MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

14 hours ago, Fox20 said:

Pretty much evey "journalist" in Hollywood is blaming Simu for Shang Chi not having a release date because an old interview where he talks about his parents experience on China and many people already talking about the  "solutions" like cutting Shang Chi from Avengers movie so they can be released on China or sending Shang Chi to Disney+ and things like that.

That's all BS. He has the right to speak up. Plus, it was an interview done back in time when he didn't know it could be used as an excuse not to release his movie. It's very much like cancelling someone for old quotes, only this is cancelling CCP style. 

That said, I could see why China wouldn't like SC cause I've seen lots of complaints that he just isn't as cool as other Marvel leads because:

They are all romantic figures who have beautiful girlfriends or wives (Tony/Pepper, Thor/Jane, Cap/Peggy, T'Challa/Nakia, Parker/MJ, Stalord/Gamora, Scott/Hope, Strange/Christine, Ikaris/Sersi). Even Banner dated Nat, Vision married Wanda and Loki has Sylvie. However, even Awkwafina won't date SC while his father is an actual romantic figure because he had a romantic fight-courtship with a beautiful mom. 

Many have cool background/titles/jobs - billionaire inventor, Asgardian God/Prince, Wakandan King, war hero, legendary outlaw, famous surgeon, etc. SC has a deadend job. 

So yeah, not the coolest of the cool even with obligatory powers. 

New article by Variety (still seems a bit speculative):

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/shang-chi-china-ban-simu-liu-1235066529/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Hopefully Marvel don’t put Shang Chi in the background.

Would China actually ban all movies that include Simu Liu? Seems just stupid crazy. He hasn’t done anything wrong.

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

That's all BS. He has the right to speak up. Plus, it was an interview done back in time when he didn't know it could be used as an excuse not to release his movie. It's very much like cancelling someone for old quotes, only this is cancelling CCP style. 

That said, I could see why China wouldn't like SC cause I've seen lots of complaints that he just isn't as cool as other Marvel leads because:

They are all romantic figures who have beautiful girlfriends or wives (Tony/Pepper, Thor/Jane, Cap/Peggy, T'Challa/Nakia, Parker/MJ, Stalord/Gamora, Scott/Hope, Strange/Christine, Ikaris/Sersi). Even Banner dated Nat, Vision married Wanda and Loki has Sylvie. However, even Awkwafina won't date SC while his father is an actual romantic figure because he had a romantic fight-courtship with a beautiful mom. 

Many have cool background/titles/jobs - billionaire inventor, Asgardian God/Prince, Wakandan King, war hero, legendary outlaw, famous surgeon, etc. SC has a deadend job. 

So yeah, not the coolest of the cool even with obligatory powers. 

I saw a chinese youtuber that talked about Shang Chi and showed many reviews from chinese people ( in chinese obviously ) that saw the movie overseas ( either students or that happened to be out ) and was very liked by them and even the people that did not like it said nothing because it was offensive or anything negative against Simu.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, exomassey said:

New article by Variety (still seems a bit speculative):

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/shang-chi-china-ban-simu-liu-1235066529/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Hopefully Marvel don’t put Shang Chi in the background.

Would China actually ban all movies that include Simu Liu? Seems just stupid crazy. He hasn’t done anything wrong.

Not a bit speculative....its ONLY speculative.. it literally says nothing new ..it repeats the same thing...i imagine that if the film doesnt get a relesead date/gets banned @Gavin Feng will be the first one to inform us like he/she  did with black widow

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

I saw a chinese youtuber that talked about Shang Chi and showed many reviews from chinese people ( in chinese obviously ) that saw the movie overseas ( either students or that happened to be out ) and was very liked by them and even the people that did not like it said nothing because it was offensive or anything negative against Simu.

Character writing has nothing to do with an actor. I'm just saying that a number of redditors noticed that SC wasn't written as a  romantic figure because he wasn't given a love interest (and Awkwafina pointedly makes face when suggestion was made) unlike other MCU leads and his dad, and that he didn't have a cool job/title unlike most MCU leads. It's all in the movie. 

Edited by Valonqar

8 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Not like he worked at Baskin Robbins.

• Haha 7

7 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Character writing has nothing to do with an actor. I'm just saying that a number of redditors noticed that SC wasn't written as a  romantic figure because he wasn't given a love interest (and Awkwafina pointedly makes face when suggestion was made) unlike other MCU leads and his dad, and that he didn't have a cool job/title unlike most MCU leads. It's all in the movie. 

Wasn't the same said about Black Panther in his movie?

And either way it's irrelevant to the overall point of the discussion, they are not attacking Simu for his performance but everything else... I don't see why chinese people will "dislike" him enough to not like the movie because he is not the overly charismatic MCU lead... 

If we go by redditor all those "female romantic interest" are considered wasted by them, let alone that Ikaris/Sersi is so obviously going to be mostly flashback and Sersi most likely moved on already.

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The comments are indefensible, however it's a Twitter thing that won't have any impact

There is one post he made that is, even in the best of light, in EXTREMELY poor taste where he made a EXCEEDINGLY dumb analogy in trying to make a point about something.  I ain't gonna link it, but it can be found in that thread I linked in my last post.

But, and this is me talking, I do think that stepping back, looking to see if there is any context to posts being made, and not just jumping on the Twitter Pile On of the Day And Taking Them At Face Value is...

Well we'd all be better off not leaping to snap judgments when it comes to social media (which is one of the many reasons I ain't on it).

• Like 7