MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

November 12 DISNEY+ Release Date.

They could've put this out around Mid-october. I wonder what the delay is

https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-chi-disney-day-bob-chapek-theatrical-exhibition-1234841512/

hm intresting MAYBE bc of  a chinese release date in late oct ? :? ....

Spoiler

jokes aside, i really dont think that its a stretch

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, AJG said:

November 12 DISNEY+ Release Date.

They could've put this out around Mid-october. I wonder what the delay is

https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-chi-disney-day-bob-chapek-theatrical-exhibition-1234841512/

Probably figured they could get more out of theaters by waiting. I do wonder if anyone is gonna be mad though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, poweranimals said:

Probably figured they could get more out of theaters by waiting. I do wonder if anyone is gonna be mad though.

Presumably they’ll try and get it out on Blu Ray/DVD prior to the Disney+ release, so technically they didn’t lie about the 45 day theatrical exclusivity. I don’t think they ever specifically said “included with Disney+ subs after 45 days”.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dear Eric Hansen said:

I mean outside of the SYNERGY with this Disney+ Day stuff, they'll still probably put this on digital in like mid-October...wow, 45 days feels like a long time until you really think about it.

Honestly I've been searching "45 days after (insert movie release date here)" on Google as a way to decide if I should actually go to the cinema to watch a particular movie.

In most cases I'm comfortable just waiting it out.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

Honestly I've been searching "45 days after (insert movie release date here)" on Google as a way to decide if I should actually go to the cinema to watch a particular movie.

In most cases I'm comfortable just waiting it out.

Cinema won't be booming until it feels like a lifetime between the theatrical and digital release again. Knowing we won't get to watch it for a while is the main reason alot of us go.

I think that is actually mildly good news for late legs. Could even see some near-term effect if you had people planning to wait like 3 weeks and stream if free who now realize the choice is 3 weeks and pay for at home vs 7 weeks to stream free.

• Like 2

Also, seems like this will end with 98% audience, really surprised by that tbh.   

Even using all audience it’s 96% — combined with the 92 critic and the letterboxd score etc this is really one of the best received mcu movies which is no easy feat with 25 now.

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

Cinema won't be booming until it feels like a lifetime between the theatrical and digital release again. Knowing we won't get to watch it for a while is the main reason alot of us go.

I'm old enough to remember when Disney didn't release their older cartoon movies on video, so if you didn't catch it during their periodic re-releases...too bad. 

1 hour ago, Dear Eric Hansen said:

I mean outside of the SYNERGY with this Disney+ Day stuff, they'll still probably put this on digital in like mid-October...wow, 45 days feels like a long time until you really think about it.

This would make sense. 

What's funny is that Snake Eyes was suppose to hit Paramount Plus 45 days after its theatrical premiere and nowhere to be found. Perhaps it going to digital early caused that to get kicked down to October, but I would laugh if Shang-Chi was on D+ before Snake Eyes. 

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i had always assumed it was "at least 45 days" not an exact thing everytime. i don't expect eternals will drop on D+ on christmas like some have been saying either.

They might've considered if not for Encanto premiering that same day. 

Guess I was right that they weren’t going to put it straight on Disney+ !  I took some flack for that too, but I couldn’t see them throwing money away. 

So I guess we could see it hitting iTunes etc to buy outright the week commencing October 18th?  Likely 4K UHD/Blu-ray release a couple of weeks later? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Guess I was right that they weren’t going to put it straight on Disney+ !  I took some flack for that too, but I couldn’t see them throwing money away. 

So I guess we could see it hitting iTunes etc to buy outright the week commencing October 18th?  Likely 4K UHD/Blu-ray release a couple of weeks later? 

Seems likely. Mid October go VOD/PPV rentals. End of October Blu Ray/4K/DVD and then Disney+ on the 12th. That's probably their strategy to monetize their theatrical movies going forward. One shouldn't expect Theatrical -> Disney+ right away. Disney would be leaving money on the table. 

56 minutes ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

Seems likely. Mid October go VOD/PPV rentals. End of October Blu Ray/4K/DVD and then Disney+ on the 12th. That's probably their strategy to monetize their theatrical movies going forward. One shouldn't expect Theatrical -> Disney+ right away. Disney would be leaving money on the table. 

Exactly. 

Glad you’re speaking my language!

Now I hope the ‘they’ll put everything straight on Disney+ immediately after theaters’ crowd will admit they were wrong to assume Disney would not have multiple windows before ‘free’.  

They’ve been notably quiet tonight…..

• Like 1