MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I just addressed that in my reply to you moments ago.

It didn't post in time before your post because of the limit

Either way, I think those are very bad comments but like I said, nothing consequential will emerge from this. Wright spewed anti-vax rhetoric last year, Johansson has made tone deaf comments and Gunn was rehired after gross tweets. This will probably just be something that blows over online

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Either way, I think those are very bad comments but like I said, nothing consequential will emerge from this. Wright spewed anti-vax rhetoric last year, Johansson has made tone deaf comments and Gunn was rehired after gross tweets. This will probably just be something that blows over online

Or Paul Bettany planning to kill and rape Amber Heard's dead body with his friend Johnny Depp, or Jeremy Renner, or Olsen racists comments about romani people, or Josh Brolin...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

But, and this is me talking, I do think that stepping back, looking to see if there is any context to posts being made, and not just jumping on the Twitter Pile On of the Day And Taking Them At Face Value is...

Well we'd all be better off not leaping to snap judgments when it comes to social media (which is one of the many reasons I ain't on it).

Sure but it's easier to just want to cancel someone immediately 

I do want to add one other thing, aksually.

I am not LGBTQ+.  I am not going to speak as if I were.  I do not have the life experiences to truly feel, emphasis on the word feel, just how offensive that is.   But, like duh obviously, that was a stupidly offensive analogy.

However, I don't think it was malicious.  I do think it is worthy of someone sitting him down and explaining to him, in detail if needed, just why that was such an offensive thing to say.

What I don't think it is worthy of is splashing it across the internet in a not-so-subtle way of trying to harm/derail his Hollywood career. That it isn't likely to work is mostly besides the point.  

Anything else I would have to say is probably just repeating variations of a point, so I'll leave it at that.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The way he posted it was terrible but for people that genuinely are born with those urges I can't even fathom how awful that must be. I would want to kill myself. Hurting my own child on accident makes me incredibly upset, if I didn't have my own control over my thoughts... sweet Christmas that would suck. 

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Porthos said:

/thread, as the young folks say.

I really do not understand the message posted here. Seem to be in complete opposition....

In the same thread (or elsewhere) he say:

Yeah. That one is real. Honestly everything except the “moderator of an anti-black women subreddit” is in some way based in reality. As I said earlier, this is really the only outta pocket thing he posted. But I genuinely believe it was just a poorly made argument, not malicious

Edited by Barnack

9 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I think he is too active online and doesn't really filter his thoughts.. and speaks his mind.

And as someone who is a public figure; things tend to come back to bite him.

Prime example of that recently was him taking Chapek's comments out of context and having a cringy knee jerk reaction.

Not sure if Marvel Studios will recast or just see if this will blow over, but if they were debating it because of those China comments then this might push them over the edge.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

Not too interested in discussing the substance or speculating about career effects (don't expect any) but not deleting your reddit account when you get hired seems nutso!

Really unsure but I think it was backed-archived an deleted account (I could be fully wrong)

These recasting theories are hilarious, the posts was from 6 years ago, people change, we saw this happening 50x worse with James Gunn and we all know how that ends.

I hardly doubt this will change any plan for the franchise or hurt box office, most people doesn't live on twitter.

That said, as a LGBTQ+ member i do hope he apologies, he seems like a changed guy and a good person now, so apologize for being wrong and mean in the past is the right thing to do with his audience.

• Like 7

Yeah this is much tamer than Gunn, and not going to cause any harm like e.g. Letitia's recent comments. An apology seems very likely, but SC2 wasn't coming until like 2024+, don't see this being an issue with staying power.

More curious how it plays vis a vis 2021 china release, but didn't have too high hopes there anyway.

so i read deep in it. some saying he was member of asian incel is completely fake. lol

basically "asian incels" ㅣoved him for being masculine confidence asian man, and "anti asian incel people" didn't like to see them joyful, making fun of simu and all that.. simu respond to those because incels tagged him on twitter.

and those anti asian incel people are mad at him for reacting to it.

• Like 3

we’ve had enough social media “scandals” that we should know how these things go: nothing unless they blow up big time* and keep going(and growing.) People in general have short attention spans and quickly get distracted by other stuff, enough celebs (and their PR teams) have learned to just play dumb/say nothing unless absolutely forced to. 

*=Gunn thing is a good example of the Streisand Effect: it only became a huge thing after Disney fired him. They made a problem worse. People took notes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

Prime example of that recently was him taking Chapek's comments out of context and having a cringy knee jerk reaction.

Not sure if Marvel Studios will recast or just see if this will blow over, but if they were debating it because of those China comments then this might push them over the edge.

Yeah, I really feel that sometimes less is more. Especially as a public figure; he doesn’t have to share his view on many things….

sometimes it is not the intention but how people perceive it. 

@RRA

The best thing that he could do right now is basically say I need some time to myself and delete everything. And then go away for like a month or two months and come back. The press tour is basically over. So all he’s really doing on Twitter right now is taking a victory lap. He can afford to go outside for a little bit

• Like 4

He was 26 when he made those posts, so let's not make him a 12yo child who discovered internet lol heck, he was older than me right now.

It's obvious that nothing will change. And, sometimes, apologies (most of them) in the show business are made because someone big forced you trying to not cause more damage, not because you are very sorry.

• Like 3