MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

2 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Not sure where to post this since there's no weekday thread but 2.4M for Monday which is a 75% drop.  Somewhat understandable but it's back below BW tracking for the weekdays it seems.

BW is always above SC during normal weekdays. Then gets annihilated on the weekend. Summer has passed now.

• Like 5

It Chapter 2 made another $56.68m after it's second Monday of $2.241m. 

SC with $2.448  is 9% higher.  It 2 had a 57.1% 3rd w/e drop and SC should better that and gain more on it.

Meanwhile it's now over $1m less than TWS dailies ($3.462m) ($15.38m behind total) so I don't see it coming near $250m

We'll see after this weekend but $220-230m looks like the end range

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It Chapter 2 made another $56.68m after it's second Monday of $2.241m. 

SC with $2.448  is 9% higher.  It 2 had a 57.1% 3rd w/e drop and SC should better that and gain more on it.

Meanwhile it's now over $1m less than TWS dailies ($3.462m) ($15.38m behind total) so I don't see it coming near $250m

We'll see after this weekend but $220-230m looks like the end range

TWS had some spring break in that weekday, but still don’t see much reason to believe SC can match TWS’s 3rd or 4th weekend and it will be falling behind on weekdays as well. TWS had a relatively large drop on the 5th vs TASM2, but SC will get hit by V2 on the same weekend. Definitely seems more like a DS1 finish. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

TWS had some spring break in that weekday, but still don’t see much reason to believe SC can match TWS’s 3rd or 4th weekend and it will be falling behind on weekdays as well. TWS had a relatively large drop on the 5th vs TASM2, but SC will get hit by V2 on the same weekend. Definitely seems more like a DS1 finish. 

It did and the 3rd weekday daily drops (except Monday - for some a holiday after Easter which makes up a bit for the bad Easter Sunday) were around 50% but Tues was $2.2m and Wed & Thur were 1.7m+ so the dailies still should be ahead of SC's 3rd week dailies unless it gets 25% drops.

V2 might be a smaller hit than ASM2 but Bond should be a bigger one  then Halloween, Dune smaller.  After ASM2 TWS  got Neighbors (49m), Godzilla ($93m) , X-Men ($90.8m)   Then again it's probably more about the loss of screens and high end screens.

• Like 1

‘Shang-Chi’ doesn’t resist racist tropes. It just repackages them.

If Shang-Chi” breaks any ground, though, it won’t be for the quality and nuance of how it represents Asians or Asian Americans, but for the simple fact of that representation. The movie is an Orientalist fantasia that presents the same old tropes in slightly updated, somewhat self-aware, very expensive packaging.

Our inclusion in this comic book saga, banking hundreds of millions with each installment is, for many, enough. It’s not enough for me. I’m sorry. I’m not grateful for Shang Chi, because I’m not grateful for scraps from the table anymore.

I want a seat at the table.

I want the table.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/09/15/shang-chi-orientalist-fantasy/

great read.

• ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 1

It’s an ok piece even though I’m not really a fan of Walter Chaw. 

Shang Chi is a Marvel movie at the end of the day. He will become an Avenger and will get a seat ‘at the table’. (I don’t really know what he means here).

Adapting Shang Chi from the comic books was always going to be difficult because of his origins and being the ‘Master of Kung fu’. However I think the movie does a good job of changing it up and giving the character a better back story. I think saying it ‘Repackages racist tropes’ is a bit unfair to some extent. It is a bit generic but it definitely feels cool and inoffensive.