prints. That cost like $20M+ to release & market.

The net revenue in China for something doing $200M is same as that doing $50M in AUS.

But not having that $200M in WW Gross, sure gonna hurt.

There is virtually no analogue film print showing in a market like China, the approx is net what goes to studio.

That 21% net box office from China is the world average and not bad at all, calculate what is left off a movie with a $100M domestic run with a small $40m release in comp, it is less than 17% usually.

The difference is the after theatrical windows revenus that is better in many markets.

That was the annual slate rental by market for Sony shortly before the leak:

Total Retention rate Profit margin
UK 40% 23%
Germany 44% 22%
Australia 41% 22%
France 39% 19%
Spain 44% 13%
Russia 42% 22%
Japan 47% 15%
Brazil 40% 13%
Italy 41% 11%
South Korea 47% 19%
Mexico 37% 13%
Switzerland 42% 29%
Netherlands 40% 28%
China 25% 21%
Belgium 43% 26%
Austria 42% 27%
Average 40% 20%

Nothing special for China (low risk, average return) at least slate wise, studio release is almost free in exchange of the low return that end up being quite standard net wise.

Edited by Barnack

On 9/4/2021 at 7:30 PM, BoxOfficeZ said:

The third act really brought down this film for me, up till then it was very solid with establishing the drama and everyone's motivations. The hand to hand fighting was excellent but the CGI was not really used inspiringly so it looks kind of muddled color wise (so much gray). Simu Liu does a okay job of just doing what's needed on screen but I feel like he was outshined by supporting cast.

General audiences will def love it. 

It's an A movie until the third act. All of the terrible CGI and muddy colors, not to mention the dragons themselves being unnecessary, bring it down to a B+ movie. But damn, what a movie before then. 

• Like 1